By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 VERY close to become #1 Retail Software This Gen! (3DS is leading)

jason1637 said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

I didn't think of it that way. While I'm the only gamer in my house, my circle of friends and I do borrow a lot of games off of each other; one of them is borrowing my copy of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam right now. I also did upgrade from an old 3DS to a New XL, so that kind of proves that as well.

I live with my sisters and they all have the 3ds(casual). I usally give them games i don't play anymore. 

That makes sense. 

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Around the Network

What about the 360 and ps3 sales? Do you think they will reach a billion? Everybody already knew ps4 software sales would pass 3ds. We are looking at an attachment rate that will likely surpass 11 or 12 games by the end vs 4 or 5. The 3ds will even sell less hardware than the ps4. Why don't you point out the color of the sky while you are at it?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Megaoverlord12 said:

Nintendo handhelds often have surprisingly low software to hardware ratios, largely because people who buy Nintendo handhelds largely only buy Nintendo games even on the DS, which had a tie in ratio around 5 games per system. PlayStation and Xbox gamers traditonally buy far more third party games, so the writing was on the wall. Congrats, I guess.

Handhelds in general have lower attach rates than consoles. PSP, PSVita, & Sega Game Gear all have much lower attach rates than even Nintendo handhelds.

axumblade said:
MortienGerrux said:

I don't see that anywhere in the title or original post.

Also, why wouldn't digital sales matter?

This thread is about physical sales because it is using VGChartz data. VGChartz does not track digital data, therefore that is what it is about. Furthermore, PC transcends generations due to the inability to really say which games sold from which generation. So please stop derailing this thread. 

Very well said.  I edited the title to make it clear just incase anyone else gets confused.  

RavenXtra said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

Nintendo handhelds often have surprisingly low software to hardware ratios, largely because people who buy Nintendo handhelds largely only buy Nintendo games even on the DS, which had a tie in ratio around 5 games per system. PlayStation and Xbox gamers traditonally buy far more third party games, so the writing was on the wall. Congrats, I guess.

Handhelds in general have lower attach rates than consoles. PSP, PSVita, & Sega Game Gear all have much lower attach rates than even Nintendo handhelds.

Yeah, I've noticed this myself.   I think this partly has to do with the kind of content released, though.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
axumblade said:

The reason they are different is because we do not have a way to track digital sales and the data being used on this thread is based on VGChartz numbers.  

No we do. Just look to SteamSpy. All VGC needs to do is come up with something like that but that can also check Xbox and PSN and Nintendo Profiles.

Anyway im surprised cos i thought the PS4 already was the number 1 software seller at retail O_o . Must of been a dream, but i could of swear i read something like this already x_x .

You probably read it was #1 for the EU region or the USA region.  But WW retail according to Vgchartz it's behind the 3DS. 

Megaoverlord12 said:
zorg1000 said:

thats not Nintendo handhelds, its handhelds in general. Look at Gamegear, PSP, Vita attach ratios.

Very true, I'll admit to not noticing that. I know that a very large demographic for handhelds are kids who buy the latest Pokemon or whatever and that's it, but I can't fathom only having 4 3DS games or 5 DS games.

look at it from this perspective, why would you need more? If people are just playing their home consoles when they are at home or other devices and really only using the 3ds when they leave the house they are not gonna be carrying around too much games. I have nine 3ds games thats the same amount i have for PS4 but i got 4 back in November. and 3ds a year after launch

oniyide said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

Very true, I'll admit to not noticing that. I know that a very large demographic for handhelds are kids who buy the latest Pokemon or whatever and that's it, but I can't fathom only having 4 3DS games or 5 DS games.

look at it from this perspective, why would you need more? If people are just playing their home consoles when they are at home or other devices and really only using the 3ds when they leave the house they are not gonna be carrying around too much games. I have nine 3ds games thats the same amount i have for PS4 but i got 4 back in November. and 3ds a year after launch

I get that perspective for many people, but I personally play a lot of hand held games at home. Often times more the home console, but I know I am an outlier. I suppose I should have clarified that I meant for me personally. I personally have had my 3DS since December of 2011 and have 17 retail 3DS games, wheras I got my Wii U November 2013, and have 12 retail games, and finally my Xbox One November 2015 with 5 games.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Megaoverlord12 said:
oniyide said:

I get that perspective for many people, but I personally play a lot of hand held games at home. Often times more the home console, but I know I am an outlier. I suppose I should have clarified that I meant for me personally. I personally have had my 3DS since December of 2011 and have 17 retail 3DS games, wheras I got my Wii U November 2013, and have 12 retail games, and finally my Xbox One November 2015 with 5 games.

yeah thats def outlier stuff right there. Ive owned at least one iteration of Ninty portables, PSP and PSvita. and the PSP is the only one that i had a library that dipped in double digits

Yep, it is the fastest selling console and handheld consoles generally don't move as much software.

Might take a couple years for X1 to surpass 3DS at most.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)