By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii does not = , > the PS2,PS3,360 because they are NOT THE SAME!!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
tastyshovelware said:
sc94597 said:
Read this, and some of his other articles. It makes very clear on what nintendo is trying to do with the wii. They start out on casual games then move up to more , and more hardcore games. This is what happend to the ds http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html .

well, i guess it depends on what you consider to be 'hardcore.'

i really think the wii to this point has rather few 'hardcore' titles. im a gamer who thinks kart and galaxy aren't hardcore. now, im not saying they're casual, but at a point in between. i think a lot of nintendo games fall into the in between category.

i don't think nintendo will see many modern 'core' gamers choose the wii as their primary system. a lot of the ones who do pick the wii solely, pick it for nintendo games. these are gamers that grew up with nintendo and look for the familiar releases.

i don't see nintendo ever going really hardcore. at least, not in the way the word is often used.

Considering the alternatives, I don't think hardcore gamers have much of a choice when it comes to not owning a Wii. You can play a non-dependable console, a console with mediocre multiplats and very few AAA games, or a console with some really great AAAexclusives from Intelligent Systems and other Nintendo developers.

How could a "hardcore" gamer justify not owning a Wii.

In fact, I probably haven't played my PS3 as much as I have most single games on my Wii, because the worthy games on that system are usually about 5 hours long, and not that epic to begin with.

Frankly, it just awes me that people contine to attack the Wii, week after week, while ignoring the problems of the PS3 simply because they want to jump on the bandwagon, or because they got pissed off because of what some Nintendo fanboy said in the latest sales figures thread.

That's what this post is all about you know. Someone got pissed off cause a Marioboy bragged about this weeks Wii sales.

The Wii is fine, learn to play. 

oh, i agree. like i said, it's all about what you consider 'hardcore' and how much that word means to you. it also depends on how much you love original IPs or quality non nintendo IPs. the wii, at the moment, has few quality original titles and few quality thrid party titles. out of those games, there isn't a halo or ninja gaiden (modern 'hardcore' for the 'core' gaming audience) to be found. 

im not saying this is or should be an issue for anyone. really, im just waiting for my pizza to cool. im just typing.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
joshmyersBV said:
sc94597 said:
joshmyersBV said:
sc94597 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
I wonder if the Wii will still be in "a different market" when Kingdom Hearts 3 is announced for it.

Now that you mentioned it.

Million If the wii isn't competing how is it taking games from the ps3 such as MH3.

That's the only game and its not like the PS3 can't sell without it.

The Wii was aimed for the casual market, not the Hardcore gaming market and Third parties know that. Thats why EA made madden easy to play on the Wii. The Wii is still competing with the PS3 and 360 but not in the same market.

That still means they are in competition even if it is one game. It still got games that were on the ps brand too such as Fatal Frame 5.

Also read this http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html then reconsider what casual is.

The wii to me just does not have the games I like I what I think are Hardcore games but thats me. Its different for other people.

That is it. The games you like are different from the games other people like. ANd just because they aren't the games you like doesn't mean they aren't hardcore. I could name 10 hardcore games on the top of my head that I like, but you may not. RE4wii edition,SMg,MP3,FE:RD,LoZTP,BW2,Mohh2,Z&W,NMH,and SSBB. I could also name multiple other hardcore games that I don't like such as CoD3, MoHV,Manhunt 2,Sonic Riders, Soni, Agatha Christie,and about 20 others. Just because a game is bad doesn't mean it isn't hardcore. The reason why the wii is thought as casual is , because the casual games sell more than the hardcore ones. 

Yeah and if that don't change soon then it will still be a "casual console"

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." - Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

PSN joshmyersBV Global rank in Warhawk: 1734 Rank: Wing Leader Over 200 Mine kills
sc94597 said:
joshmyersBV said:

The wii to me just does not have the games I like I what I think are Hardcore games but thats me. Its different for other people.

That is it. The games you like are different from the games other people like. ANd just because they aren't the games you like doesn't mean they aren't hardcore. I could name 10 hardcore games on the top of my head that I like, but you may not. RE4wii edition,SMg,MP3,FE:RD,LoZTP,BW2,Mohh2,Z&W,NMH,and SSBB. I could also name multiple other hardcore games that I don't like such as CoD3, MoHV,Manhunt 2,Sonic Riders, Soni, Agatha Christie,and about 20 others. Just because a game is bad doesn't mean it isn't hardcore. The reason why the wii is thought as casual is , because the casual games sell more than the hardcore ones. 

