By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamers angry over Watch Dogs 2's Black Protaganist

He's black? I thought he was like Hispanic or something. Maybe like a dark Filipino

Around the Network

As long as Marcus is not a female I could care less.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Scisca said:
Teeqoz said:

How much would his race impact the story really? How do you "reflect" the choice of race in the story?

Seems like a pretty minor detail to me really...

Have you played San Andreas?

So WD2 has to be about gangs? I think racial profiling might be partly involved based on the "wrongfully convicted based on a crime prediction algorithm", but doubt it will be about gangs.

I just find it odd that because it's a black character, you want it to reflected in the story. I don't expect it to be reflected in the story if the main character is white.... He just is. Same if he's black. Why should that matter in the story?

DoctorHorrible said:
Mr_No said:
We now have a Watch Dogs protagonist which is much more deep and with more personality than Aiden Pierce, yet people bash him because of his race? Why is this such a big deal? Who makes this such a big deal?

Why do you say he's much more deep?

Because he has more personality and depth than Aiden from the first game. And that's only from the character's description on news sites here and there.

Teeqoz said:
Scisca said:

Have you played San Andreas?

So WD2 has to be about gangs? I think racial profiling might be partly involved based on the "wrongfully convicted based on a crime prediction algorithm", but doubt it will be about gangs.

I just find it odd that because it's a black character, you want it to reflected in the story. I don't expect it to be reflected in the story if the main character is white.... He just is. Same if he's black. Why should that matter in the story?

That's not what I mean, it doesn't have to be gangs, I just give this as an example where race influences the story and environment. I don't know if such background would be valid for SF, but I like it when a character is fleshed out like that, than when it's just random average dude with coloured skin. I think that a black guy and an Asian guy could have a slightly different backstory, motivation, challenges, etc. and I'd like that to be reflected in the game.

At the same time, I hope that none of the BLM bs is gonna be in the game :-/

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Teeqoz said:

That's not what I mean, it doesn't have to be gangs, I just give this as an example where race influences the story and environment. I don't know if such background would be valid for SF, but I like it when a character is fleshed out like that, than when it's just random average dude with coloured skin. I think that a black guy and an Asian guy could have a slightly different backstory, motivation, challenges, etc. and I'd like that to be reflected in the game.

At the same time, I hope that none of the BLM bs is gonna be in the game :-/

Well, like I said, I think racial profiling might play a role, but all in all, race will hardly play any important role in the game.

sabvre42 said:
REDZONE said:

Well you're as wrong as a ball because I did read the OP.He said he doesn't mind playing as a black character but he does want to go the the road of BLM,to which I said (don't care if the op thinks it's a perfect background)the game isn't about BLM,so he doesn't have to worry.And I know it's the OP's opinion that it would fit perfectly.

AND to add I think the article is full of shit and clearly pushing an agenda.

In some parts of the country BLM has a VERY REAL purpose. Then you have the ones like we have in Minneapolis that purposefully cause traffic jams for no reason.

Last year they purposefully walled off the state fair gates to protest the number of white vendors. The thing is, that the licensing committee stamps approvals without any form if demographics. The fair committee even went as far as offering them multiple free booths so that they could get get their word out.... but they literally replied that they wanted to impeed the fair.

Point is, while BLM may serve some valid purpose... I'm sick of dealing with it (specifically the morons in Minnesota where racism is comparably low). I don't want this shit in my video game.

Fair enough.

Slarvax said:
Lord knows what will happen when Link is confirmed a female.

Link isn't female, he's trans: born a girl, identifies as a boy. It's obvious really.

I'm completely unsurprised by the reactions of some gamers. I've come to learn over the last few years that to a significant number of people the lead character in a story (not just games) must default to being a white person unless there is a specific reason that person should be of another race. Unless these people see a good reason for a character being another race they will become offended and complain about it and call it SJW's ruining entertainment. And the reaction is more severe when the character is African American.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

The character being black is total bullshit. I mean what other opportunities do we have to play as a well-toned white man. Oh wait...

sabvre42 said:
I don't care that the lead is black. I just don't want to deal with the likely BLM themes that his back story could lead to.

My thoughts exactly. I'm all for more diverse characters in games as that more accurately reflects our world. Having said that I would rather developers not attach a political agenda within the game. However, ultimately it's not a big deal. The market will dictate the failure or success of this game as with all previous games. There are plenty of other games to play out there if this is a deal breaker for people.