By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The NX: 8th Gen or 9th Gen?

See thread title. Explanations for vote preferred.

Eighth Generation 69 27.17%

Ninth Generation 185 72.83%

Total:254
Shadow1980 said:

Actually, if you count only conventional consoles, meaning PlayStation & Xbox, the console market is still doing very well, at least in the U.S. & Europe. See my charts in the NPD threads for proof. Nintendo is the wild card here. The Wii & Wii U were not conventional consoles, and the former was a huge success while the latter... wasn't.

I didn't say the market wasn't doing well. Read again.

Around the Network

Actually the DC launched just over 15 months before the PS2 in Japan, with the NA launches having a 13-month gap. Meanwhile, the DC was released four years after the PS1. The DC was much, much closer to the PS2 than it was to any fifth-gen system, and had it survived and live a full lifespan it would have spent its prime years competing with other sixth-gen systems. The NX meanwhile will be launching right in the middle of the current generation and will spend at least its first three years competing with the PS4 & XBO and not with any ninth-gen system. So, no, it's not the equivalent of calling the DC a 5th-gen console.

Except with Atari back in the 80s. One company, two second-gen systems. It has happened and the Wii U-to-NX situation could be counted as another instance.

Are you saying Xbone/PS4 will last 6 years? Lol. Maybe PS4 with PS4k, but Xbone stated they want to make the next console upgrade by "big numbers" I think he referred to it as. Xbone will only last 5 years, which means 2 years from now we can pretty much assume the new Xbox will have released. 

As for whether we get 2 8th gen consoles, if the NX is just a beefed up Wii U I can agree, otherwise no.

Shadow1980 said:
bigtakilla said:

Are you saying Xbone/PS4 will last 6 years? Lol. Maybe PS4 with PS4k, but Xbone stated they want to make the next console upgrade by "big numbers" I think he referred to it as. Xbone will only last 5 years, which means 2 years from now we can pretty much assume the new Xbox will have released. 

As for whether we get 2 8th gen consoles, if the NX is just a beefed up Wii U I can agree, otherwise no.

I think the PS4-PS5 gap will be 6-7 years. The XBO's should be about the same. Both systems should peak if not this year then next year, and should decline enough by 2019 to warrant having replacements, which I think will arrive that year or 2020.

So you think for the next 3-4 year Xbox will be okay with being by far the weakest console. I think if they decide to do this it is going to hurt Xbox's bottom line. People have moved back to the Playstation for the most part with it being (spec wise) superior, and it will only get worse as the original PS4's price is going to likely drop (at least the price for used ones will as I see quite a few people trying to upgrade), and an even better sku with 4K becomes available. When Nintendo and Sony are putting out 1080p 60fps games, Microsoft will want to react. Starting last gen and in full force this gen is spec hounding. It's no longer okay to be the weakest, especially if you are trying to compete head on with PS. 

I honestly think Microsoft are keeping quiet and biding their time till they can release a new console, and putting one out in 5 years (total, not from now) will put the PS4k in a really tough position. Will they drop the PS4k so soon to come out with their next console, or will they let Microsoft have a year head start into next gen (or even 2). releasing in 2018 is really kind of the best option for Microsoft.

It's 8th gen, y'all been smoking to much something if you think it's 9th.

Let's look, 7th gen to 8th gen, both Xbox and PlaySation increased the amount of RAM by 16 times! And a dramatic increase in GPU power.

It will be a 8th gen console on par with the Xbox One and PS4.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

The only way its not 9th gen is if they take the Microsoft approach and skip straight to 10.

Around the Network

Generations are dead. Get over it.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

The closest example I can think of is the Intel tick tock system (innovation -> improvement -> repeat) so I would go with 8.5th gen, as PS4.5 according to leaks is a small upgrade and NX sounds like Nintendo updating its offer to 8th gen, with improvements over other 8th gen consoles but no big leap in horsepower.

If it's 9th gen (8th gen tech) NX sales will be bad, Pachter will claim consoles are dead, then PS5 & Xbox Two come out in 2019 consoles are not dead Pachter confirms, Xbox Two will sell more Pachter predicts, Consoles release, PS5 outsells Xbox Two 3 to 1 first year Pachter predicts PS5 will win.

2022 the 10th gen begins Nintendo Wendigo flops Pachter says consoles are dead....etc

The cycle of console life.

I would consider it a 8.5 gen console.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

If Nintendo is smart it won't belong to any particular generation. Doing so would only make it easy for Sony to pick them apart.

Base console should be a 2.4-2.5 TFLOP-ish 14nm machine, with a supplemental computing device (as they patented) that doubles GPU power to 4.8 TFLOP.

And they should release newer SCD refreshes every 2-3 years.