Yea... I don't know how many there are, but a lot of those who claim to be "hardcore" gamers have a rather big ego. I don't understand why they have to assume something as casual or non-hardcore just because it's different from their taste or different from what they usually encounter. Furthermore, since when just because they do not see it as "hardcore" that they do not play it?

To be honest, I really don't understand what the word hardcore means. I have always assumed that those are people who have genuine + a lot of interest in gaming. Their very actions really contradicted what I have previously believed. Or maybe it's just that what I thought hardcore meant was wrong afterall.

In all this bashing and console war, maybe ego was what it was all about.

On the final note, my apology for the generalization from this post...

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

joshmyersBV said:
sc94597 said:
joshmyersBV said:
sc94597 said:
joshmyersBV said:
sc94597 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
I wonder if the Wii will still be in "a different market" when Kingdom Hearts 3 is announced for it.

Million If the wii isn't competing how is it taking games from the ps3 such as MH3.

The Wii was aimed for the casual market, not the Hardcore gaming market and Third parties know that. Thats why EA made madden easy to play on the Wii. The Wii is still competing with the PS3 and 360 but not in the same market.

That still means they are in competition even if it is one game. It still got games that were on the ps brand too such as Fatal Frame 5.

Also read this http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html then reconsider what casual is.

Well that willl change , because casual gamers are either going to want to upgrade or just be happy with the games they have. Then the games won't sell as much as espected. It wouldn't be as easy to make a quick buck off the wii, and it will force the devs to target the hardcore more. Tell me this why aren't nintendo making sequels to their casual games I.E wii sports,wii play. This is , because they know casual games aren't going to sell anymore. They are starting on the bottom , and moving up , and up to the hardcore. Soon developers will have to copy this , and the wii will be as big as the ds is. For the first year of the ds there were no games developed for it that were hardcore. Nintendo made brain age, and nintendogs. Then they stopped, and started to make more , and more hardcore games, now the ds has a whole branch of games from hardcore to casual. Nintendo is trying to expand a market that is dying. 

tiachopvutru said:
sc94597 said:
joshmyersBV said:

Yea... I don't know how many there are, but a lot of those who claim to be "hardcore" gamers have a rather big ego. I don't understand why they have to assume something as casual or non-hardcore just because it's different from their taste or different from what they usually encounter. Furthermore, since when just because they do not see it as "hardcore" that they do not play it?

To be honest, I really don't understand what the word hardcore means. I have always assumed that those are people who have genuine + a lot of interest in gaming. Their very actions really contradicted what I have previously believed. Or maybe it's just that what I thought hardcore meant was wrong afterall.

My definition of hardcore is a game that targets games by having depth, and achevements. A hardcore gamer is somebody who games for a hobby, while a casual gamer is somebody who occasionally games for recreation. There isn't much of a difference between the two except the hardcore gamer uses gaming more of a hobby, than simple entertainment. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
tiachopvutru said:

My definition of hardcore is a game that targets games by having depth, and achevements. A hardcore gamer is somebody who games for a hobby, while a casual gamer is somebody who occasionally games for recreation. There isn't much of a difference between the two except the hardcore gamer uses gaming more of a hobby, than simple entertainment. 

If your definition is true, their behaviors still contradict what those "hardcore" gamers claim to be.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

The title reminds me of a funny quote I heard on this forum:

"Of course Nintendo's software department makes more money than all other game companies combined. They cheat, they only sell games on the DS and Wii."

kingofwale said:
I agree with a lot of your points (and disagree in some)

I don't believe Wii shares as big a market share with PS360 as PS2 did with xbox and GC. Frankly, I have a PS3 and I won't get a xbox but I might consider getting a Wii, it's almost a completely different console for me.

Personally I think a lot of Wii owners will end up getting 1 (or 2) of PS360 anyway, when the price is lower.

Basically I agree with the topicstarter too. He sure gives some nice points to think about. But to give a comment to this reply. I don't believe that a lot of Wii owners will get a PS3 or 360 as well. Only the core or hardcore gamers will. But the family/grandma's etc.., no they won't. They will stick to Mario and his friends.

You know, I actually think it's true that PS3 and XB360 are not in competition with the Wii. For the same reason GC and XBox weren't really in competition with PS2. In that they have absolutely no chance of catching the behemoth market leader.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

joshmyersBV said:
sc94597 said:
joshmyersBV said:
sc94597 said:
joshmyersBV said:
sc94597 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

Casual games sell harder and since the Wii mainly has casual games, the third party will come with more casual games. Games which are worth playing as well like Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, Excite Truck and Mercury Meltdown bomb compared to a game like Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Wii Play. Only some other non-casual games will come. So basically, Nintendo is going to be the only one to come with non-casual titles, till the end...