By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamers angry over Watch Dogs 2's Black Protaganist

REDZONE said:
DoctorHorrible said:

I spot the person who didn't read the op. .

How did you assume I didn't?You think a black man being wrongfully jailed and starts hacking as revenge links his background to BLM?I think anybody white or black would love revenge.Not true?

I know you didn't read it. Because if you did you'd know why the person you quoted brings it up. The OP literally suggests it's perfect background for Marcus.

Around the Network

Due to the fact that I can't say (LOL) without mod action, because it is I guess you could say more of a phrase (in not particularly sure since it doesn't matter to me) then a word, I'm adding this notice to extend the amount of words I intend to use for this post.

Lol

I just think anyone upset over things like this should just be ignored from now on, what's the point in arguing with the people that are upset he's black, what's the point in publicising that people are upset he's black, and what's the point in game developers/publishers responding to situation like this trying to defend their decision to make him black, no decision or debate is necessary, racist close-minded people should be just ignored.

was there anyone excited for the 2nd game after seeing what the 1st one really was?

As to the main character being a black young guy, who gives a shit? It's a new character so people shouldn't have any attachment to it beforehand anyway. It'd be different if they changed Nathan Drake to be a different gender/race/whatever.

Developers should feel free to make the characters they want and if their game doesn't resonate with you as a gamer, just don't buy it. Easy peasy

So, I didn't go read the comments on the forum the article spoke of, but it's clear that whoever wrote that article is biased. He automatically labels threads (and I'm guessing the people creating them) that have anything to say about the protogonist being black as "racist". The writer also complains of people attacking SJWs, clearly showing which side he's on.

I don't care the protogonist is black, simply because I didn't play Watch Dogs and don't plan on playing this one. But this modern day politically correct mentality that would have anyone saying anything about a character's gender or color, even in as diplomatic a was as possible, labeled as "racist" or "misogynistic" when that character is not a white male has gotten ridiculous.

Saying that a game will be more interesting simply because the protagonist is not a white male is mind-boggingly ludicrous. Or that a game was bad because the protagonist was a white male. If people would prefer a white male protagonist, that is their right. It's a little too easy to claim that person is racist. Such rash conclusions are not useful and don't serve conversation. Those quick to judgement should maybe take a long look at themselves in the mirror and ask if that's really the society they want to live in.

Around the Network

Of course, they always complain about the things they shouldn't.

Conina said:
tinfamous12 said:
I agree that it would be horrible if the game suffered in sales for a reason as superficial as race. I wonder if the developers will react to this. However, It seems people don't mind black protaganists in GTA, but it seems like they have a problem when it's a different title.

Like GTA San Andreas suffered in sales?

If the game is good, almost nobody will care about the race or gender of the protagonist.

I disagree. When the game is one of the biggerst frachises ever and more relevant than ever, people will most likely not care. When it's a game that people are on the fence about, silly things like this can affect it. Same way it possibly affected Prototype 2.

Rêveur said:
So, I didn't go read the comments on the forum the article spoke of, but it's clear that whoever wrote that article is biased. He automatically labels threads (and I'm guessing the people creating them) that have anything to say about the protogonist being black as "racist". The writer also complains of people attacking SJWs, clearly showing which side he's on.

I don't care the protogonist is black, simply because I didn't play Watch Dogs and don't plan on playing this one. But this modern day politically correct mentality that would have anyone saying anything about a character's gender or color, even in as diplomatic a was as possible, labeled as "racist" or "misogynistic" when that character is not a white male has gotten ridiculous.

Saying that a game will be more interesting simply because the protagonist is not a white male is mind-boggingly ludicrous. Or that a game was bad because the protagonist was a white male. If people would prefer a white male protagonist, that is their right. It's a little too easy to claim that person is racist. Such rash conclusions are not useful and don't serve conversation. Those quick to judgement should maybe take a long look at themselves in the mirror and ask if that's really the society they want to live in.

After reading 120 posts from the thread I can tell you how it was. A grand total of 3 people were posting racist posts while the writer of this op claims "hundreds." the op of the other thread was making very closeted racist post. Another named treygone was making belligerent racist posts and I have to believe he was just a young troll. He said he was a history teacher and the Jews are covering up what really happened. And one was just posting videos, that I think was making fun of rap and black culture. I never clicked on them to see. There was one other who complained about the protagonist but it was actually thought out post that got passed over from everyone else focused on treygone. There were a few sarcastic satire posts. One saying "this is 2016. I can't believe we have males as protagonist still" and one named Steven seagal who said "let's go back to ancient Greek times. Orgies for everyone" and I think he started trolling everyone

Johnw1104 said:
Normchacho said:
I've been saying this for a while, and I'll say it again. People who put all of this effort into fighting "political correctness" and "SJWs" are actually the bigger problem. You're not fighting for freedom of expression, you're being an asshole and you need to stop.

I think it's entirely situational. The only people who seem like "assholes" to me are those who exclusively take one side or the other every time regardless of context, and they are equally shitty imo

/thread

You've nailed it. No side is always right. Blindly following one side shows an inability to think for yourself.

Is this really news? 90% of that thread is trolling and shitposting...This is not a problem with "gamers". Its like, one guy being racist and a few more being trolls. Thats it.