By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The NX: 8th Gen or 9th Gen?

See thread title. Explanations for vote preferred.

Eighth Generation 69 27.17%

Ninth Generation 185 72.83%

Total:254

Nintendo beats to it's own drum. It'll be classified as one or the other, sure. Not by Nintendo though.

Around the Network
HylianYoshi said:
Aeolus451 said:
How is this even a question or a topic up for debate? It's a 9th generation console.

It's up for debate because if Nintendo were to release NX2 (or whatever) right around the time of the PS5 and XB2, would Nintendo just be a generation ahead of the competition?

It's not really up to debate. Nintendo has been releasing their home consoles a bit early compared to sony or ms but they follow a pattern or time table. Only way for that to play out like that is for Nintendo to start releasing console very early or console gens as a whole get shorter. .5 consoles are just rumors at this point (Phil has already said they're not doing that) and nintendo hasn't made any annoucements about NX's launch window (it could release this year or next year) or even what it is. People can believe whatever rumors they want but I rather trust that a lot of companies stick to what's proven to work or to tradition itself with alot of things. Nintendo is more stubborn in that sense. Sony is not in a position to gamble with products not turning a decent profit or with products that are making money (VR by itself is a big gamble). MS is the most likely to try and change things or do something different with the console gens/consoles but they already denied that they're doing anything related to upgradeable consoles. People love to jump to conclusions with the rumors. 

Shadow1980 said:
Airaku said:
It's 100% a 9th gen console. Nintendo will be kickstarting the 9th gen, just like they did with 8th gen. Generations are not defined by power, they are defined by release. The cycle continues.

And the NX is being released at a point that will likely be equidistant between the release of the PS4/XBO & PS5/Xbox 4. It'll be debuting at or just before the PS4 & XBO hit their own peaks, and its library will likely be composed primarily of 8th-gen titles. Calling it a true 9th-gen system is a stretch.

Not really. Like I said. It's not  defined by power. Was the Wii a 6th gen console because it was weak? No, it was a 7th gen system. The Wii U kicked off 8th gen, and Nintendo will kick of 9th gen with the NX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console This breaks down the console generation very accurately. I suggest you give this a read.

This is equivalent to calling the Dreamcast a 5th gen console, when Sega kicked off 6th gen. It launched 2 years before the PS2. I honestly don't understand this debate when the facts are in the numbers themselves. It's a simple as counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9    numbers don't lie, numbers never lie :3

It will be 9th gen but the cycle will be different than the PS5 and XB2

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

The Wii U-NX case is like the Saturn-Dreamcast. The Saturn, (like the Wii U) failed to compete with it´s competitors so Sega decided that the future was to begin a new gen with the Dreamcast. Nintendo is doing exactly the same thing. I can see NX being the weakest 9th gen console (like the Dreamcast) but it will have the power enough to compete and succeed against Sony and Microsoft :)

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

I never said generations were defined by power. Read the OP again.

Yes, but you also said that it's like the N3DS and the PS4k. The problem is, those are upgrades of current architecture. This isn't an upgrade. This is an all new console, 100% different. The Wii used the same architecture as the Game Cube, except it was a totally different console. Spec wise, it's not much different from the N3DS or DSi. The Neo PS4 is by far a bigger upgrade than the Wii was to the Game Cube. The only difference is that the Wii was actually a 8th gen console.

Going by hardware factor alone. There is no debates that this is a 9th gen console. I fail to see how any argument suggests otherwise. We just went from numbers, to the core technology itself. It's also looking to be a leap over the Wii U. It's 100% a different console and fits every definition of a next generation console.

It is extremely important to know that the architecture of the Neo PS4 is the same as the PS4, just more powerful. This is why the games are cross compatible. It's no surprise that developers cannot make exclusive games for the Neo PS4. Think of the PS4 to the Neo PS4 in likeness of low to high end settings on a PC. It's really no different.

Aeolus451 said:
How is this even a question or a topic up for debate? It's a 9th generation console.

Because there are still users here who doesn't get it. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Its going into a new timeline!!!!!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Probably 8th (or "8.5"), but it might force Sony or Microsoft to put out new consoles earlier and thus be 9th generation.

Generations are defined by time, not power or capabilities. Even if the NX far exceeds the power of the PS4 it still will be 8th generation if it releases closer to the PS4 than it does the PS5.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

9th