By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy games for $80 If it included all content (launch and future), and no Micro-transactions?

Would you buy games for $80 If it included all content (launch and future), and no Micro-transactions?

Yes! 76 39.79%

No! 115 60.21%

Total:191
outlawauron said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Instead of charging more to accommodate high development costs, why not reduce development costs?

So you want the industry to implode? The only way this will be achieved is by mass layoffs and even potentially longer dev cycles (as companies no longer have the staff to power things through).

Why is that necessary? The industry is filled with examples of relatively inexpensive games that made millions despite a small budget and small staff. And it's also filled with cautionary tales about studios overextending themselves and pouring millions and millions into a project only to see it underperform and lead to layoffs, closures, and, in some cases, bankruptcy. If anything, the status quo is the less sustainable option.

Around the Network

It's not the worst idea ever, and your logic makes sense, but if DLC is done right, its the ability to add more to a game you already love. You shouldn't be fforced to pay extra for a game you may not even enjoy.

jonager said:
or you can do what i do, wait for the game of the year edition with all the extra content at 40 or 50 bucks.

This :)

nanorazor said:
People should just wait for the game to get cheaper. people are too hurry to get a game.

And this :)

For a series like battlefield I'm paying $70 for the base game and $40 for premium which is $110 in total. So of course I'd pay 80$ but that would never happen because all the expansions you get are worth an awful lot more then $10 extra.

Around the Network

If people paid for dlc and similar "up front", then most deva would have little incentive to make the future content as good as possible - matter of fact it would be the opposite since they already have your money

I would go for option C: The game complete with everything from the start for $60, like they should be...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

My ideal situation is that expansions and DLCs MUST NOT be either material taken away from the original release, nor on disc unlockable contents, launch price must be $60 or lower ($55 or lower on PC, same figure in Euros, but including VAT, in EU), and at the same price some time after the first launch they must release an enhanced edition including the main expansions and DLCs released in the meantime, for the most ambitious games, if they match a lot my tastes, the enhanced edition will be my choice, while for example, although I like Morrowind, its somehow errand-boy gameplay if one, like me, likes to complete as many sidequests as possible, exacerbated in the Game of the Year Edition, made me choose a discounted plain initial release of Skyrim, instead of the Legendary or the Special one.
For the Witcher 1 and 2 OTOH, I chose the Enhanced Edition, and unlike usual, I bought them quite early, when they still were full priced, just with the usual 10-15% discount made by most large shops also on new titles, I wanted to reward dev and publisher for their DRM-free choice.
But $80 or 80€ no, never, neither for the best games, no way in hell.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Only if a developer was absolutely clear on the future release schedule of additional content

Personally, probably not, as I don't usually care for DLC and usually get games soon after launch, typically when they are cheaper.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi