By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz's Top Five Hack and Slash Games - Results are in! Detailed results inside

Nem said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Wolfenstein 3D made the FPS genre. Far Cry plays nothing like it, yet its an FPS game.

A game can start a genre, but other games can expand the genre into new territory, they need not be based on where things started, and Dynasty Warriors plays like what a hack and slash game would play.

I don't agree. I think Far cry is an open world game more than an FPS.

FPS i categorise the somewhat linear first person shooter experience.

The thing is, this trying to say they are expanding the genre is a huge mess. It just makes everything difficult to categorise and you are calling FPS's RPG's at the end of the day. We have to be more specific on our scrutiny or we end up with one category for all of them (wich action-adventure is becoming), wich just defeats the purpose.

As a general rule, whenever you're unsure on how to classify a game, I think the best advice is to take the approach Nintendo took with classifying Metroid Prime and look at what the core focus of the gameplay is. For Metroid Prime, it was adventuring, hence it was given the title "First Person Adventure," despite being played from a first person point of view and having almost all of Samus' offensive capabilities be firing projectiles.

So I agree with Nem here; hack and slash was a phrase that originated in order to describe the original Devil May Cry when it released, so it's obviously referring to the type of gameplay found in Devil May Cry. Which begs the question: "What does Devil May Cry focus on?" Hitting people with swords, yes, but more than anything it's about fast paced combat with an emphasis on juggling, long combos, and encouraging the player to be stylish. Perhaps most of all, it was about encouraging the player to be on the offensive as much as possible, which was something of a phenomenon for 3rd person action games at the time. Onimusha has none of these; the combat reminds me of a slightly faster Dark Souls more than anything.

Around the Network

1.God of war 3
2.God of war 2
3.Devil may Cry
4.God of War
5.God of war Ghost of Sparta

1. God Of War 3

2. God Of War 2

3. Bayonetta 2

4. Devil May Cry 3

5. Bayonetta

I have a few more, but I understand the rules here. :( Love hack and slash games.

PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Think people might be picking GOW 3 based on memory. It's good but it's nowhere close to the best, even if I'm not biased.

1. Devil May Cry 4
2. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
3. Onimusha 3
4. Bayonetta
5. Hyrule Warriors

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

IkePoR said:
Think people might be picking GOW 3 based on memory. It's good but it's nowhere close to the best, even if I'm not biased.

1. Devil May Cry 4
3. Onimusha 3
4. Bayonetta
5. Hyrule Warriors

I think most people are picking GoW 3 because they've never played any games in the genre outside of the GoW series. =p

(Before everybody jumps up my butthole, that's a joke. Mostly)

Around the Network

1. Devil May Cry 1.
2. Dynasty Warriors
3. Devil May Cry 4
4. Bayonetta
5. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

IkePoR said:

1. Devil May Cry 4
3. Onimusha 3
4. Bayonetta
5. Hyrule Warriors

MTZehvor said:
IkePoR said:

1. Devil May Cry 4
3. Onimusha 3
4. Bayonetta
5. Hyrule Warriors

I think most people are picking GoW 3 because they've never played any games in the genre outside of the GoW series. =p

Any proof of that, or are your arguments based on thin air?

While there are several good hack and slash games, none is all round great like God of War series with a few exceptions, and even then they can't beat God of War at its best. I've played the entire Devil May Cry series, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, Dynasty Warriors 3 and 7, Ninja Gaiden, Onimusha 1 and 2, Dante's Inferno and Darksiders series and none beats it.

Now stop this condescending attitude towards people who don't share your taste in games.

1. Bayonetta 2

2.Devil May Cry 3

3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

4: No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

5: Anarchy Reigns

My true form. You like it?

1. Diablo II
2. Diablo
3. Fighting Force
4. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
5. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

GOWTLOZ said:
IkePoR said:

1. Devil May Cry 4
3. Onimusha 3
4. Bayonetta
5. Hyrule Warriors

MTZehvor said:

Any proof of that, or are your arguments based on thin air?

While there are several good hack and slash games, none is all round great like God of War series with a few exceptions, and even then they can't beat God of War at its best. I've played the entire Devil May Cry series, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, Dynasty Warriors 3 and 7, Ninja Gaiden, Onimusha 1 and 2, Dante's Inferno and Darksiders series and none beats it.

Now stop this condescending attitude towards people who don't share your taste in games.

Aparently when anyone else gives an opinion about your favorite thing, they're being condescending and basing their arguments on thin air.  But when you give your opinion, you're not?  Oh wait, because you played a bunch of games you simply must know better right?  Well despite how golden and holy you think your opinion might be, it's still just that, an opinion. I based what I said on quality of the games and the creativity of the battle systems. Even the creator of GOW says DMC is better.

Now you stop this clawing arrogance about your favorite thing. 

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"