By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Nintendo Waiting to Reveal NX Because of "Idea"

Looks like they weren't kidding when they said they were paranoid about Sony and Microsoft stealing their idea.

Around the Network
wombat123 said:
Looks like they weren't kidding when they said they were paranoid about Sony and Microsoft stealing their idea.

well, they are investing millions of dollars (research and development) so, they don't want to give away their ideas to sony, ms, apple, google or any tech/entertainment company.

wombat123 said:

their paranoia is actually kind of promising. They need to either do a straight forward simple high spec system OR an out of the box idea that is innovative, exciting and accessiblie to casuals.

its awful curious what it could possibly be though

unless he's just referring to extremely new way to power the device or how it runs or something. hmmm

SJReiter said:

Also, interesting that he said it's not just a matter of 'advancements' in technology. Does this confirm that the NX won't be just a more powerful, 'traditional' console?

You need to focus on the word "just". Meaning, it could be powerful but it's also... more. 

Jumpin said:
Dual d-pads!!!! FINALLY! Nintendo is getting with the times!

I lol'd but... if there is 2 d-pads draining the power, how will the rumble pack work? More AAA batteries or will it have a Li-ION cell?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
wombat123 said:

their paranoia is actually kind of promising. They need to either do a straight forward simple high spec system OR an out of the box idea that is innovative, exciting and accessiblie to casuals.

unless he's just referring to extremely new way to power the device or how it runs or something. hmmm

Yeah, I am definitely thinking that Nintendo is going with the latter and is trying to innovate and come up with something similar to the Wii.  They are going to have some kind of hardware innovation that they are going to try to compliment with a killer app that perfectly explains the hardware (possibly the next Mario, but I think it's more likely to be some kind of local mutliplayer experience like Wii Sports).

I think if VR doesn't take off the way Sony and MS are hoping it will, Nintendo could definitely have an opening to really regain substantial marketshare if they market the NX as a great local multiplayer party machine that is affordable. Think about if Nintendo markets the NX to the public like this: In one corner you have these reclusive nerds who put helmets over their heads and shut themselves off from reality while in the other you could have the NX and its simple and fresh concept that is great for the whole family and brings gaming back to being about a social experience.  The conditions are definitely shaping up to allow for another Wii to enter the market:  the big players are getting too wrapped up again in technology at the expense of accesssibility and are losing sight of the social aspects of gaming. 

it's going to be ... a share button on the controller! The PS4 stole the Wii-U gimmick with the aid of a Vita, now the NX will steal the PS4's awesome features!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Illusion said:
mountaindewslave said:

Yeah, I am definitely thinking that Nintendo is going with the latter and is trying to innovate and come up with something similar to the Wii.  They are going to have some kind of hardware innovation that they are going to try to compliment with a killer app that perfectly explains the hardware (possibly the next Mario, but I think it's more likely to be some kind of local mutliplayer experience like Wii Sports).

I think if VR doesn't take off the way Sony and MS are hoping it will, Nintendo could definitely have an opening to really regain substantial marketshare if they market the NX as a great local multiplayer party machine that is affordable. Think about if Nintendo markets the NX to the public like this: In one corner you have these reclusive nerds who put helmets over their heads and shut themselves off from reality while in the other you could have the NX and its simple and fresh concept that is great for the whole family and brings gaming back to being about a social experience.  The conditions are definitely shaping up to allow for another Wii to enter the market:  the big players are getting too wrapped up again in technology at the expense of accesssibility and are losing sight of the social aspects of gaming. 

I don't think VR is going to succeed in the near future because the entry point for getting into it is too high for the average consumer.  Along with that, the west is due for a recession soon and that's just going to make an extreme luxury item like VR an unnecessary expense.  Also, even if Sony has reiterated that the Neo will have no exclusive games, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony makes a lot of VR content exclusive to it due to the hardware limitations of the original PS4 and the fact that VR games that don't have high framerates make people nauseous.

Whatever Nintendo has cooked up, I just hope that it isn't an expensive gimmick that takes money away from potential hardware power.  I will always resent the Wii U gamepad for doing just that.

They may as well go with a gimmick focused console at this point, they simply can't compete with Neo/Scorpio on power so that opening is basically closed to them.

I just hope the chipset isn't a complete piece of crap like the Wii was. Gimme 1 TFLOP + 4GB of RAM (which is freaking low) and I'll be OK, that's at least a decent upgrade over the Wii U.

Whatever the gimmick is it better be something spectacular and easy to understand. 

Soundwave said:

They may as well go with a gimmick focused console at this point, they simply can't compete with Neo/Scorpio on power so that opening is basically closed to them.

I just hope the chipset isn't a complete piece of crap like the Wii was. Gimme 1 TFLOP + 4GB of RAM (which is freaking low) and I'll be OK, that's at least a decent upgrade over the Wii U.

Whatever the gimmick is it better be something spectacular and easy to understand. 

At this point, you'd think it would actually be cheaper to make a console in the ballpark of Xbox One power-wise than one that's still in the same league as Wii U. Yeah, older parts drop in price,  but there comes a point where the standardization of manufacturing counteracts this. E.g. Making a console on par with the SNES wouldn't be cheap these days cos you would have to specially make parts that aren't being built any more.