By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the outrage towards PS4K proof that console gamers care more about performance and visuals than they're willing to admit?

Ka-pi96 said:
Nah, it's just proof that people are a pissy complaining bunch of bitches these days and that the word outrage has lost all meaning.

Haha! So true XD

Around the Network
Nem said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Sega used upgrades that cost $300(CD) and $400(32x) respectively(and this was in the 90's). The problem with upgrades is that you can't sell the original console, wich makes it very expensive.

That much we know. Bur that probably isn't what SEGA was thinking would happen. If you think from the PoV of someone that got the PS4 already, it will be an extra 400€/$. Its not too different.

It's time to face it. Upgrades and peripherals just don't work. They never have. I don't see why it should start now.

It won't be an extra $400 because they can sell their 'old' PS4. Also this is nothing new, there have been updated versions of game systems before for example Nintendo DSI and N3DS. And N3DS actually has exclusive games.

The alternative would have been a more powerfull day one PS4 for $600. However that would have come with more technical malfunctions just like we hade with Xbox 360 and PS3. In fact, a PS4 with a gpu as powerfull as is rumoured for the PS NEO in an APU(one chip) design wasn't even possible in 2013.

I think a cheaper launch console and a upgraded model for those who want it later on is the better approach.

AnthonyW86 said:
Nem said:

That much we know. Bur that probably isn't what SEGA was thinking would happen. If you think from the PoV of someone that got the PS4 already, it will be an extra 400€/$. Its not too different.

It's time to face it. Upgrades and peripherals just don't work. They never have. I don't see why it should start now.

It won't be an extra $400 because they can sell their 'old' PS4. Also this is nothing new, there have been updated versions of game systems before for example Nintendo DSI and N3DS. And N3DS actually has exclusive games.

The alternative would have been a more powerfull day one PS4 for $600. However that would have come with more technical malfunctions just like we hade with Xbox 360 and PS3.

I think a cheaper launch console and a upgraded model for those who want it later on is the better approach.

The N3DS has 1 wii port as "exclusive", one port of a wii game that is available for half of the price on WiiU too, to say N3DS has exclusives games because of that and like 5 snes roms is pure demagogy.

Goodnightmoon said:
AnthonyW86 said:

The alternative would have been a more powerfull day one PS4 for $600. However that would have come with more technical malfunctions just like we hade with Xbox 360 and PS3.

N3DS has 1 wii port as "exclusive", one port of a wii game that is available for half of the price on WiiU too, to say N3DS has exclusives games because of that and like 5 snes roms is pure demagogy.

Right know it is just one game but there could be more in the future. For example when the N64 Expansion Pack launched there were no games that required it. Less than two years later there were several.

AnthonyW86 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

N3DS has 1 wii port as "exclusive", one port of a wii game that is available for half of the price on WiiU too, to say N3DS has exclusives games because of that and like 5 snes roms is pure demagogy.

Right know it is just one game but there could be more in the future. For example when the N64 Expansion Pack launched there were no games that required it. Less than two years later there were several.

N3DS was released a year ago, is not so new, yet there is 0 exclusives announced for it and the life of the console is slowly coming to an end, so I see pretty much no chances to see any big release as an exclusive, it was just an update that made the console better and more confortable in many aspects, but shares like 99.99% of games with the old model.

I dont disagree with you on the Ps4K, but just because sony releases one port of an old game eventually as an "exclusive" I'm not gonna be saying "Ps4k has exclusive games", because that's just very dishonest, and honestly I do think something is gonna be eventually exclusive on ps4K, wether the number of exclusives or the importance of this releases are big or not remains to be seen, I do not think they are gonna release any big thing as a ps4k exclusive though and I'm pretty sure people is more concerning about the fact that the optimization of a bunch of big Ps4 games could be spoilt once the new machine becomes popular and the old model is not a priority anymore for developers, but that's something that nobody can shit about until it happens, if it happens.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
AnthonyW86 said:

N3DS was released a year ago, is not so new, yet there is 0 exclusives announced for it and the life of the console is slowly coming to an end, so I see pretty much no chances to see any big release as an exclusive, it was just an update that made the console better and more confortable in many aspects, but shares like 99.99% of games with the old model.

I dont disagree with you on the Ps4K, but just because sony releases one port of an old game eventually as an "exclusive" I'm not gonna be saying "Ps4k has exclusive games", because that's just very dishonest, and honestly I do think something is gonna be eventually exclusive on ps4K, wether the number of exclusives or the importance of this releases are big or not remains to be seen, I do not think they are gonna release any big thing as a ps4k exclusive though and I'm pretty sure people is more concerning about the fact that the optimization of a bunch of big Ps4 games could be spoilt once the new machine becomes popular and the old model is not a priority anymore for developers, but that's something that nobody can shit about until it happens, if it happens.

I wasn't critisising the N3DS, sorry if that's what it looked like. I mentioned the exclusive game because even with that it didn't fracture the install base and it did not get the negative response that some people are giving the PS4K right now. So as you agree, the N3DS did not create problems and neither would a PS4K.

We will have to wait and see what happens, though i would not be surprised if at the announcement Sony would make a concrete promise that there will be no PS4K exclusives. It would definitely take away concerns from many PS4 owners.

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 27 July 2018

AnthonyW86 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I wasn't critisising the N3DS, sorry if that's what it looked like. I mentioned the exclusive game because even with that it didn't fracture the install base and it did not get the negative response that some people are giving the PS4K right now. So as you agree, the N3DS did not create problems and neither would a PS4K.

We will have to wait and see what happens, though i would not be surprised if at the announcement Sony would make a concrete promise that there will be no PS4K exclusives. It would definitely take away concerns from many PS4 owners.

Those are two different things. The new 3DS is a slightly improved version that costs £135, on the other hand PS4k is probably going to cost around £400 pounds. I'm not being cheap here. If you're in the same situation as one of my friends who just bought a PS4, you potently could be quite pissed off. I'm not happy about the PS4k, because now I'm really sure that the PS VR will run like crap on the original PS4. That's why they're releasing the PS4k. I really don't want to buy a new console every three years, and I think that sets a bad precedent.   

The whole point of consoles is not having to upgrade every few years.

You buy the fucking console and play all it's games until the next generation begins.

Sony is going to regret this a lot, hope it bites them in the ass big time, seems they can't deal with success without going full stupid.

danielrdp said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Those are two different things. The new 3DS is a slightly improved version that costs £135, on the other hand PS4k is probably going to cost around £400 pounds. I'm not being cheap here. If you're in the same situation as one of my friends who just bought a PS4, you potently could be quite pissed off. I'm not happy about the PS4k, because now I'm really sure that the PS VR will run like crap on the original PS4. That's why they're releasing the PS4k. I really don't want to buy a new console every three years, and I think that sets a bad precedent.   

I think you are looking at it the wrong way, without a new model after three years the PS4 would have been £600 at launch. So you should look at it this way:

Current situation: $400 PS4 in 2013, $400 PS4K in 2016. After you have sold you're PS4 for atleast $200 you will have spend a maximum of $600.

Alternative situation: $600 PS4 with PS4K specs in 2013(if even possible). This would have cost you $600 aswell.

The downside of the last scenario is that, if even possible, you would have a unaffordable big power hungry system for the first few years, possibly with RROD like issues. After 2-3 years they would release a slim version wich would be what the PS4K will be. Also the entry price would still be $400 for a PS4, against a $300 'base' PS4 we will have now.

I would rather have an affordable and well made system and launch, and have the choice of an affordable well designed PS4K 3 years later.