By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest surprise of 2016 (so far)?

So I did a quick check and didn't find any half-year surprises threads, and I have just been playing a game that hugely surprised me. I figured why not open a discussion about the games that have surprised us the most from 2016?

The one that I just started that absolutely blew me away so far was Tokyo Mirage Sessions. It's such a disjointed concept but it's executed INSANELY well. I'm impressed, a JRPG hasn't hooked me this way in a while. 

Another one which may be a cop-out to some is Uncharted 4. I expected Uncharted front to back with a shoehorned-in new character but we actually got an incredibly different style of Uncharted, one that left me fully satisfied where I expected to end up mad. Plus that game has the best pacing in its series which came as a total shock as well. I wasn't expecting possibly the best Uncharted with 4, that's for sure. 

What about you guys? Any games that blew past your expectations so far?

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network

"Biggest surprise of 2016 (so far)?"

How awesome my Galaxy s7 is!

But in terms of games, I will say how zomg worthy Zelda looks and how awesome the world is with its physics and etc.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

"Biggest surprise of 2016 (so far)?"

How awesome my Galaxy s7 is!

But in terms of games, I will say how zomg worthy Zelda looks and how awesome the world is with its physics and etc.

Yeah, Zelda did come out of left field with all of its additions to the formula. Though, in fairness, they did sort of reveal that plan back in 2011 when Aonuma kept praising Skyrim, so maybe that shouldn't be a huge surprise. I'm just surprised it runs as well as it seems to. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Battleborn, Inside, Dead by Daylight, Zelda

My biggest surprise was hire good Battlefield Hardline is ace I only I paid £3.99 for it.

Around the Network

Neo and Scorpio

People constantly denying JRPG's :P

My biggest surprise is Metal Gear Solid for the 3DS. I haven't played a metal gear game since...well, forever, and playing through it is a blast.

The 3d is godly. I'm telling you. If you want to see a game with amazing 3d, play Metal Gear. It's also half the price of most retail games(20 bucks)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:

My biggest surprise is Metal Gear Solid for the 3DS. I haven't played a metal gear game since...well, forever, and playing through it is a blast.

The 3d is godly. I'm telling you. If you want to see a game with amazing 3d, play Metal Gear. It's also half the price of most retail games(20 bucks)

I've been considering it, but eesh, the framerate >.<

jason1637 said:
Neo and Scorpio

you are surprised by something which hasn't been announced? I mean that is some next level surprise right there.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

MohammadBadir said:
hershel_layton said:

I've been considering it, but eesh, the framerate >.<

I mean, sure it isn't exactly the best, but the framerate is the same as the original version on the Playstation 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.