By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii does not = , > the PS2,PS3,360 because they are NOT THE SAME!!

RolStoppable said:
I always found this concept that the Wii isn't in the same market as the PS3 and 360 strange (or that the DS is in a different market than the PSP). What we know for sure is that the Wii (and DS) are videogame systems, therefore they are products of the videogames market. So in which market are the PS3 and 360 (and PSP)?

Too much logic in a single paragraph. Does not compute.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
RolStoppable said:
I always found this concept that the Wii isn't in the same market as the PS3 and 360 strange (or that the DS is in a different market than the PSP). What we know for sure is that the Wii (and DS) are videogame systems, therefore they are products of the videogames market. So in which market are the PS3 and 360 (and PSP)?

Too much logic in a single paragraph. Does not compute.

It's basically that they are not aiming on the same public. That's the difference.

That must be the lamest defense to discount Wii's domination I've ever seen.

@ConAir: So why are the PS3 and 360 together selling less than the consoles of the previous generation did? As others have pointed out, do you think the video games market is experiencing a horrible crash?

Face it, the Wii is stealing customers from the PS3 and the 360. Sooner or later everyone will recognize that, it's just a matter of time for the more stubborn people.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Million said:
  • I don't think the 360 or the PS3 (unless you wanna compare the PS3 with sony's last console) should be seen as doing badly simply because the Wii is doing good , I read some where on this site that the 360 has significantly better attach rates than the Wii, wouldn't this imply that a higher percentage of 360 and PS3 owners are different kinds of gamers ?(hardcore gamers maybe) THEY AREN'T IN THE SAME MARKET.

You are damn, Wrong. Given the time, the Wii near the same attach rate than the 360 if you align launches :P

thekitchensink said:
Also, why do most of the PS3 fanboys in this forum have avatars that looks totally pissed?

lol. What a great start of the day.

fkusumot, this is tag material!

Around the Network
bobobologna said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Considering the alternatives, I don't think hardcore gamers have much of a choice when it comes to not owning a Wii. You can play a non-dependable console, a console with mediocre multiplats and very few AAA games, or a console with some really great AAAexclusives from Intelligent Systems and other Nintendo developers.

How could a "hardcore" gamer justify not owning a Wii.

I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer. I will probably never own a Wii. I've owned an NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, and the DS. I used to be a huge fan of Nintendo. When the Revolution/Wii was announced, I was excited about all the possibilities. Then I got to try out the Wii and was left thoroughly unimpressed by everything about it, except for the nice compact size of it.

You should buy it for Fire Emblem, if you were a fan of Path of Radiance. It's got some high quality games, so don't get caught up in the idealism about the Wii, that being a PS3 owner in todays modern gaming forums will force you into, more often than not. If you liked the gamecube, the Wii is better.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

NJ5 said:

That must be the lamest defense to discount Wii's domination I've ever seen.

@ConAir: So why are the PS3 and 360 together selling less than the consoles of the previous generation did? As others have pointed out, do you think the video games market is experiencing a horrible crash?

Face it, the Wii is stealing customers from the PS3 and the 360. Sooner or later everyone will recognize that, it's just a matter of time for the more stubborn people.

You pretty much have to believe this if you think they are in different markets or even if you think they are mostly in different markets.

I think when you break it down like that people should start to see the absurdity of it.

You either (A) Think the gaming market as it pertains to the 360 & PS3 is crashing horribly or (B) Believe the Wii is competing in the same market as the 360 & PS3 which explains where these "missing" sales went (and then some).

There really aren't two ways about this folks. If you look at the numbers it is plain as day that they competing for the same cash, in the same wallets, for the same hobby.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sorry if most has been said before. Wanted to respond. 

I'd argue that the Wii's in a league of it's own , it's not in direct competition with the 360 and PS3 . Many Wii owners( who are also hardcore gamers) are PSWii or Wii360. I can't imagine anyone settling with the Wii alone for current gen gaming.

Of course the consoles compete directly with each other.

1) Ordinary people won't buy multiple consoles. Last gen it was obviously the PS2, this gen it appears that the Wii will become to be the "Average Joe" console. Please don't think that gaming is something for the hardcore elite. The big sales come from ordinary people, for example families, that buy a gaming console.
Of course you'll say something about that these people don't buy games, but as a kid I had many games to play on my NES/SNES.

2) You compare the PS3 to iPod and Wii with Chinese garbage. The truth is that the Wii is more like the iPod. It's the absolute must have gadget for over a year now. The people that really mind their gadget also happen to be people that have quite some money to spend. Mostly young people like me that have good jobs. Sony and Microsoft would have loved to be the "hype" item, but Wii steals all their media attention.

