By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest surprise of 2016 (so far)?

The existence of Paper Mario: Color Splash. I'm still reeling from it. On a happy note, Zelda looks bloody amazing.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Around the Network

zelda :P

rccsetzer said:
The Witchet 3: Blood and Wine. The biggest DLC i have ever played.

i'm still playing the main campaign, how long is that dlc? 20 hours or so?

Zeruda's tweaks and twists to a traditional formula. It looks amazing.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I have only gotten 2 new games this year so far. PvZ Garden Warfare 2 and Uncharted 4. I already knew Uncharted 4 would be amazing so I guess PvZ for how fun the multiplayer is.

Around the Network

Mighty No. 9 actually came out.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

PieToast said:
DivinePaladin said:

Forgive the double post, didn't notice this when I replied and I don't know if I edit the quote in that you'll see it as a direct reply on your end. 

What is the difficulty on Salt and Sanctuary? Like is it random Dark Souls esque difficulty or is it legitimately closer to Castlevania? Because the game looked beautiful but the Souls description personally turned me off because I just can't get into the Souls games. 

If you enjoy Castlevania, I'm sure you'll enjoy this game. My only criticism is that it doesn't have the music or a map. Maybe the ambience in Souls games worked to give them a little more atmosphere, but not in 2D imo.

As for the difficulty. Souls games are not as difficult as it's fanbase claims. Well... maybe they are but it depends on the player and how well they can remember the enemy patterns and how well they can manage their recourses, and players are punishment for their mistakes so they can learn for them. Even if you die, you still get a chance to get your Salt, souls or whatever back. 

You can always grind though. What's awesome about Salt and Sanctuary is that there's almost always a different branching path (secret or otherwise) you can go to, and you can skip some bosses altogether. If an area or a boss proved to be too difficult for you, then explore a different path and find more secrets on your way.

Well the way I'd personally phrase Souls difficulty is "poorly" but I didn't want to start a war. I'm simply not a fan at all of their brand of difficulty, whether it's truly difficult or not. I get the love for the games but I don't care enough about a barebones-on-the-surface plot enough to put myself through constant death just to learn the correct course of action. It's not my cup of tea. I've always been interested in Castlevania, contrarily, even if the mechanics were dated in the original series. It's something I've never gotten around to picking up though. Probably soon, since I conquered classic Megaman last year - though the whole YouTube thing eats a lot of my free time, so I probably won't conquer them all in a month like I did with MM! Lol

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

axumblade said:
DivinePaladin said:

Yes! I forgot about Spiderman. Or rather, my intent with the discussion was surprise of current releases, so I didn't even think to include surprise announcements lol. Insomniac with Spiderman is such an odd combo but they're the undisputed king of independent studios so I have full faith that this game is going to kick ass. 

In that case I'd probably say that overall Ratchet and Clank surprised me by selling as well as it has thus far. Its been 2 months and its still in the top 15. :) 

Yeah, I'm surprised it kept up without even a misstep after the movie launched to (unwarranted) critical panning. I really hope we get a port of the HD collection or the Future saga or something for the 15th anniversary next year (since I'm fairly certain we won't get another new Ratchet yet), so that the new fans may experience a more full title. (I adore RC16 but it's got such a barebones plot that new fans are actually missing out.)

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Versus_Evil said:
Tokyo Mirage Sessions easily.

This takes it for me as well.

I knew I would at least have fun with it based on the trailers, and the fact that it brings features from my favorite gaming universe into it...but I'm honestly a little suprised at how well made this game is. Great characters, voice acting, combat, and looks nice to boot. What I was worried might just be a guilty pleasure will likely end up one of my top games this generation...and that's definitely a surprise.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Zelda for sure.

TMS is also a lot better than I expected.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."