By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz's Top Five Hack and Slash Games - Results are in! Detailed results inside

wow, not even one mention of Onimusha 2?

Ok.. here we go.

1. Onimusha 2: Samuirai's Destiny
2. Ninja Gaiden 2 (xbox 360 version, not the mickey mouse version)
3. Bayonetta
4. Devil May Cry 3
5. Metal Gear Rising

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Btw, shouldn't Yakuza count as Hack and Slash?

Ronster316 said:
wow, not even one mention of Onimusha 2?

Jean Reno, dude. Jean Reno.

Onimusha 3 is a fantastic game, no two ways about it. would have given it 3rd place overall just behind Ninja Gaiden 2.

But because i wanted to go with one game from each franchise, Onimusha 2 edged out 3 due to having 5 playable characters....... and it also had Gogandantes "The Greatest Swordsman of all Demons" :)

1. God of War 2
2. God of War
3. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
4. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
5. God of War: Chains of Olympus

Nem said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:

I would think God Of War, made the genre, more than DMC.

God of war came after devil may cry. That was the first game in the genre as far as i know.

I guess it did. May have started the genre, but G.O.W. did it beetter, imo.  I've just always been bored with DMC games for some reason. I've still played them all, they just never held my attention as much as G.O.W. did. 

GOWTLOZ said:
Nem said:

I disagree. This was a genre made by devil may cry. Musou games are their own thing.

That lack of categorization is what leads us to the ridiculous action-adventure genre wich can encompass virtually anything.

Wolfenstein 3D made the FPS genre. Far Cry plays nothing like it, yet its an FPS game.

A game can start a genre, but other games can expand the genre into new territory, they need not be based on where things started, and Dynasty Warriors plays like what a hack and slash game would play.

I don't agree. I think Far cry is an open world game more than an FPS.

FPS i categorise the somewhat linear first person shooter experience.

The thing is, this trying to say they are expanding the genre is a huge mess. It just makes everything difficult to categorise and you are calling FPS's RPG's at the end of the day. We have to be more specific on our scrutiny or we end up with one category for all of them (wich action-adventure is becoming), wich just defeats the purpose.

Around the Network

1. Devil May Cry
2. Bloodborne
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
4. Devil May Cry 4
5. Bayonetta 2

Nem said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Wolfenstein 3D made the FPS genre. Far Cry plays nothing like it, yet its an FPS game.

A game can start a genre, but other games can expand the genre into new territory, they need not be based on where things started, and Dynasty Warriors plays like what a hack and slash game would play.

I don't agree. I think Far cry is an open world game more than an FPS.

FPS i categorise the somewhat linear first person shooter experience.

The thing is, this trying to say they are expanding the genre is a huge mess. It just makes everything difficult to categorise and you are calling FPS's RPG's at the end of the day. We have to be more specific on our scrutiny or we end up with one category for all of them (wich action-adventure is becoming), wich just defeats the purpose.

As a general rule, whenever you're unsure on how to classify a game, I think the best advice is to take the approach Nintendo took with classifying Metroid Prime and look at what the core focus of the gameplay is. For Metroid Prime, it was adventuring, hence it was given the title "First Person Adventure," despite being played from a first person point of view and having almost all of Samus' offensive capabilities be firing projectiles.

So I agree with Nem here; hack and slash was a phrase that originated in order to describe the original Devil May Cry when it released, so it's obviously referring to the type of gameplay found in Devil May Cry. Which begs the question: "What does Devil May Cry focus on?" Hitting people with swords, yes, but more than anything it's about fast paced combat with an emphasis on juggling, long combos, and encouraging the player to be stylish. Perhaps most of all, it was about encouraging the player to be on the offensive as much as possible, which was something of a phenomenon for 3rd person action games at the time. Onimusha has none of these; the combat reminds me of a slightly faster Dark Souls more than anything.

1.God of war 3
2.God of war 2
3.Devil may Cry
4.God of War
5.God of war Ghost of Sparta

1. God Of War 3

2. God Of War 2

3. Bayonetta 2

4. Devil May Cry 3

5. Bayonetta

I have a few more, but I understand the rules here. :( Love hack and slash games.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Think people might be picking GOW 3 based on memory. It's good but it's nowhere close to the best, even if I'm not biased.

1. Devil May Cry 4
2. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
3. Onimusha 3
4. Bayonetta
5. Hyrule Warriors

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"