By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software numbers up!

dp

site was hanging up when I tried to post mobile

Around the Network

Hey Aqua, maybe this is a bit too much, and maybe NPD doesn't even break it down like this.. but is there any way you could just post overall software splits (across the board) for consoles this month or YTD, like a breakdown of what percentage of SW sales Xbox One makes up, and what percentage PS4 makes up, and what percentage Wii U makes up?

If that's too much, could you perhaps say if the software split percents are up YoY in any significant way for either PS4 or Xbox One? Or if there is just any interesting trends in general that you notice when comparing overall software splits?

thanks so much Aqua

Why those PS3 sales? (10.7K) That's an anomaly.

Thanks Aqua, now wait for numbers.

Curius about Uncharted, OverWatch, DOOM, and, of course, Black Ops III. :p

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Shadow1980 said:

Also, the idea that the XBO is a lost cause "because PS4 domination" or whatever is a claim without basis in reality. The PS2 was unquestionably more dominant than the PS4 is, yet two of the three price cuts to the Xbox had a significant effect on sales. This generation is much closer than the sixth, and while the PS4 has had a commanding lead since it was reduced to $350, there is no reason to assume that the XBO cannot follow in the footsteps of its predecessors and end up a late bloomer. Shrink it down, give it an attractive price (no more than $300, preferably $250), and it should start to move more systems. And FWIW, compared to previous Xbox systems, the XBO isn't doing horribly, though last month was definitely a very bad mont

Here is my ressoning as to why i say the XB1 is a lost cause. 

If you look at your late bloomer OXB theory, you will notice that when MS was "late blooming" at the time sony had already played all their cards. There were no substantial price drios to do anymore.

Now, sony can match anything MS does price wise if they want to. The PS4 is currently more exowmsive than the XB1 nit cause its costlier to build but because the demand is there. If MS drops to $250, sony can match them..... then what? 

To believe xbone still has a chance against PS4 today, lol I mean LOL.

WebMasterFlex said:
Intrinsic said:

Here is my ressoning as to why i say the XB1 is a lost cause. 

If you look at your late bloomer OXB theory, you will notice that when MS was "late blooming" at the time sony had already played all their cards. There were no substantial price drios to do anymore.

Now, sony can match anything MS does price wise if they want to. The PS4 is currently more exowmsive than the XB1 nit cause its costlier to build but because the demand is there. If MS drops to $250, sony can match them..... then what? 

To believe xbone still has a chance against PS4 today, lol I mean LOL.

Yea,for some people its hard to understand and accept  that playstation is the biggest brand in console gaming waay ahead of Nintendo en definitely "xbox".

Ps4 is picking up pace even with only a  50dollar pricecut and for many a "lackluster" library( i love it already outclassed the ps3 in my opinion) 

Just wait till the system hits 299,99 and ps4 neo comes out.

Don't underestimate the power of playstation brand name.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Mazzy said:
poklane said:

Nope, the PS4 version was the best selling version in May, no typo.

Hmmm... wonder if it was just some sort of rare phenomenon or if it is indicative of some greater shift in mindshare and demographic. Minecraft may be just one game, but that's how many children are introduced to gaming, and PS4 suddenly springing up to top seller seems very significant. Most interesting and surprising factor of this month's NPD results imo.

And 360 and PS3 actually had a strong month MoM (which is surprising in itself), which makes it even more odd that PS4 led in Minecraft sales. 

We've seen the same thing happening with Lego games recently, after Sony struck a marketing deal with them. I think Sony's targeted efforts at the "kids" demographic has paid off.

Teeqoz said:

We've seen the same thing happening with Lego games recently, after Sony struck a marketing deal with them. I think Sony's targeted efforts at the "kids" demographic has paid off.

The family or kid market is something I've been keeping an eye on recently. Sony have aggresively saught to corner the JRPG market and I think the family/kid market is next in line, and with Nintendo's shrinking audience it makes sense.

The PS5 Exists. 

Once again, thanks Aqua. Really appreciate what these numbers do for the community.