By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Eurogamer is right, How many NXs will sell?

How many NXs will sell WW Lifetime?

0 to 10 Million 84 14.53%

10.1 - 20 Million 82 14.19%

20.1 - 30 Million 108 18.69%

30.1 - 50 Million 123 21.28%

50.1 - 75 Million 83 14.36%

75 Million + !!!! = Nintendomination 98 16.96%

Total:578
bananaking21 said:

again look at the WiiU hardware, if they were system sellers they would have moved a lot more WiiU units.

its very clear that a lot of the "casual crowd" dont care for nintendo games, they moved on to tablets and smartphones, and the core gamers dont care anymore either, as PC/PS/Xbox give them a much better gaming experience then the WiiU. 

Nintendo are doing one of the same mistakes they did with the WiiU, trying to appease to everyone, which will only result in them not appeasing to anyone. 

a handheld with a tegra graphics card, a dock to connect to the TV, detatchable controlers will result in harder mobility, lower battery life, and a more expensive machine than usual for handhelds, while also cutting down on the console experience by having less power than a 2017 console should have, a weird controller setup and a console that isnt a dedicated home console, which will have its drawbacks. 

That's just something you are making up. Smash Bros (core game) sold better than ever before on Wii U and 3DS, Zelda drew huge lines at e3 (core game) and the games you mentioned definitely did move 3DS consoles (unless the games on PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, NES and SNES also failed to move consoles of course). So those games sold the GBA, the DS, the Wii and the 3DS but hey - there is that one system that didn't sell so that's proof they are not system sellers anymore. And yeah, let's ignore those 75m+ Pokémon Go players because "the casuals don't care anymore". Here's a fun thought: If they care for the software they can also care for the hardware. Gaming is always about the software, it was never about making the strongest system. 

I'm personally sceptic of NX being a success from what I've heard so far and I think the Wii U is a very bad product but your posts just don't look all that objective to me. 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Looking at the sales of its games, looks like you're the one that doesn't realize it is a big deal.

again look at the WiiU hardware, if they were system sellers they would have moved a lot more WiiU units.

So were pretending that Nintendo games werent the main system sellers for 3DS?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
bananaking21 said:

Everyone knows it sold because the 3D was super popular...

bananaking21 said:

@bolded: which did next to nothing for the WiiU. 

the handheld market is shrinking drasitcally, smartphones and tablets are the new king. 

@underlined: i dont think you realize that thats not a big deal anymore. 

But did everything for the 3DS, the superior system for Nintendo games. NX will not only be even better than the 3DS but the only option, so a Wii U scenario is impossible by default.

And the 3DS even with it's flaws still sold a respectable 60 million.

Then explain why the people bought a 3DS if not for Nintendo games despite the fact that the vast majority of top selling 3DS software are Nintendo made.

Louie said:
bananaking21 said:

its very clear that a lot of the "casual crowd" dont care for nintendo games, they moved on to tablets and smartphones, and the core gamers dont care anymore either, as PC/PS/Xbox give them a much better gaming experience then the WiiU. 

Nintendo are doing one of the same mistakes they did with the WiiU, trying to appease to everyone, which will only result in them not appeasing to anyone. 

a handheld with a tegra graphics card, a dock to connect to the TV, detatchable controlers will result in harder mobility, lower battery life, and a more expensive machine than usual for handhelds, while also cutting down on the console experience by having less power than a 2017 console should have, a weird controller setup and a console that isnt a dedicated home console, which will have its drawbacks. 

That's just something you are making up. Smash Bros (core game) sold better than ever before on Wii U and 3DS, Zelda drew huge lines at e3 (core game) and the games you mentioned definitely did move 3DS consoles (unless the games on PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, NES and SNES also failed to move consoles of course). So those games sold the GBA, the DS, the Wii and the 3DS but hey - there is that one system that didn't sell so that's proof they are not system sellers anymore. And yeah, let's ignore those 75m+ Pokémon Go players because "the casuals don't care anymore". Here's a fun thought: If they care for the software they can also care for the hardware. Gaming is always about the software, it was never about making the strongest system. 

I'm personally sceptic of NX being a success from what I've heard so far and I think the Wii U is a very bad product but your posts just don't look all that objective to me. 

The problem with the combining the WiiU and 3DS total sales should make for something that sells 75+ million is the "what have you for me lately" part of the equation.  You grabbed on to Pokemon Go(already seeeing a drastic dropoff in users), a game that is FREE on a different platform - Cell Phones and Tablets!  Bananakings whole point!  Also, the WiiU and the 3ds sales have fallen off alot the last 18months.  handhelds in general have went way down over the last 3 years.  So, comparing previous gens of handheld sales will be very problematic.

People just have to accept that Nintendo hardware is mostly a niche product nowadays.  You never know, maybe the NX will somehow be a fad like the Wii, but I doubt it.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
zorg1000 said:

Well, it did sell 60% less than the previous Nintendo handheld console, and without even an opponent like the PSP... So maybe the Nintendo games didn't sell that much after all (or at least they sold a lot less than a few years ago). There is still a market for handheld consoles and games, and overall right now the 3DS is almost the only serious console on this market. We can't say that Nintendo games didn't sell 3DS at all, but it would be also blind to say that they were huge system sellers when the sales crashed even without competition...

The total handheld market went from 230+ millions to 75 millions in just one gen.... Mixing a heavily declining handheld market with a "currently heavily losing on the home market" console is a bold move, and can go either way: help both markets or bury them. It depends on if we have a console with the power and online of a home console with the price, third party support and ergonomics of an handheld one, or if we get a console with the power and online of an handheld and the price, third party support and ergonomics of a home one...

I fink rufly 12 million units per year for five years, possibly a bit more. So 60 million minimom, possibly more.

I can see this flopping or selling a modest amount. I'll go with 40 million.

Faelco said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Well, it did sell 60% less than the previous Nintendo handheld console, and without even an opponent like the PSP... So maybe the Nintendo games didn't sell that much after all (or at least they sold a lot less than a few years ago). There is still a market for handheld consoles and games, and overall right now the 3DS is almost the only serious console on this market. We can't say that Nintendo games didn't sell 3DS at all, but it would be also blind to say that they were huge system sellers when the sales crashed even without competition...

The total handheld market went from 230+ millions to 75 millions in just one gen.... Mixing a heavily declining handheld market with a "currently heavily losing on the home market" console is a bold move, and can go either way: help both markets or bury them.

DS sales are irrelevent to the fact that 3DS sales were primarily driven by Nintendo games.

Also 3DS has vastly stronger competition (iOS/Android) than DS.

Nintendo has sold over 70 million units of hardware this generation with six individual 10 million sellers, thirteen 5 million sellers & fourty-four 1 million sellers. Its pretty hard to say that Nintendo games dont sell hardware.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Landguy said:

People just have to accept that Nintendo hardware is mostly a niche product nowadays.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

....No wait, for real?

So let me guess, "Microsoft and Sony hardware are the most poupolar" Yes, cause i love that part when people mix those two, is like they are selling the same.

PS4 is the most popular console of the gen, yes. And 3DS is the second, fact.

Even if 3DS is way older, it is still outselling the Xbox one which is only 3 years old. and don't tell me that 3DS is selling more because the slim is out in one week, cause XBO is selling worse since January of this year.

You really wanna tell me 3DS is more niche than XBO?