By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I hope the PS2 dies REAL soon...

I don't know... I can't see Persona 4 on anything but the PS2.

Not to many Persona fans have HD consoles i'd say... just by the numbers alone.

As for the Wii.. as great of games as they are i'm not sure Nintendo would want Persona on their systems. Shin Megami Tensei games are pretty controversial... or would be if anyone outside of the gaming media paid any attention to them.

In the last game you had teenagers summoning daemons by shooting themselves in the heads.

A system shouldn't be put to bed until every developer feels it can't make anymore good games on it.

It's not up to Sony or anyone else to kill the PS2 except for the next gen systems.

That's the real "problem". Aside from looking a lot nicer none of the next gen systems have done anything to surpass the PS2.

Well sure the Wii inovated, but that's not for everybody... and motion controls just don't work for some games like Persona... which might want to lay low until the press stops before getting on the Wii.

Around the Network

Oh.. Dear me..

I'd say the company would want to milk it in the most possible way.

leo-j said:

Who is they? I see lots of third party, and even first party titles being released for the ps2. New ip's like rpg's, and persona 4.

Also who is this we?

Pray tell, what are these first party titles?

I wouldn't really want ps2 to die, since I hope to buy one soon, but I do want developers to either stop the ps2->wii ports, or at least make the wii version the priority.

Also, does anyone know how much the ps2 makes Sony now?

leo-j said:
El Duderino said:
Maybe the PS2 is holding back the Wii a little, but have you ever considered that the Wii may have profited from PS2 devs also making Wii ports ???

Since this is a gaming discussion here's sometin to think about, you wii owners feel as bad as us PS3 owners when it comes from lame ports. Why port from the weaker system to the more powerful console? Sucks to be in that spot.

Leo please dont tell me your saying the PS3 is this all uber console in terms of power over the 360. Because it's not. They are blantanly equal. It's the difference in programming that affects the PS3 versions. 

I_own_a_PS3 said:

PS3 is twice as powerful as the XBox 360. The Nintendo Wii is twice as powerful as the PS2.

The PS2 will live for a further 3 or 4 more years. Why kill off an extremely profitable little machine that makes a lot of people happy and brings in heaps of profit for Sony?

Dude you've made 82 posts. This is the worst you've written. I now know you have nothing constructive to say. The Wii doesnt need loads of power. It's about fun. And the PS3 thing. Just go back to bed. There isnt a difference in the end result. PS3 better CPU. 360 better GPU. 

Around the Network
selnor said:
I_own_a_PS3 said:

PS3 is twice as powerful as the XBox 360. The Nintendo Wii is twice as powerful as the PS2.

The PS2 will live for a further 3 or 4 more years. Why kill off an extremely profitable little machine that makes a lot of people happy and brings in heaps of profit for Sony?

Dude you've made 82 posts. This is the worst you've written. I now know you have nothing constructive to say. The Wii doesnt need loads of power. It's about fun. And the PS3 thing. Just go back to bed. There isnt a difference in the end result. PS3 better CPU. 360 better GPU.

He definately knows nothing about computers. THe wii is at least 4-5 times more powerful than the ps2;  the ps3 ,and 360 are about equal, with the ps3 having a slight advantage. 

If the PS2 would die now (no more games produced for the system) many people would be out of gaming. The truth is, that many PS2-owners aren't ready for current-gen yet. If no new releases are for the PS2, they would stop gaming instead of buying a new one. As long as games are produced for the PS2, these people will stay interested in games and later - when they are ready for current-gen - they may buy a newer console.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The games on the 360 and ps3 look almost exactly the same. The ps3 might end up with a minor to mid graphical advantage but it wont be enough to matter. No one cares. Look at the wii, its selling better and it has worse graphics. Good graphics aren't needed for a game to be fun and sell well.

I think the PS2 dying could negatively affect the Wii. The PS2 doing well means low end games development is more viable.

I think the PS2 being discontinued would mainly positively affect PS3 sales, but would be bad for Sony's gaming devision in terms of profits. I think they should continue at keast until a 299 dollar/Euro Slimline PS3 is ready for the mass market. The Wii install base can continue to grow and stand on its own feet, 1st party games sell well but a larger user community is needed for 3rd party developers.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

It was Nintendo's decision to make a platform with much closer graphical capabilities to last gen consoles than the other two current gen consoles. You get what you sign up for. The PS2 now at the end of it's lifecycle isn't getting great quality software and the Wii is basically sharing in that mediocrity. If the Wii would come out sooner, or the PS2 was more viable to develop for, we may have seen a Devil May Cry or other great series show up.

Overall the Wii has benefitted greatly from straying away from being capable to handle HD graphics. Without the Wii being where it's at now graphically, we wouldn't have had a Zelda game at launch and no Super Paper Mario. Games like No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki would have taken longer to develop. Resident Evil 4, Okami, Bully, Manhunt 2 and many others you could wave bye bye to. In fact, much of the Wii's gaming lineup wouldn't exist, and droughts rivaling the N64 gaming drought would probably put software sales far behind where they are now. 

The PS2 should not die so the Wii can prosper, because that's too black and white. It wouldn't necessarily help the Wii out any. Who's to say the death of the PS2 would improve graphical capabilities? The precedents have been set, and Wii third party games can continue to look like crap with nobody batting an eyelash. The problem I see with PS2 ports is many are tailor made with a gaming controller in mind and not with the Wii's control functions. This hampers gameplay many times. Of course if the Wii was more powerful they would still have this problem, but with the HD ports. There's always a bit of sacrifice when someone tries to innovate. The PS3 tried to innovate a new way to program a game more efficiently, but has to deal with developers that are used to the norm, and the Wii's trying to innovate the gaming controller but developers are still used to the norm.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.