By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 censorship of a woman 18 years old due to western pressure.

Censorship sucks.

Fiore on the other hand...

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
Teeqoz said:

No no no. What you are saying is that SE made the decision that they thought it would be better for them financially to censor this, because they think it can lead to higher sales in the west. That does not mean that western pressure can force SE into censoring their games. They do it out of their own will.

That's semantics.  Censorship isn't always forced upon an entity.  It can also be a choice.  Self-censoring is a real thing.  Most people do it every day when they are talking to their bosses at work.

I'm not saying this isn't censorship, I'm just saying that it's not "due to western pressure". It's because SE thinks it's a smart thing to do financially.

Teeqoz said:
Neodegenerate said:

That's semantics.  Censorship isn't always forced upon an entity.  It can also be a choice.  Self-censoring is a real thing.  Most people do it every day when they are talking to their bosses at work.

I'm not saying this isn't censorship, I'm just saying that it's not "due to western pressure". It's because SE thinks it's a smart thing to do financially.

SE thinks it is a smart thing to do financially because of the Western audience and their criticisms of the sexualization of characters in Japanese games.  That is still Western pressure.  Even if not directly applied, it exists.  They see the criticism others get and opt not to go that route.  They self censor to avoid it.

bigtakilla said:
Teeqoz said:
"Western pressure"

People need to understand that western pressure can't censor SE's games. Only SE can.

To true, but when asked why the changes were made, the response was "The Japanese rating system is different from that in the West and that is why these changes have to happen."

That would be a fair enough reason if they were are afraid of being given a higher age rating. but I'mpretty sure the characters age has nothing to with it, since 18 is within the range of conscent pretty much everywhere.

10/10 would not buy again. So sick of these CENSORSHIP issues. THESE ARE REAL WORLD ISSUES THAT WE MUST FIGHT BACK AGAINST.

Everyone don't buy the game. THEY ARE CUTTING CONTENT AND CHANGING IT, ITS NOT WHAT THE ORIGINAL DEVELOPERS ENVISIONED!!!!! THEIR VISION IS GOING TO WASTE

I'm starting a PETITION for them to change this! Or at least give us the OPTION for those of us who DO WANT IT. Fucking Ninten- I mean, SQUARE ENIX

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
StarOcean said:
The real pervs are the ones who complain about it. They're the ones looking for the panties to complain about to begin with

This doesn't really make sense as I was not calling anyone a perv to begin with....

I don't where in my post I implied it was you. It was just a sweeping statement as a joke

And a lot of grannies don't wear granny-panties. I am offended for them.

Neodegenerate said:
Teeqoz said:

SE thinks it is a smart thing to do financially because of the Western audience and their criticisms of the sexualization of characters in Japanese games.  That is still Western pressure.  Even if not directly applied, it exists.  They see the criticism others get and opt not to go that route.  They self censor to avoid it.

No one is saying that no such pressures exist, simply that "western pressure" is not a tangible enough thing to force their hand. Teeqoz already said they are censoring themselves. Its like Nintendo saying consumer pressure made them cancel windwakers artsyle and revert to something more realistic. Only difference would be that Windwaker actually recieved significantly more backlash then any of these Japanese games, also backlash from their primary consumers not random people who do not represent their audience. Really we're talking 1 Bayonetta review and someone writing an article about Dragons Crown.

Moreover western games like GTA, COD, MAss Effect, Mortal Kombat have recieved much more backlash then any of these Japanese games. Backlash that has reached mainstream news. Yet they haven't censored their games.

It's important because ratings are a really big deal in the west and no minor would ever want or be able to acquire a higher rated game, hence the sales would be zero.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

teigaga said:

No one is saying that no such pressures exist, simply that "western pressure" is not a tangible enough thing to force their hand. Teeqoz already said they are censoring themselves. Its like Nintendo saying consumer pressure made them cancel windwakers artsyle and revert to something more realistic. Only difference would be that Windwaker actually recieved significantly more backlash then any of these Japanese games, also backlash from their primary consumers not random people who do not represent their audience. Really we're talking 1 Bayonetta review and someone writing an article about Dragons Crown.

Moreover western games like GTA, COD, MAss Effect, Mortal Kombat have recieved much more backlash then any of these Japanese games. Backlash that has reached mainstream news. Yet they haven't censored their games.

It certainly is a tangible enough thing to force their hand.  They are admitting it themselves.

Games like GTA, COD, ME, and MK are all rated M and didn't care that they got that rating.  Square might be thinking Star Ocean might get bumped up to that if they kept the art the way it was.  Still pressure, still tangible, still forced their hand.  Regardless of how we as consumers feel about it, that is what it is.