By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the outrage towards PS4K proof that console gamers care more about performance and visuals than they're willing to admit?

Well, I don't know about outrage, but I'd be pretty pissed if I were an early (or earlier) adopter who spent dough on software and online, only to find that later adopters will get a superior gaming experience as thanks for waiting until they made their purchase, it doesn't inspire huge loyalty or incentive for early adopters. Slim versions and the like can't really be compared (in case someone was going to).
Adding 4K support for blu-ray; good enough, in my opinion. Adding chipset(s) that allow for better performance in games, that's just unfair to existing PS4 owners.
But, there are some issues tied to modern devices, most of which I've brought up in the thread that shall not be mentioned, accelerated hardware revision and development is among these as the market pace is set by more mainstream devices (like phones and tablets).

Still; I suppose it's better than the PS3, when they simply removed features as time went on instead...

Around the Network
POE said:
There is not outrage. Sony can do anything and people will still idolatrate them.

Pretty much this, and if anyone dares to be unhappy about this, there´s already the thought police in action,shaming and ridiculing others, there are fans that even want to coin the nickname PSpoor just to make the point that if you don´t want to upgrade you are just poor.

vivster said:

Feels that way to me. All these years the power of the PS4 was totally fine and the games look AMAZING and the human eye can't see faster than 24fps.

But when they're suddenly presented with a better choice they start to feel inferior. Why though? If the current performance of the PS4 is totally fine and in no way underpowered, why be scared of useless hardware improvements that won't improve the games in any way?

If the rumors are true and there will be no exclusive content for PS4K then I can only conclude two possible things about people who hate it.

1. Money envy. They're not able to afford all the newest things and hate if other people can buy better products.

2. Hidden regret. They suddenly realize that if Sony apparently deems the PS4 too weak, they feel as if they were wrong all along and the PS4 is actually underpowered despite their furious claims.

Anyway I don't like it. For once Sony does everything right and is about to reclaim my lost faith in them and there are people who try to hate on it for their own selfish reasons.

Knock it off, guys. Let Sony be great again! The claim that the release of a better console version will in any way hurt the juggernaught that is the PS4 is ridiculous.

Sony is screwing over gamers who should care because the hardware is supposed to be set and fixed per gen. To give an updated higher performance console is not an honest situation on Sony's part. That means you've not sold your promise to your customers. The 4k console is going to have a priorty to meet 60 FPS for most games this gen. Thats one standard Sony has set out to meet, that the original PS4 will fail to get to for the majority of owners (sadly).

As Spencer said, if hes going to make an update like that it might as well be a whole new console.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
vivster said:

Feels that way to me. All these years the power of the PS4 was totally fine and the games look AMAZING and the human eye can't see faster than 24fps.

But when they're suddenly presented with a better choice they start to feel inferior. Why though? If the current performance of the PS4 is totally fine and in no way underpowered, why be scared of useless hardware improvements that won't improve the games in any way?

If the rumors are true and there will be no exclusive content for PS4K then I can only conclude two possible things about people who hate it.

1. Money envy. They're not able to afford all the newest things and hate if other people can buy better products.

2. Hidden regret. They suddenly realize that if Sony apparently deems the PS4 too weak, they feel as if they were wrong all along and the PS4 is actually underpowered despite their furious claims.

Anyway I don't like it. For once Sony does everything right and is about to reclaim my lost faith in them and there are people who try to hate on it for their own selfish reasons.

Knock it off, guys. Let Sony be great again! The claim that the release of a better console version will in any way hurt the juggernaught that is the PS4 is ridiculous.

Sony is screwing over gamers who should care because the hardware is supposed to be set and fixed per gen. To give an updated higher performance console is not an honest situation on Sony's part. That means you've not sold your promise to your customers. The 4k console is going to have a priorty to meet 60 FPS for most games this gen. Thats one standard Sony has set out to meet, that the original PS4 will fail to get to for the majority of owners (sadly).

As Spencer said, if hes going to make an update like that it might as well be a whole new console.