3) 3rd parties have limited funds at their disposal. So the 3 consoles definitely compete for 3rd party games. Due to Wii's success more and more quality 3rd party games will come to Wii, which of course will harm the HD consoles. See Monster Hunter and Fatal Frame.

I don't think the 360 or the PS3 (unless you wanna compare the PS3 with sony's last console) should be seen as doing badly simply because the Wii is doing good , I read some where on this site that the 360 has significantly better attach rates than the Wii, wouldn't this imply that a higher percentage of 360 and PS3 owners are different kinds of gamers ?(hardcore gamers maybe)

Wii launched alongsite the PS3 and has better attach rates. Last Christmas period (probably the most important sales period for videogames) Wii crushed both PS3 and 360 in attach rates. So long for your theory.
You still like to prototype harcore gamers as non-Nintendo gamers. Playing Fire Emblem at the moment, which is one of the most hardcore games around, already flaws your argument, but what's even more staggering is that you just "forget" that most hardcore gamers owned or at least played Nintendo consoles, because of its legacy in games.

Up until recently the 360 and the PS3 where much more expensive than the Wii , at launch I coulda bought multiple Wii's for the price of the PS3 , why ? BECAUSE THEY AREN'T IN THE SAME BLOODY MARKET.

A grandma , 40 , 35 year old doesn't walk into a shop and say "oh the Wii's are sold out , i'll buy a 360 instead because it's equally cheap) a large % of Nintnedo's market aren't 

IF PS3 , XBOX 360 , PS2 VS WII IS AN ACCEPTABLE COMPARISON THEN SO IS SKODA VS FERRARI OR FOOTBALL VS BASKETBALL , IPOD VS CHEAP IMPORTS.

These examples just point out how frustrated you are with the situation.
What you basically say is: Because Sony made it's console more expensive than the Wii they aren't in the same market???? The PS3 is more expensive because Sony wanted it to be. Literally we were supposed to have an extra job to afford it. The iPod is more expensive than most mp3 players, still it's by far the most succesful one. It's not the price that's most important, it's how customers value the worth of that price.

That there are even grandma's playing Wii is an enormous accomplishment and something everyone that loves gaming should welcome, because it means an acceptation by the general audience. Instead people try to spin this negatively for some unknown reason.

Football vs. Basketball = Skoda vs. Ferrari ?????????
Let's keep the Skoda vs. Ferrari one. First of all the PS3 is not a Ferrari. That would be the high-end PC that is outdated in a month. Videogame consoles are supposed to be mass market products and therefore all are in the category Ford/Opel/VW etc. Within this group there are differences, but not of the absurdity you propose.

tastyshovelware said:

oh, i agree. like i said, it's all about what you consider 'hardcore' and how much that word means to you. it also depends on how much you love original IPs or quality non nintendo IPs. the wii, at the moment, has few quality original titles and few quality thrid party titles. out of those games, there isn't a halo or ninja gaiden (modern 'hardcore' for the 'core' gaming audience) to be found.

im not saying this is or should be an issue for anyone. really, im just waiting for my pizza to cool. im just typing.

You should give No More Heroes or Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn a shot, if you think there are no modern hardcore games on the console.

What it often turns into is PS3 fans go into a rant about how the Wii has no good games like CoD4, Assassin's Creed, and Others, when in reality, there are no others. There are a few ports(which PS3 fans are SO quick to flame the Wii for having ports), and nothing, my friends, nothing.

The Wii probably has more playable games than the PS3, especially for someone with a classic anime PS2 leant about them, and many of these games are exclusives.

The problem isn't that the Wii has no "good" games or no "hardcore" games or even no "3rd party games" the problem is these arguments continue to be used as a generalization for a system that has transcended them in many ways. If it really is a problem, PS3 has it worst, atm.

Right now, it's simple imo. The Wii gives you a more original set of content with better exclusive games, and better games overall than the PS3, for a cheaper price.

More for less. It's that simple. Now, as the games are released, and I start renting Blu-Ray movies from blockbuster online in the future, that might change. However, as it stands right now, no one can tell me that the PS3 is a worthy software sucessor to the PS2, while the Wii already nearly has a better software library than the gamecube ever dreamed of.

Lets be realistic here. There aren't a plethora of underground secret PS3 games that are good and we just don't know about them. There are about 8 playable titles on the system, 2 of them are exclusives, the ports are usually mediocre. There are about 11 playable titles on the Wii, about 6 of them are exclusive, and the ports worth playing are generally a little bit better than the PS2 counterparts, with the exception of Guitar Hero 3.

