By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - There won't be an Xbox 1.5, says Phil Spencer

Xbox Chief Phil Spencer couldn't care less that Sony plans on updating the PS4 in 2016.

At a roundtable held at Microsoft's Build Developer Conference this week, Spencer made it clear that when Microsoft makes another system, you can be sure it will be a true "upgrade."

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox One and a half," Spencer told Game Informer. "If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers.

"For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it's reliable, the servers are doing well. If we're going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people – an upgrade."

Spencer was in the spotlight last month when he made some cryptic comments about the future of Xbox One at Microsoft's Spring Showcase in San Francisco. "You'll actually see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation allowing the same games to run backward and forward compatible," Spencer said.

While today's news might contradict last month's report of new hardware, the Xbox Chief has said on multiple occasions that his vision for the platform focuses on software updates like the New Xbox Experience, DirectX 12 and Universal Windows App. He also wants to work towards uniting Windows 10 PCs and Xbox One consoles instead of pushing out incremental hardware updates.

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/there-won-t-be-an-xbox-1-5-says-phil-spencer-1318199

Around the Network

Uhuh so there won't be a Xbox one and a half I guess.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

What he Stated, is that he does not want a Half-ass Upgrade, but he don't said that the "Next Big Number" will be Xbox Two, or Xbox One 2.0, they already confirmed those Upgradable thing, there is no sense for him to deny it after 1 Month, he just said that when the Upgrade Came, will be a Big One.

I Think that this will be Expensive as well, i think that will be like Steam Machine.

I'm still hoping there isn't a ps4.5 myself.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

The guy is just talking about how the machine should or should not be named... 

Maybe it will be XBox 720... Phil likes BIG numbers!

and MS got people to pay 150$ for a controller because it was called "Elite"... 

Around the Network

Of course not. However, there is going to be an XboxOnePointFive. Know the difference.

Hunting Season is done...

Rightly so, I think Ms will just introduce the X2 sooner rather then later (2018) as oppose to a mid gen update. From there have upgradable hardware, something which doesn't require people replace the entire box

He's waiting until xbox can handle entry level VR before he admits he was wrong about VR.

ArchangelMadzz said:
I'm still hoping there isn't a ps4.5 myself.

This. 

I can see them pulling XBox to X360 with NextBox, so most likely 2018, but I'm not sure how deep they want to go with loosing money at the start if they go for massive jump that early.