By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yooka-Laylee E3 2016 Trailer

KLXVER said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

If Yooka-Laylee delivers, Nintendo should definitely try to forge a partnership. Nintendo needs more studios, and I'm sure Playtonic would benefit from Nintendo's resources and guidance.

Just keep MS far away

As far away as possible! :D

Around the Network

Looking good so far, but it still has a LOOONG way to go. Aside from the obvious graphical hiccups in the trailer, the environments and gameplay elements look so bland. I hope they take their time with this instead of rushing development just to meet some arbitrary deadline.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
KLXVER said:

Would be cool if Nintendo hired these guys to do another DK 3D game:)

If Yooka-Laylee delivers, Nintendo should definitely try to forge a partnership. Nintendo needs more studios, and I'm sure Playtonic would benefit from Nintendo's resources and guidance.

Agreed. Playtonic get funding and support for their future projects, Nintendo gets another software contributer, and a Western one to boot. They need all the devs they can get these days, and "Old Rare and Nintendo back together again" would be a hell of a PR statement.

KLXVER said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Just keep MS far away

While MS absolutely deserves criticism for their shameful handling of Rare, (which is now a decaying husk of its former self) I think the decline started before MS arrived. Starfox Adventures was the beginning of their fall from grace in my opinion. It was the first game that really seemed to lack the magic of their N64/SNES titles.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Debugging and polishing before shipping is the final stage of development. Long way off.

And they're being charitable. You have to do that when you know fans will be scrutinising your comments. Wii U is a lot weaker than PS4/X1/PC and has a different architecture, porting to it ain't easy.

Again they basicly have around 6 monts for real devolpment.

We cant know if they were charitable because we only have thait statement. Again, and who care if porting of Wii U version is "slightly more" more complex than PS4/XB1, if they can make money on Wii U version too regardles!?

Polishing in the months before release is part of "real development." When it's not, you get games releasing as broken, unplayable bugfests.

I'm not disputing that the Wii U version would make money. It would likely do quite well. But I expect them to reason that they'll be better off not spending any more cash on Wii U development and making their Nintendo income from NX instead, which will likely be much cheaper to port to.

curl-6 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Agreed. Playtonic get funding and support for their future projects, Nintendo gets another software contributer, and a Western one to boot. They need all the devs they can get these days, and "Old Rare and Nintendo back together again" would be a hell of a PR statement.

KLXVER said:

Just keep MS far away

While MS absolutely deserves criticism for their shameful handling of Rare, (which is now a decaying husk of its former self) I think the decline started before MS arrived. Starfox Adventures was the beginning of their fall from grace in my opinion. It was the first game that really seemed to lack the magic of their N64/SNES titles.

Miyamotoo said:

Again they basicly have around 6 monts for real devolpment.

We cant know if they were charitable because we only have thait statement. Again, and who care if porting of Wii U version is "slightly more" more complex than PS4/XB1, if they can make money on Wii U version too regardles!?

Polishing in the months before release is part of "real development." When it's not, you get games releasing as broken, unplayable bugfests.

I'm not disputing that the Wii U version would make money. It would likely do quite well. But I expect them to reason that they'll be better off not spending any more cash on Wii U development and making their Nintendo income from NX instead, which will likely be much cheaper to port to.

Yes, but they will not canne game 2-3 months before launch when that time is just testing, polishing...that my point.

In first place they are making game in order to make money, why they would ditch Wii U version of game if can they have profit on it, why is better to not spending more money on Wii U when will bring profit to them!? It clear business, you spending your money if you think you will have profit. They can make profit from Wii U version and NX version also, win-win situation, they nothing loose they just gain more profit from two platforms.

Miyamotoo said:

Yes, but they will not canne game 2-3 months before launch when that time is just testing, polishing...that my point.

In first place they are making game in order to make money, why they would ditch Wii U version of game if can they have profit on it, why is better to not spending more money on Wii U when will bring profit to them!? It clear business, you spending your money if you think you will have profit. They can make profit from Wii U version and NX version also, win-win situation, they nothing loose they just gain more profit from two platforms.

It's only profitable as long as more money is made from sales than spent in porting. If they think porting to Wii U is costing too much and don't expect it to sell much on a dead platform, they could jump ship to NX, hoping that cheaper porting and being at the launch of a new system could make for higher profits. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

It's only profitable as long as more money is made from sales than spent in porting. If they think porting to Wii U is costing too much and don't expect it to sell much on a dead platform, they could jump ship to NX, hoping that cheaper porting and being at the launch of a new system could make for higher profits. 

But that is point, porting is not expensive and we both agree that game would have good sales on Wii U. They can make profit on Wii U and NX versions easily.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

But that is point, porting is not expensive and we both agree that game would have good sales on Wii U. They can make profit on Wii U and NX versions easily.

We may both agree that it would likely be profitable on Wii U, but a developer with vested money on the line would probably be more cautious than you or me.

It would be a douchebag move to can the Wii U version, but developers have been known to lose their nerve and leave fans high and dry when they get anxious about deadlines and profit margins. Switching to another Nintendo platform that's be easier to port to could seem to them a "Get out of jail free" card; a way to cover their arse for scamming Nintendo gamers, while backing out of challenging Wii U porting.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

We may both agree that it would likely be profitable on Wii U, but a developer with vested money on the line would probably be more cautious than you or me.

It would be a douchebag move to can the Wii U version, but developers have been known to lose their nerve and leave fans high and dry when they get anxious about deadlines and profit margins. Switching to another Nintendo platform that's be easier to port to could seem to them a "Get out of jail free" card; a way to cover their arse for scamming Nintendo gamers, while backing out of challenging Wii U porting.

Like I wrote several times, at this point they probably already working on both version. There is nothing that tells they will ditch Wii U version at this point, but you can be negative and think they will acuatly ditch it. :)

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Like I wrote several times, at this point they probably already working on both version. There is nothing that tells they will ditch Wii U version at this point, but you can be negative and think they will acuatly ditch it. :)

I'm sure they are already working on both versions, but they're quite a way from done, and Wii U won't be an easy port due to differences in horsepower and architecture. (And Unity not being a great fit for the hardware)

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I'm sure they are already working on both versions, but they're quite a way from done, and Wii U won't be an easy port due to differences in horsepower and architecture. (And Unity not being a great fit for the hardware)

Again, there is nothing that tells they will ditch Wii U version at this point, but you can be negative and think they will actualy ditch it. :)