Now check this out, from my perspective:

My favorite Gamecube games were:

Beyond Good and Evil

Mario Kart: DD

Tales of Symphonia

SSB:Melee

Killer 7

Zelda: Wind Waker

Snake Eater

Resident Evil 4

Eternal Darkness

Pikmin 1 and 2

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Paper Mario: TTYD

Metroid Prime 1

There were pretty much the summation of the entire gamecube library that I loved, and those games are about it. Now look what I've got on the Wii so far:

Zack and Wiki

SSB: Brawl

Twilight Princess

Mario Galaxy

No More Heroes

Resident Evil: 4 and Umbrella Chronicles

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Super Paper Mario

Bully: SE

Metroid Prime 3

Guitar Hero 3

With Mario Kart, Tales of Symphonia 2, and Okami around the corner.

Just look how suck the games on the Gamecube, overall were compared to the Wii, seriously, look at the overall, 5 year library of the Gamecube, and now picture that Nintendo has new Pikmin and all kinds of other games in the works.

Now, to be honest, the Wii's library isn't just far and away better than the PS3's, if your looking at it from a certain perspective, but the problem herein lies:

PS2 core fans, you and me, the real core fans, didn't buy the system for Killzone. Those people bought Xboxes, and switched to 360, they are lost.

We bought the PS2, and still play the PS2, not the PS3, for Japanese games. That's why I love the Wii. Look at my Wii game selections, mostly, they are Japanese created games, right? Welp, that's my taste.

I could care less about CoD4, I hate hate hate FPS games, I hate freakin' Uncharted kinda, I hated Tomb Raider, I do not like Rachet and Clank, I despise the Orange Box, and I can't stand any game in it except for Portal. I don't like western games unless they are REALLY great, seriously, they have to be Fallout 3, I'm a core PS2 fan, I love Japanese games.

I know most PS3 fanboys are these core fans, and they should feel JILTED! The PS3, ffs, doesn't even have one JRPG on it, are you kidding me? WTF man. The PS3 has no good games, no Japanese games, the PS3 is garbage to fans of anime who also like to game! You know you realize this, and that's why we are in a waiting phase. The PS3 has basically lost it's Japanese luster.

Now, I did buy the thing, because of MGS, FFXIII, and well, that's about it. I also hate racing games, usually, and Gran Turismo is no exception. I won't play Resistance, or Killzone, or wtfever, those games are crap, might as well play Turok as far as I'm concerned, it's the same damn thing.

I hope this has given you some insite as to why I think the PS3 library not only sucks, but is an insult to its core fanbase. The PS3 should have launched with any old crappy JRPG or SRPG, or anything anime related. The Wii is chock full of awesome anime games, some not so awesome, some downright bad, but it has Fire Emblem and that's the best one so far this gen on a home console, with the possible exception of Lost Oddssey or Eternal Sonata, 360 titles.

Sorry for the rant, but JESUS PS3, you FAIL because you didn't deliver the freakin' JRPGs.

WHY WHY WHY isn't Persona 3: PES on PS3, it doesn't even need pretty graphics, just make it only run on the PS3 so I can LOVE it!!! Where is the churning out of the JRPG that we've seen on the PS2? SRPG are a dime a dozen and I'm STARVED for any PS3 love from Japan, but its just not happening. Disgaea 3, I can't wait, but it pisses me off that there is absolutely nothing available for me to play on that thing that's not some gay American indiana jones ripoff or Halo ripoff.

Sony must be stupid, stupid, stupid. They have forsaken the reason the PS2 became so popular in the first place, Final Fantasy, and the JRPG genre, based around anime. Look at the goddamn Sony fanboy avatars on this site. Anime, Cloud, Squall, Kitten, Cloud, Sephy, Anime, Ichigo, Random anime, Cloud.

Then you've got the one in a million "I'm having Killzone 2 in my sig just for spite" guys, but they're not your target audience, they are just freakin' weird.

So, in conclusion, for not having any JRPG's on its system for the first year and a half, the PS3 fails far harder than the Wii ever could. Especially considering that the PS3's library has made a tremendous fall from last gen, while the Wii's library is already arguably better than the gamecubes.

That's all I'm saying.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Like said before, if Sony's strategy really was NOT to target the same market like Nintendo but focus on a percentile of the entire population, the hardcore gamers, me, as a shareholder, would take a big, long stick, sharpen it at one end and shove it up the ass of every C-level at Sony.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.