By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii does not = , > the PS2,PS3,360 because they are NOT THE SAME!!

Million said:
^^ might that have something to do with you being a devout Nintnedo fan? ctk495/

Oh so I see how this thread is going to go. You make your thread screaming about what you feel to be fact.

And anyone who disagrees with you is a Nintendo Fanboy?

These type of threads shouldn't make it to the second page. Its intent is so blatantly clear from the start, and it has LOOSE ties to "Sales" (you know....the intent of this board) anyhow. Nothing worthwhile will come of this, the board is for discussion, and the OP isn't here to discuss this, he is here to enforce his POV and has already predetermined that anyone who doesn't agree, is wrong. 

Around the Network
Million said:

• The PS2 was made what , 8 years ago ? OBVIOUSLY THE WII WILL BE MORE POWERFULL the comparison threads are stupid !
  • I'd argue that the Wii's in a league of it's own , it's not in direct competition with the 360 and PS3 . Many Wii owners( who are also hardcore gamers) are PSWii or Wii360. I can't imagine anyone settling with the Wii alone for current gen gaming.
  • STOP making threads about wether the Wii can play 360/PS3 games , NO IT CAN'T ( well without some severe degrading) how many mini's do you see with Ferrari engines in em ?.
  • I don't think the 360 or the PS3 (unless you wanna compare the PS3 with sony's last console) should be seen as doing badly simply because the Wii is doing good , I read some where on this site that the 360 has significantly better attach rates than the Wii, wouldn't this imply that a higher percentage of 360 and PS3 owners are different kinds of gamers ?(hardcore gamers maybe) THEY AREN'T IN THE SAME MARKET.

Just a couple of quick notes on the comments above:

The Wii is often compared to the PS2 because of all the PS2/PSP ports the systems has been getting.  And what's frustrating is that all too often the developers aren't taking advantage of the extra horsepower and are tacking on lame motion controls.

The Wii may not be in 'direct' competition, but it is a video game system and does compete on some level with the other two.  Heck even the PS2 competes in some ways with the 360, PS3, and Wii.

The question isn't 'Can the Wii play X?', the real question is 'Can the Wii offer the same game play/experience as X?'  A lot of the horsepower in the 360 and PS3 are used up just to run in high res.  Take that away, and what are you left with?  Take Bully for example.  Same game on the PS2, Wii, and 360.  Does the higher resolution of the graphics improve the game play?  Not really.  But if a game has advanced AI or a physics engine, then that could be a differentiating factor.

The 360 and PS3 aren't doing as well as expected.   It's the same as the DS/PSP comparisons.  PSP so far as system sales ain't too shabby.  But it didn't kill the DS and the software sales are a heck of a lot less than desired. 

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Without reading the whole thread, I'd just like to say:

OP=Epic Fail

I wonder if the Wii will still be in "a different market" when Kingdom Hearts 3 is announced for it.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
I wonder if the Wii will still be in "a different market" when Kingdom Hearts 3 is announced for it.

Now that you mentioned it.

Million If the wii isn't competing how is it taking games from the ps3 such as MH3.  

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

Million If the wii isn't competing how is it taking games from the ps3 such as MH3.  

Come on, you should know the answer......it's a casual game of course!

/sarcasm

sc94597 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

That's the only game and its not like the PS3 can't sell without it.

The Wii was aimed for the casual market, not the Hardcore gaming market and Third parties know that. Thats why EA made madden easy to play on the Wii. The Wii is still competing with the PS3 and 360 but not in the same market.  

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." - Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

PSN joshmyersBV Global rank in Warhawk: 1734 Rank: Wing Leader Over 200 Mine kills
sc94597 said:
Read this, and some of his other articles. It makes very clear on what nintendo is trying to do with the wii. They start out on casual games then move up to more , and more hardcore games. This is what happend to the ds http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html .

well, i guess it depends on what you consider to be 'hardcore.'

i really think the wii to this point has rather few 'hardcore' titles. im a gamer who thinks kart and galaxy aren't hardcore. now, im not saying they're casual, but at a point in between. i think a lot of nintendo games fall into the in between category.

i don't think nintendo will see many modern 'core' gamers choose the wii as their primary system. a lot of the ones who do pick the wii solely, pick it for nintendo games. these are gamers that grew up with nintendo and look for the familiar releases. 

i don't see nintendo ever going really hardcore. at least, not in the way the word is often used.

I agree, Wii only sells because its cheap and not targeted at the hardcore audience and the media loves it. It does have a FEW hardcore games, but they are far from the main reason it is selling. Also the only thing it has in common with PS2 is shovelware and graphics capability. I do get frustrated with the Wii > PS3 + 360 threads. The Wii is not even close to these 2 great systems in quality software or hardware and will NEVER be. I have been fighting the online for Super Smash Brothers for almost a month now. Great game but I can't get the stinking online to work for more than 10 minutes and its laggy to no end. PS3 online is free and no lag. Come on Nintendo, there are still core gamers who play your console. I really only bought it for Mario Galaxy and Smash Brawl. Brawl is great and Galaxy was good, and the only thing on the horizon is Mario Kart for me.

Anyway, I always have to rant when it comes to the Wii. I was fully behind Nintendo when it was called the Revolution, but the day they announced it would be called the "Wii" I knew something was up. I just didn't know that it would have the power to bring down the Japanese game market and possibly upset the US market as well. I have gone from 100% supporting the Wii, to being frustrated to no end with it. Especially after the Monster Hunter fiasco. Meh, flame me all you want. I'm gonna go back to playing my 360.

This topic, and its fanboy creator disgust me.

This isn't a Leo-J alt, is it? Same avatar, same posting style of old?

Anyway, if the Wii was losing, I bet the TC would be saying "All you who say the Wii isn't a direct competitor are Bullshit Nintendo Fanboys."

Well, we at the BNF salute you sir. If your console could sell better you wouldn't have to call us out, because you're jealous.

As for me, I can't see being a hardcore gamer this gen and NOT owning a Wii. Radiant Dawn is the best game this gen imo, and it's also the "most hardcore" case you wanna look it up.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.