By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Unleased is Appartly Headed to the Wii...

SuperJon said:
Actually, there is no reason to think Sonic 06 isn't platinum when it sold within 10,000 of SATSR in America, just on the X360. So it would stand to reason that, unless EU sales are horrible, that the X360 version of Sonic is platinum by itself. The figures for Sonic 06 in EU haven't been updated in a very long time.

you just had to one up me with your username didn't you... : )

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
bigjon said:
I really doupt that a game coming out in a consoles first year pushed it to its limits... People said the same about Rouge S. 2 for GC at launch, but then a year or two later you see games like RE4 and TP destroying RS2 in graphics.

Basically I am saying the best the Wii can do is about the lower end of what is done on the 360, which is saying alot for the 360. 

I don't know about that.  Retro had to use a lot of tricks to get MP3 going.  Areas were all encapsulated and each was loaded individually.  Most areas were not too diverse or busy; those areas that were very large were either very sparse or reused a lot of the same objects.  Samus was not rendered as anything more than a polygon wireframe during first person gameplay to cut down on overhead.

Now, ask yourself for a moment:  Do you think Retro would do all of this if they were not experiencing difficulties or limitations in some form?  Keep in mind that we're not talking about a shoddy development studio with poor programming skills here.  

But wii is based on GCN hardware. I really don't see it going much further.

Nintendo did make a deal, they didn't spend one red penny on development and got to sell it in Japan.

Yeah, never noticed it, since I don't often stomp around the forums, but mine does trump yours.

Words Of Wisdom said:
bigjon said:
I really doupt that a game coming out in a consoles first year pushed it to its limits... People said the same about Rouge S. 2 for GC at launch, but then a year or two later you see games like RE4 and TP destroying RS2 in graphics.

Basically I am saying the best the Wii can do is about the lower end of what is done on the 360, which is saying alot for the 360. 

I don't know about that.  Retro had to use a lot of tricks to get MP3 going.  Areas were all encapsulated and each was loaded individually.  Most areas were not too diverse or busy; those areas that were very large were either very sparse or reused a lot of the same objects.  Samus was not rendered as anything more than a polygon wireframe during first person gameplay to cut down on overhead.

Now, ask yourself for a moment:  Do you think Retro would do all of this if they were not experiencing difficulties or limitations in some form?  Keep in mind that we're not talking about a shoddy development studio with poor programming skills here.  

Still, I still think there is more that can be done of the Wii.. I have not played MP3 yet, so I will not argue too much. But every console's games tend to get prettier as its like goes on. Look at OoT for N64, people were shocked and amazed when they saw it, but it was still surpased by DK64, and MM(amoung possible others... maybe PD)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I've argued on these forums before about the wii hardware limits. Its imposible to argue as for every argument that wii is gamecube with more RAM...there are more arguments how Wii has better motherboard structure and how its more efficient than the ps3/360 and how because it doesnt do 1080p it is just as good and how devs dont spend money on developing wii games...blah blah...

In 3 years we will know the answer to what Wii is capable of, but for now lets just hope we get the new Sonic on the Wii as well as PS3/360 :)

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
bigjon said:

I don't know about that. Retro had to use a lot of tricks to get MP3 going. Areas were all encapsulated and each was loaded individually. Most areas were not too diverse or busy; those areas that were very large were either very sparse or reused a lot of the same objects. Samus was not rendered as anything more than a polygon wireframe during first person gameplay to cut down on overhead.

Now, ask yourself for a moment: Do you think Retro would do all of this if they were not experiencing difficulties or limitations in some form? Keep in mind that we're not talking about a shoddy development studio with poor programming skills here.

@bolded part: To include that is just silly... This is a first-person single player game, it doesn't even make sense to talk about how Samus is rendered. Do you realize it doesn't have to be rendered at all?

Just because Retro used tricks, it doesn't mean they used the console to its fullest.

