Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Best game on the original Xbox

It's...

Halo: Combat Evolved 30 20.41%

Halo 2 35 23.81%

Half Life 2 3 2.04%

Knights of the Old Republic 34 23.13%

Other 45 30.61%

Total:147

Either Knights of the Old Republic (best star wars games by far) or The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY. Reason -> I like RPGs. I despise sport games. Shooters... They're alright. (for most gamers, FPS is THE best genre. To me, it's just meh. They're short and your hand is held to the end. It's like being a mouse that has a mouse sized gun that's going through a maze while fighting creatures that are trying to eat it or kill it. Same thing but with a different title.

Around the Network

One that I loved that people seem to have forgotten entirely was Gladius. It was a bit like Final Fantasy Tactics and I just loved it.

...actually I just googled it and it was apparently on the Gamecube and PS2 as well. W.e, it was my fav game on the system alongside Halo.

I'm actually kind of excited as my Xbox and PS2 have stopped working, but my Gamecube is still going strong lol, I'll have to pick that one up

Hard to pick just 1. I think I am going to have to pick 2.

Halo 2- This game got me into shooters+ lots of fun couch Coop. Sadly Shooters are not very fun anymore.

Morrowind- My favorite of the Elder Scrolls series. Pretty much everything you would want from a WRPG.

Halo CE: game of its respective generation right there.

I feel like I'm missing something with Morrowind. To me I remember it as that game where fighting felt utterly broken as I could aim directly at something, swing my weapon, and just keep missing. It felt like one of those NES game that just don't work properly.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I feel like I'm missing something with Morrowind. To me I remember it as that game where fighting felt utterly broken as I could aim directly at something, swing my weapon, and just keep missing. It felt like one of those NES game that just don't work properly.

Say you got a turn based RPG like Pokemon or Final Fantasy. Occassionally "Miss" happens and you simply miss despite targetting them with an attack and nothing else. I think the Morrowind developers wanted to add in a miss/dodge mechanic since many RPGs have it. It is just not very transparent, and in fact the developers originally had no health bars on the enemies, until reviewers complained.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Say you got a turn based RPG like Pokemon or Final Fantasy. Occassionally "Miss" happens and you simply miss despite targetting them with an attack and nothing else. I think the Morrowind developers wanted to add in a miss/dodge mechanic since many RPGs have it. It is just not very transparent, and in fact the developers originally had no health bars on the enemies, until reviewers complained.

For me though it just ruined the game, the combat felt broken. I'd get killed cos hit after hit just never connected.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

For me though it just ruined the game, the combat felt broken. I'd get killed cos hit after hit just never connected.

Maybe you just didn't understand some of the mechanics of the game. You'd only miss alot if your skill with that weapon was low or the thing you were fighting had a lot of luck (the stat). Admittedly parts of the game were really buggy for consoles and those parts could be considered broken. 

Oddworld : Stranger's wrath

Aeolus451 said:
curl-6 said:

Maybe you just didn't understand some of the mechanics of the game. You'd only miss alot if your skill with that weapon was low or the thing you were fighting had a lot of luck (the stat). Admittedly parts of the game were really buggy for consoles and those parts could be considered broken. 

Having a mechanic that makes spot-on shots miss is straight-up bad game design in my book. Imagine if a shooter did that; you line up a target perfectly, and the game rolls a fucking dice to see if you get to hit. That's crappy.