By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The NX: 8th Gen or 9th Gen?

See thread title. Explanations for vote preferred.

Eighth Generation 69 27.17%

Ninth Generation 185 72.83%

Total:254

8th generation.

It's gonna compete with the PS4 and Xbone. It'll have similar specs to PS4 or PS4K. It'll have the same multiplats.

9th gen starts when Sony say it does, arrogant but it's the truth. They're the only ones likely to stick to the 6-7 year plan.

Around the Network

From a chronological standpoint it is a 9th gen.
Specwise it is too close to PS4 specs and probably too far from PS5 specs to be called 9th gen. I think chronological order is more important so I am on team 9th gen. But I don't think those who think consolepower defines the consolegeneration are entirely wrong. For the moment it seems less right though, but if the NX turns out to be weaker than PS4 that debate is going to live again.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

8th gen or 8.5 if you want.
PS5 & Xbox Two will probably release around 2019-2020 so a 9th gen console released in 2016 doesn't make sense at all.

I think I'd call it 8.5, their next console will be 9th gen or maybe the NX will go through 9th gen and then maybe it's 9th gen. Kinda depends when the next one comes out

In retrospective, I think it will be considered Nintendo's 2nd entry in 8th gen.

Around the Network

Each generation is defined by the console manufacturer dn when they entered the market. So because the concept of neo is a powerful ps4 while that of nx is the next Nintendo console hence its ninth gen. By release time if the ps5 or neXbox come at most three years after nx then its 9th gen otherwise 8.5th gen. By power standards it could be 8yh or 9th depending upon comparison to ps5 and neXbox. In case of innovation ps3 and Ps4 belong in the same gen as does xbox360 and one while Wii u is a generation ahead of the curve. So its all a matter of collective perspective that keeps the balance of generations straight

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

It will be a ninth generation console even if it is underpowered. Take a look at the first two Xbox consoles. The Xbox came out November 2001 and then the Xbox 360 came out November 2005. Sure it was less than the 5-6 year cycle for a console successor, but it was quite clear that the 360 was a full sucessor to the original Xbox.
The Sega Saturn came out in 1994/1995 then the Sega Dreamcast came out 1998/1999. Another fairly short cycle there, but most people call the Saturn a fifth-gen console and the Dreamcast a sixth-gen console. I think people are still debating this because if the NX comes out late 2016 it will be the shortest time for a sucessor to a Nintendo home console. The debate is also on because the competition has not even been out for three years yet.
My money is on the NX being 9th gen, but we will have to wait what history makes of it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Shadow1980 said:
Ljink96 said:
Whoever votes 8th gen does NOT know how to count. Go back to school. It's a NEW NINTENDO CONSOLE. It's 9th. Wii U has been out for 4 years, it'll be 5-6 when NX comes out. Wii arrived in 2006, Wii U in 2012. It's about right. Most generations are 5-6 years. Unlike NEO, NX is confirmed to be a totally new concept so it's 9th, final answer.

Atari 2600→Atari 5200→Atari 7800. Atari 2600 = 2nd generation, so Atari 7800 = 4th generation confirmed! The 7800 competed directly with the SNES and Genesis.

Like I said, it's not as simple as an "NES = 3rd gen, ... Wii U = 8th gen, NX = 9th gen" progression. It has to be viewed in a greater context than "It was released 4 years after the Wii U."

The reason Atar 5200 is considered secnd generation because in the SO IMPORTANT US of A there was a gaming crash. So  Atari 5200 and Colecovsion were kind of forgotten about and they lumped them into gen two as it only lasted 2 years.

Gen 3 started with NES because this was post crash so a new era.

In all honestly Atari 5200 and Colecovision in my eyes should be gen 3 consoles but people lke to sweep the death of gaming under the carpet, and NES etc gen 4. 

Hiku said:
Aeolus451 said:

It's not really up to debate. Nintendo has been releasing their home consoles a bit early compared to sony or ms but they follow a pattern or time table. Only way for that to play out like that is for Nintendo to start releasing console very early or console gens as a whole get shorter. .5 consoles are just rumors at this point (Phil has already said they're not doing that) and nintendo hasn't made any annoucements about NX's launch window (it could release this year or next year) or even what it is. People can believe whatever rumors they want but I rather trust that a lot of companies stick to what's proven to work or to tradition itself with alot of things. Nintendo is more stubborn in that sense. Sony is not in a position to gamble with products not turning a decent profit or with products that are making money (VR by itself is a big gamble). MS is the most likely to try and change things or do something different with the console gens/consoles but they already denied that they're doing anything related to upgradeable consoles. People love to jump to conclusions with the rumors. 

It is up for debate because the generational term is a collective term for all consoles and not just Nintendo's. This is a new Nintendo console generation. Nintendo's 7th. But what defines whether it falls into the 8th collective generation or the 9th? WiiU never properly joined the 8th generation, as the majority of the 8th gen games ignored the system. When NX comes out, it will now likely get most of the 8th gen games. But developers are not going to move on to produce games primarily for a new generation of games when NX comes out. And if 90%+ of NX's new games are generation 8 games, then it's more of an 8th gen console.

So I would rather say it's Nintendo's 7th generation console, properly entering the collective 8th generation.

I was talking about about console gen as a whole.

@ the bolded part, it's simple. Wii is 7th gen and the wii u is 8th gen because it released after wii as a entirely different console. Devs supporting it with 3rd party games doesn't factor into this. What games from this gen get ported to the nx doesn't matter. The PS4 and PS3 have some the same games at the end of 7th gen but does that mean the PS4 is a 7th gen console? No. How does BC work with the xbox one? Is the xbox one 7th gen because it's BC with some of the xbox 360's games? No. 

I think people like "console gens" to be convoluted as possible. 

If we were to define console gens by release then by definition NO ONE would have 8th gen consoles, plain and simple ...

As soon as Atari died or people started grouping successive multiple consoles from the same console manufacturer in the same generation it became pretty clear that console gens were not defined by a specific release cycle by a single console manufacturer and is instead defined by competing console manufacturer's releasing new platforms in a related time frame ...