By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy games for $80 If it included all content (launch and future), and no Micro-transactions?

Would you buy games for $80 If it included all content (launch and future), and no Micro-transactions?

Yes! 76 39.79%

No! 115 60.21%

Total:191
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Instead of charging more to accommodate high development costs, why not reduce development costs?

So you want the industry to implode? The only way this will be achieved is by mass layoffs and even potentially longer dev cycles (as companies no longer have the staff to power things through).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

No. What if I don't care about the DLC and whatever. Games should be complete from the start.

Nope. I am from the old school where everything was on disc, 100%, totally tested for bugs and shipped complete. I already expect a 100% complete game for $50.00 so charging $80.00? I'd just laugh and play retro games until the end of time. That or indie.

How about delivering a complete expierience at 60$?
I know, I know, game developement costs have gone up and maybe prices should go up in the US, but EU, AUS and canada? No. They pay enough already and are still bombarded with microtransactions and dlc.
I really don't mind dlc as long as it's an actual addition to the main expierience and not witheld content. TLOU and Mario Kart 8 are good examples of how to do dlc right. Please don't bombard me with weapon and character skins. It's annoying.
Microtransactions in a full priced game are always a no go. We should not have to beg or pay extra, to not have our full price expierience ruined by insistant nagging and shitty game mechanics designed to make us sink more money into something we already bought. Mircotransactions in full priced games are scummy, and that's that.

And while game developement costs might have risen I'd say the bigger impact on cost is marketing budgets. AAA games these days have insane marketing budgets, proving that there is more than enough money in the industry. I might be wrong, but somehow I don't buy that the whole industry would suddenly collapse if *gasp* they started delivering full expieriences again.

SuperNova said:

How about delivering a complete expierience at 60$?
I know, I know, game developement costs have gone up and maybe prices should go up in the US, but EU, AUS and canada? No. They pay enough already and are still bombarded with microtransactions and dlc.
I really don't mind dlc as long as it's an actual addition to the main expierience and not witheld content. TLOU and Mario Kart 8 are good examples of how to do dlc right. Please don't bombard me with weapon and character skins. It's annoying.
Microtransactions in a full priced game are always a no go. We should not have to beg or pay extra, to not have our full price expierience ruined by insistant nagging and shitty game mechanics designed to make us sink more money into something we already bought. Mircotransactions in full priced games are scummy, and that's that.

And while game developement costs might have risen I'd say the bigger impact on cost is marketing budgets. AAA games these days have insane marketing budgets, proving that there is more than enough money in the industry. I might be wrong, but somehow I don't buy that the whole industry would suddenly collapse if *gasp* they started delivering full expieriences again.

Is this really true? The main reason why prices are "higher" is because you have to pay much higher taxes and import fees for those countries than the US (where tax or import isn't included in the MSRP). 

I would be surprised if the next console tries to jump up to a $70 price point. I think that's why there's the push for gaming as a service, to help people pay over time instead of increasing the MSRPs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

It depends on the game. Some DLC is not really worth buying so I wouldn't spend 80$. If it's something like MK8 then maybe yeah.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Ka-pi96 said:
Froggasl8 said:
To answer your question. Yes
To elaborate.
Well in Australia we pay from $80-$120 and in my opinion games should cost more, at release anyway. Development costs have gone up so much but people just wanna pay less, people seem so entitled these days. I in no way have much money so I understand where people with not much income are coming from, but there is more than enough ways to find out if you would like a game before it comes out to be happy with your purchase. I have gotten into PC gaming more and I thought Steam sales where great but haven't touched almost any of the games yet on my ps4 I buy a game at full price and finish it every time. The psychology behind this would be great for a topic on here.

That goes both ways ya know. Developers just wanna take more money, they seem so entitled these days. It's a whole lot easier to choose a different game to buy than to find a new set of customers though...

This is true, I don't know enough about the budget and how much these companies and developers are making but the way things have been goin the past 10 years I honestly feel like the industry is going through a massive change. The mid tier dropping out along with dlc and microtransactions in everything doesnt just mean they are greedy but maybe they need that extra money.

Honestly, for the most part, no i wouldn't. Fallout 4 is still the only game to date, that i've bought dlc for. Most games, i can't care less what comes after the game is released, and i'm done playing it.

Ka-pi96 said:
Froggasl8 said:

This is true, I don't know enough about the budget and how much these companies and developers are making but the way things have been goin the past 10 years I honestly feel like the industry is going through a massive change. The mid tier dropping out along with dlc and microtransactions in everything doesnt just mean they are greedy but maybe they need that extra money.

Well if they can justify spending/charging more money for bigger and better games then fair enough. But I don't think they can. I think a lot of publishers are just throwing more money at games than they need to. Not every single game needs to be a graphical masterpiece and not every game can sell well enough to justify larger budge

They could be throwing more money than they need to but with so many moving parts now it makes sense why games cost so much. Even small games are like 5mil and that blows my mind. I agree with not every game has to be a graphical beast I'd be more than happy for the mid tier to come back those games were pretty much the same as AAA but they just werent as good looking. Its kind like how people say console is holding PC back Yes PC games could be beasts but you spend money to make money and the money spent is not worth the time, effort and reward. That goes for all devices.

People should just wait for the game to get cheaper. people are too hurry to get a game.