Imagine if someone did this in another market; a sports car with a promised 0-60 time of 3 seconds is released and a top speed of 220mp/h, it only manages to do it in 4.5 seconds and at 175mp/h, but still does well. Three years later, the company proudly announces and sells the updated version that accelerates 0-60 in the promised 3 seconds and reaches the 220mp/h top speed, the ones who own the first one are told to simply buy the newer one if they want the same performance. The old one can drive the same road, same sized fuel-tank, has the same transmission and a stereo that is just as good, who cares, right?

I think this is a dick move by Sony if true and like I've said; add 4k blu-ray support and you're golden, add chipsets that outperform the original and thus greatly reward late adopters, that's a dick move, regardless of whether or not they can "still play the same games".
The whole point of consoles, and one of the main points many developers and gamers use against the PC platform, is that consoles are uniform in performance and that instills a sense of fair play (pun intended) on consumers and developers alike, this will bypass that and completely change the rules on what should be acceptable to consumers.

All this is if the rumors are true though, which they might still not be. Oh, and if it turns out to be a ploy to increase the power output to handle VR on the PS4, that makes it even worse, that would signal that the PS4 was never really VR-ready to begin with.

Mummelmann said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

All this is if the rumors are true though, which they might still not be. Oh, and if it turns out to be a ploy to increase the power output to handle VR on the PS4, that makes it even worse, that would signal that the PS4 was never really VR-ready to begin with.

VR was a constant marketing tool from the very beginning for PS4, so yes it would be terrible if it doesn´t work well on PS4 and actually have to buy a new system to have a passable performance. They basically fooled their consumers.

Around the Network

No, the problem is simple, this Old/Neo division results in neither of the models being used properly so nobody gets their money's worth, it benefits absolutely nobody other than Sony getting some people to double dip on HW. It' a dumb greedy move that defeats the purpose of making a console in the first place
If Sony is so worried about keeping up with power then maybe they should just go third party and make PC games

SIE has turned to shit for a few years now. Some of the execs need to leave, and so do some WWS people (Shu and Scott)

So will we get thread after thread about the differences in performances between ps4 and PS4k like we did for PS4 and xbox one?
PS4k fanboys looking down on PS4 owners for owning an inferior product?
I'm on the fence about the whole thing. I never really got into the whole dsi, new 3ds thing because I felt spending the money was largely unnecessary, as there didn't seem to be much difference between them and the older models. This sounds like it might be a far bigger difference so It might be more tempting, even if I'd rather not spend the money. NX this year anyway so I'll waot and see what it all looks like next year

Can't we wait until some confirmations and then see if it will be just another slim version with some VR support.

Roronaa_chan said:

No, the problem is simple, this Old/Neo division results in neither of the models being used properly so nobody gets their money's worth, it benefits absolutely nobody other than Sony getting some people to double dip on HW. It' a dumb greedy move that defeats the purpose of making a console in the first place
If Sony is so worried about keeping up with power then maybe they should just go third party and make PC games

SIE has turned to shit for a few years now. Some of the execs need to leave, and so do some WWS people (Shu and Scott)

its 2016, on PC it works flaweley. Dark Souls 3 runs like on PS4 on low budget cards

i agree about the comment about SIE, but Hardware isnt so much their bussiness which was always a perfect decission making so far by the hardware design team

Honestly, while I do agree with some of your points and I have nothing against Ps4k in theory, i smelll a ton of insecurity indeed, but part of it is coming from you. Where is the outrage?

If this was something related to Nintendo or Microsoft you would see people shitting about it for months absolutely everywhere, wether they have good reasons or not to shit about is another story, however this comes from Sony and I'm seeing close to no outrage at all, wich is what me and many people were expecting, so why are you so concerned about? Sure there are some angry voices, but they are so silent compared to the shitstorm everyone else gets for any stupid thing that is not remarkable.

Oh, and really, a more powerfull machine is what you need to recover your lost faith in the company? That doesnt sound superficial at all.