By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software numbers up!

Can people finally admit that Uncharted 4 sales are not really so great when considering the huge marketing push for this game? Will probably sell LTD same as TLoU, despite much more marketing and being the fourth in an established IP. It really seems Sony wanted something more for this, I mean the push and promotion has been immense.

Either exclusives just aren't what they used to be, or Uncharted as an IP just doesn't have the appeal of many of the big multiplats. Or perhaps this game is just some digital anomaly or has significantly more RotW appeal than US appeal? But both of those sound more like the usual excuses used as damage control for when a game fails to meet expectations.

Personally, I'm glad it did not sell as well, as I'd rather have Sony focus on a more diversified lineup than just one or two big AAA exclusives a year, and I'm not really a big Uncharted fan to begin with.

Around the Network
Mike_L said:

Grand Theft Auto V (PS4 > XBO > 360 > PS3 > PC) is just the ranking of the physical retail sales.

I don't think Aquamarine has access to digital sales numbers.

??

I'm not talking about GTAV. I'm talking about Overwatch.

I don't understand what is leading people to believe that Overwatch had a significantly stronger than average digital performance (on console).

Only 30k more of the "flop" Halo 5 lol

If you're going to post this elsewhere please say "From Aquamarine on Gamrconnect / VG Chartz" in the same post. Looking at you, Ryng_Tolu.

The highest selling game this month for Nintendo was Pokken Tournament and that couldn't even sell 35K. Every other Nintendo title (including Star Fox Zero + Star Fox Guard, new release Disney Art Academy, Bravely Second: End Layer, Super Smash Bros......not a SINGLE Nintendo title could beat that incredibly small 35K threshold.

Star Fox Zero really should have done better than it has.

Nintendo had a WEAK month....-38% from last month and -29% year over year.

Ratchet didn't collapse in its second month but it also didn't do the best, either. The threshold for the Top 10 is 80K and Ratchet & Clank definitely sold below that but not significantly.

Mazzy said:
1: Can people finally admit that Uncharted 4 sales are not really so great when considering the huge marketing push for this game? 2: Will probably sell LTD same as TLoU, despite much more marketing and being the fourth in an established IP. It really seems Sony wanted something more for this, I mean the push and promotion has been immense.

Either exclusives just aren't what they used to be, or Uncharted as an IP just doesn't have the appeal of many of the big multiplats. Or perhaps this game is just some digital anomaly or has significantly more RotW appeal than US appeal? But both of those sound more like the usual excuses used as damage control for when a game fails to meet expectations.

Personally, I'm glad it did not sell as well, as I'd rather have Sony focus on a more diversified lineup than just one or two big AAA exclusives a year, and I'm not really a big Uncharted fan to begin with.

1: Not so great according to whom? We need to know which expectations you're referring to. It bested UC3 US launch by nearly 200,000, sold equally to Halo 5 in the US and much more worldwide (this is a huge turn of events for Uncharted in the US compared to Uncharted vs Halo during 7th gen) and doubled 2nd place Doom's multiplat sales if we include bundles and digital sales for both. I don't think they're that sad. We'll probably get more info at E3.

2: Well, of course. The Last of Us is the better franchise so naturally it'll sell equal to a more marketed Uncharted. God of War has always been Sony's biggest franchise in the US. Uncharted and Gran Turismo are bigger everywhere else ;)

I think the numbers are great and actually exceed my expectations even though I was personally a bit disappointed with the game.

Around the Network
Aquamarine said:
If you're going to post this elsewhere please say "From Aquamarine on Gamrconnect / VG Chartz" in the same post. Looking at you, Ryng_Tolu.

I edited now. :p

globalisateur said:

Maybe he doesn't want to get banned from GAF.

Welfare did quote you properly though. At least he has the balls to do it...

Lol i just forget to post it, now i edited.

Mazzy said:
Can people finally admit that Uncharted 4 sales are not really so great when considering the huge marketing push for this game? Will probably sell LTD same as TLoU, despite much more marketing and being the fourth in an established IP. It really seems Sony wanted something more for this, I mean the push and promotion has been immense.

Uncharted 4 did great and I was one of the few to predict under 1m physical.

Uncharted 4 is easily = or > TLOU due to weeks in NPD and digital sales.

Sony's lineup is pretty stacked though with Ratchet and Clank, and MLB releasing so close to Uncharted 4. Clearly Uncharted 4 should have released in November, but these sales are still really good in May.

Mazzy said:
Mike_L said:

Grand Theft Auto V (PS4 > XBO > 360 > PS3 > PC) is just the ranking of the physical retail sales.

??

I don't understand what is leading people to believe that Overwatch had a significantly stronger than average digital performance (on console).

Oh that "point 5". Sorry XD

I think it's just Aquamarine putting 2 and 2 together. Overwatch is huge on PC. Hence the belief in large digital shares (on PC at least). I don't think she has access to digital numbers on consoles.

No matter what, thanks for the numbers Aqua! This wouldn't be as interesting without you :D

Mazzy said:
Mike_L said:

??

Multiplayer-only games usually do well digitally. And the game was (probably) marketed as a digital release (that makes more sense in my head ). That's what I think.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Do you have Halo 5 numbers available, Aqua?