By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - There won't be an Xbox 1.5, says Phil Spencer

Good, I hope there isn't xbox 1.5 or ps4.5

Around the Network

Not as much offended, more concerned. The biggest advantage of consoles is 1 hardware spec.
Half gen upgrades means lower profit margins, more work / longer game development and no more fully optimized versions. Look at the difference between QB and Uncharted 4, one made with UWP in mind, the other custom tailored to the console.

I'm all for a premium SKU, if that means a large SSD/HDD hybrid, 4K UHD player, dedicated VR port, 5ghz wifi, and/or hardware BC. Just leave the hardware spec for games alone. Nothing good will come of it.

Ruler said:
nanarchy said:

If they go the upgrade path I doubt there will be a ps5 or Xbox Next or whatever, people WON'T pay for a machine that requires upgrades every few years, many get consoles to avoid that crap. If they go that way then consoles die plain and simple, I am sure MS won't mind as that plays into their hands too, will be very ugly for sony though.  I really think it is all just rumor though, at best the upgrade would just be a ps4 slim or blu ray upgrade, doing a major hardware upgrade would just kill the brand.

just as they died when the PS2 came out and could play all your PS1 games in better graphics

No, the games din't played better on PS2, i actually think that the games were better on PS1, the PS2, had his own games and a lot of other things, peoplo don't purchased it to play PS1 Games, purchased to Play PS2 Games, otherwise the Xbox One, would be selling more than the PS4, because of Backwards.

sabvre42 said:
Why do all you doomsayers feel betrayed by a second SKU running alongside the original?

A PS4.5 does not devalue your console... it does not have exclusives, and its biggest feature of 4K is something that you guys keep down playing anyways.

Why are you so offended by an elective premium SKU?

I don't have a  PS4, neither a Xbox One, i will wait until this Holidays to purchase one, the US$, was up more than 90% YOY, last year in the place i live, so is better to wait it go down a little, even so i still upset about  Upgradable Consoles, and PS4.5, i want to purchase a Single console and play it for Years, Ubisoft, and Activision,  don't care about Optimization, if we have a PS4K, will be even worse.

And if is a PS4.5, it will have Exclusives, and some games will work like Shit in the lower version, that you will be forced to purchase the new Model to play the game, and this will be like Having a Exclusive, for the machine.

Swordmasterman said:
sabvre42 said:
Why do all you doomsayers feel betrayed by a second SKU running alongside the original?

A PS4.5 does not devalue your console... it does not have exclusives, and its biggest feature of 4K is something that you guys keep down playing anyways.

I don't have a  PS4, neither a Xbox One, i will wait until this Holidays to purchase one, the US$, was up more than 90% YOY, last year in the place i live, so is better to wait it go down a little, even so i still upset about  Upgradable Consoles, and PS4.5, i want to purchase a Single console and play it for Years, Ubisoft, and Activision,  don't care about Optimization, if we have a PS4K, will be even worse.

And if is a PS4.5, it will have Exclusives, and some games will work like Shit in the lower version, that you will be forced to purchase the new Model to play the game, and this will be like Having a Exclusive, for the machine.

So wait... your entire rage storm is based on stuff that you NO evidence for?

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:
Swordmasterman said:

So wait... your entire rage storm is based on stuff that you NO evidence for?

What do you mean ?, we don't even know if this is for real, and we are still arguing about this, so i can have a rage storm based on a Rumor, because we are just arguing about "What If", so i'm answering to it like "What if" this happen.

I hope there isn't an Xbone 1.5

Release something that blows the consoles out of the water. I hope Sony's PS4K does the same. These consoles are too weak.

Hiku said:
sabvre42 said:

It can lead to PS4.8 being able to play a game that was originally designed with the intent of it being for a high end PC, and when they see PS4.8 can run it, they decide to port it over. While on Vanilla PS4, it would run like garbage.
In that case what do they do? Only release it for PS4.6 and PS4.8? Not release it at all for PS4? Or water down the game even though the original intent was for it to be a PC title, just so it can work across all versions?

You are totally fear mongering man.

PS4/XB1 are closed platforms. Sony and Microsoft can enforce requirements on games launched on their platform that they have to be compatible with all SKUs in the PS4/XB1 family (foward compatability). Hell, Sony can even enforce these limitations via the API, by not giving developers access to the acceleration hardware outside of control over the frame rate lock and resolution (they can cap it at 1080p to limit your concerns).

4K upscaling just occurs. If the game is sent to the OS at a resolution of 900/1080p, and the device does the upscaling on its own, your whole cocern is moot.

I think mid lifespan upgrades are stupid personally. Just release the console and leave it as is.

sabvre42 said:
Hiku said:

It can lead to PS4.8 being able to play a game that was originally designed with the intent of it being for a high end PC, and when they see PS4.8 can run it, they decide to port it over. While on Vanilla PS4, it would run like garbage.
In that case what do they do? Only release it for PS4.6 and PS4.8? Not release it at all for PS4? Or water down the game even though the original intent was for it to be a PC title, just so it can work across all versions?

You are totally fear mongering man.

PS4/XB1 are closed platforms. Sony and Microsoft can enforce requirements on games launched on their platform that they have to be compatible with all SKUs in the PS4/XB1 family (foward compatability). Hell, Sony can even enforce these limitations via the API, by not giving developers access to the acceleration hardware outside of control over the frame rate lock and resolution (they can cap it at 1080p to limit your concerns).

4K upscaling just occurs. If the game is sent to the OS at a resolution of 900/1080p, and the device does the upscaling on its own, your whole cocern is moot.

And then they would be like the Wii U, without Third Party Support, only because they want to force Developers to do something, look at the Full Picture, if Microsoft, or Sony, start to force developers for something, they will stop of releasing games for their plataforms, and their consoles would die, or one  of the 2 companies would be open, just to eat the games that the other lost, or Consoles would die, and each company would release their own Store on PC.