In any case, this thread is simply silly (don't take it personally Renar).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Words Of Wisdom said:
bigjon said:
like I said... it will be multiplatform, or they will bet the house on the Wii. Who knows. Maybe Nintendo let them use Mario for M&S with an agreement to give it to the Wii exclusive. This will be a holiday launch title, and has been in Devopment for at least a year or 2.

It is very possible that if Sega is putting so much effort and money into the game that they are pushing Wii HW to its limits(or close to it)

remember we have yet to see what the Wii can do, maybe those pics were the Wii?

I has always felt the Wii is capable of doing graphics similiar to a 360 launch title(back in 05) like DOA or something.

I'm not so certain. I'm about 98% positive that Metroid Prime 3 pushed the Wii to its limit or close to it.

I'm about 98% positive you're wrong.

My staff has spoken with Retro at E3.   MP3 was Retro just getting the controls good more so than it was them pushing the hardware.

Do you really think a new console was pushed to its limits less than a year after market release?   Consoles get "pushed to their limits" what seems like every 6 months.   New game comes out and THAT one pushes it to the limits, 6 months later, it's old news.    Just because Wii has some extensions of the GC architecture doesn't exlcude it from the same progress scale as the others.

I'll let you in on a little developer secret, hardware is never pushed to a maximum point.  New techniques, smarter programming, etc, all continue to allow new progressions to be made.   The Wii won't peak until developers stop pushing themselves.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

NJ5 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
bigjon said:

I don't know about that. Retro had to use a lot of tricks to get MP3 going. Areas were all encapsulated and each was loaded individually. Most areas were not too diverse or busy; those areas that were very large were either very sparse or reused a lot of the same objects. Samus was not rendered as anything more than a polygon wireframe during first person gameplay to cut down on overhead.

Now, ask yourself for a moment: Do you think Retro would do all of this if they were not experiencing difficulties or limitations in some form? Keep in mind that we're not talking about a shoddy development studio with poor programming skills here.

@bolded part: To include that is just silly... This is a first-person single player game, it doesn't even make sense to talk about how Samus is rendered. Do you realize it doesn't have to be rendered at all?

Just because Retro used tricks, it doesn't mean they used the console to its fullest.

In any case, this thread is simply silly (don't take it personally Renar).

Silly or not, it's true.  You can draw your own conclusions and I'll draw mine.  ^_^ 

Viper1 said:

My staff has spoken with Retro at E3. MP3 was Retro just getting the controls good more so than it was them pushing the hardware.

Do you really think a new console was pushed to its limits less than a year after market release? Consoles get "pushed to their limits" what seems like every 6 months. New game comes out and THAT one pushes it to the limits, 6 months later, it's old news. Just because Wii has some extensions of the GC architecture doesn't exlcude it from the same progress scale as the others.

I'll let you in on a little developer secret, hardware is never pushed to a maximum point. New techniques, smarter programming, etc, all continue to allow new progressions to be made. The Wii won't peak until developers stop pushing themselves.

I'm glad someone on this site knows what he's talking about..

Consoles are never pushed to the max. If Nintendo developed today a new game for the NES it would look much better than their previous games on that console. 

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Viper1 said:

My staff has spoken with Retro at E3. MP3 was Retro just getting the controls good more so than it was them pushing the hardware.

Do you really think a new console was pushed to its limits less than a year after market release? Consoles get "pushed to their limits" what seems like every 6 months. New game comes out and THAT one pushes it to the limits, 6 months later, it's old news. Just because Wii has some extensions of the GC architecture doesn't exlcude it from the same progress scale as the others.

I'll let you in on a little developer secret, hardware is never pushed to a maximum point. New techniques, smarter programming, etc, all continue to allow new progressions to be made. The Wii won't peak until developers stop pushing themselves.

It comes down to what it means to hit the maximum point.  To some the maximum point is reached as soon as you hit the first wall where you say "The system can't do this, we need to optimize better or find a work around."  To others the maximum point is what you get when you have done all the optimizing possible and used as many work arounds as possible to achieve the results.