By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - There won't be an Xbox 1.5, says Phil Spencer

nanarchy said:
Ruler said:

So this means the Xbox One will be demolished in graphics comparisons if its 4k vs 900p in every DF video if PS4K still comes out? I hope Sony sticks to their guns, as PC is the main competitor now 

For Sony's sake I hope it is all just rumor, I don't own a PS this gen but I eventually will (at least I will if they don't do such a moronic move, not investing in a moving target, that is what PC's are for). It won't end well pi$$ing off a large portion of your user base by splitting it and raising costs.

get used to it. Consoles lost a large amount of userbase to PC you cant have it both way complaining that consoles cant compete with PC and then say: Oh now they have to remain closed consoles. 

There will be a PS5 after PS4K

Around the Network

There is more information on Xbox 1.5 NOT HAPPENING
than the PS4 getting a PS4K/PS4.5!

Shouldn't Sony respond to this by now? Just like Phil?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Ruler said:
nanarchy said:

For Sony's sake I hope it is all just rumor, I don't own a PS this gen but I eventually will (at least I will if they don't do such a moronic move, not investing in a moving target, that is what PC's are for). It won't end well pi$$ing off a large portion of your user base by splitting it and raising costs.

get used to it. Consoles lost a large amount of userbase to PC you cant have it both way complaining that consoles cant compete with PC and then say: Oh now they have to remain closed consoles. 

If they go the upgrade path I doubt there will be a ps5 or Xbox Next or whatever, people WON'T pay for a machine that requires upgrades every few years, many get consoles to avoid that crap. If they go that way then consoles die plain and simple, I am sure MS won't mind as that plays into their hands too, will be very ugly for sony though.  I really think it is all just rumor though, at best the upgrade would just be a ps4 slim or blu ray upgrade, doing a major hardware upgrade would just kill the brand.

nanarchy said:
Ruler said:

If they go the upgrade path I doubt there will be a ps5 or Xbox Next or whatever, people WON'T pay for a machine that requires upgrades every few years, many get consoles to avoid that crap. If they go that way then consoles die plain and simple, I am sure MS won't mind as that plays into their hands too, will be very ugly for sony though.  I really think it is all just rumor though, at best the upgrade would just be a ps4 slim or blu ray upgrade, doing a major hardware upgrade would just kill the brand.

Whoa, I'd prefer they not go this path either, but that seems awfully preemptive. Considering that nearly every other tech sector has annual refreshes and seem to still be alive, I doubt a few upgraded consoles are going to bring about the apocalyptic end of all we've ever known and loved. Building or buying high-tech PCs is still a complicated process, especially for those who aren't well-versed on the subject, and there will be plenty of people still willing to buy a console just to play Madden, Fifa or Call of Duty. I don't think having the best performing console on the market is going to kill Sony's brand, either. 

Ariakon said:
nanarchy said:

Whoa, I'd prefer they not go this path either, but that seems awfully preemptive. Considering that nearly every other tech sector has annual refreshes and seem to still be alive, I doubt a few upgraded consoles are going to bring about the apocalyptic end of all we've ever known and loved. Building or buying high-tech PCs is still a complicated process, especially for those who aren't well-versed on the subject, and there will be plenty of people still willing to buy a console just to play Madden, Fifa or Call of Duty. I don't think having the best performing console on the market is going to kill Sony's brand, either. 

I actually think it would be apocalyptic for consoles. Most of the casual market is gone and aren't coming back, a large portion are settling for PC's or mobile gaming. Such a move would further alienate a portion of the market that can't afford to get on this upgrade train, A console would become just a locked down proprietry PC that you still need to regularly upgrade, basically you are looking at the pigs breakfast that is steamboxes, both concepts are fails as they abandon the benefits of the console but don't pick up all the benefits of being a PC, they are left in a middle ground with a shrinking audience.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
Ruler said:

just as they died when the PS2 came out and could play all your PS1 games in better graphics

I get where you're coming from, but the rumors also seem to paint the ps4k not as a console that is going to replace the ps4, but that will cater to the premium market while the regular ps4 will likely release in a slimmer form at a lower price. Basically, Sony is just setting the future in place and releasing it a bit earlier than it would, so that the adopters that buy the ps4k now will be well served for 4 or 5 years and then will be able to pick up a new console for a cheaper cost than they normally would (hopefully, at least).  Partially this comes from the way hardware is being produced, as the typical 7-10x jump we get from console generations is likely going to take a very, very long time to achieve at an affordable price.  While I understand your concern (as I said, I'm not a fan of this approach either) there is the chance that the original hardware will drop in price much faster than it normally would and pick up even more customers that way. The console market, though not what it once was, is still quite strong. 

A lot is going to depend on how Sony sells this thing. If they make it more of a niche for the hardcore, like the Xbox Elite, in order to slowly introduce it to the marketplace while still catering heavily to the regular ps4's massive install base, I think they'll be fine. If they ignore the regular ps4 in favor of the 4k and release poorly optimized software for its already existing customers, then obviously there would be a huge problem there. As for myself, I plan on sticking to the regular PS4, as games like Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 4 (at least based upon the footage I've seen) are fulfilling my graphics-whore needs quite well and will likely continue to do so for the next few years, at least. 

Ruler said:
nanarchy said:

just as they died when the PS2 came out and could play all your PS1 games in better graphics

so you think this upgrade isn't coming till late 2018/2019, if so then it better not be are only twice as powerful as these silly rumors say.

I think he is catching on with Sony's PR game.

He should've announced a recruitment event for ex-studio evolution workers and we would go full circle. :D

Well... regardless of PR stuff i think he is right. If theres no significant upgrade, the consumers won't get it. And to get a significant upgrade means to burn early adopters, wich isn't a very good idea for your next system.
I don't think this PS4K thing is gonna end any better than the new 3DS.

Why do all you doomsayers feel betrayed by a second SKU running alongside the original?

A PS4.5 does not devalue your console... it does not have exclusives, and its biggest feature of 4K is something that you guys keep down playing anyways.

Why are you so offended by an elective premium SKU?