By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest surprise of 2016 (so far)?

Nothing, really. :C

Around the Network

The Witchet 3: Blood and Wine. The biggest DLC i have ever played.

Rythm Heaven Megamix and Zelda.

Salt and Sanctuary. Bet no one ever played it here except me.

The developers were smart enough to say that they're making a "2D Souls" but actually make a Castlevania game. Because Dark Souls can also be loosely described as 3D castlevania. Though, to be fair, the RPG mechanics in S&N were very reminiscent of Dark Souls, and not the token stuff in Symphony of the Night.

It has good level design and eldrich horror. My favorite things I can find in any video game.

.- -... -.-. -..

axumblade said:
Spider-Man!

Partially because one of my most favorite studios are behind it. But mainly because we all kinda knew God Of War was coming. Crash was speculated for a bit. We knew we would see Zelda this year. Ratchet and Clank, Quantum Break and Uncharted all looked excellent before this year even started.

Yes! I forgot about Spiderman. Or rather, my intent with the discussion was surprise of current releases, so I didn't even think to include surprise announcements lol. Insomniac with Spiderman is such an odd combo but they're the undisputed king of independent studios so I have full faith that this game is going to kick ass. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
PieToast said:

The developers were smart enough to say that they're making a "2D Souls" but actually make a Castlevania game. Because Dark Souls can also be loosely described as 3D castlevania. Though, to be fair, the RPG mechanics in S&N were very reminiscent of Dark Souls, and not the token stuff in Symphony of the Night.

It has good level design and eldrich horror. My favorite things I can find in any video game.

Forgive the double post, didn't notice this when I replied and I don't know if I edit the quote in that you'll see it as a direct reply on your end. 

What is the difficulty on Salt and Sanctuary? Like is it random Dark Souls esque difficulty or is it legitimately closer to Castlevania? Because the game looked beautiful but the Souls description personally turned me off because I just can't get into the Souls games. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I was happily surprised by Pokken Tournament and Severed, both among the best games of the year.

I was unhappily surprised by Mutants in Manhattan, which is among Platinum's worst efforts.

Zero Time Dilemma.

I knew it was going to be good, but I'm surprised to see that it will probably be my GOTY.

Ganoncrotch said:
jason1637 said:
Neo and Scorpio

you are surprised by something which hasn't been announced? I mean that is some next level surprise right there.

It's been confirmed to be real by Sony

DivinePaladin said:
PieToast said:

Forgive the double post, didn't notice this when I replied and I don't know if I edit the quote in that you'll see it as a direct reply on your end. 

What is the difficulty on Salt and Sanctuary? Like is it random Dark Souls esque difficulty or is it legitimately closer to Castlevania? Because the game looked beautiful but the Souls description personally turned me off because I just can't get into the Souls games. 

If you enjoy Castlevania, I'm sure you'll enjoy this game. My only criticism is that it doesn't have the music or a map. Maybe the ambience in Souls games worked to give them a little more atmosphere, but not in 2D imo.

As for the difficulty. Souls games are not as difficult as it's fanbase claims. Well... maybe they are but it depends on the player and how well they can remember the enemy patterns and how well they can manage their recourses, and players are punishment for their mistakes so they can learn for them. Even if you die, you still get a chance to get your Salt, souls or whatever back. 

You can always grind though. What's awesome about Salt and Sanctuary is that there's almost always a different branching path (secret or otherwise) you can go to, and you can skip some bosses altogether. If an area or a boss proved to be too difficult for you, then explore a different path and find more secrets on your way.

.- -... -.-. -..