By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much does Vive/Oculus/PSVR need to sell for you to consider them succesful?

And to clarify, I mean in their first iteration only, ie. only CV1, and no PSVR2 which will almost certainly be a thing one day.

For PSVR, if it manages to sell 5 million units this gen, I'd personally consider that pretty succesful. Oculus is harder to say, because they may go for the PC-like approach of rather rapid updates (ie. releasing new models rather often), but if I were to break my own rules and just say all models releasing in the next 5 years combined, 5 million for Oculus seems reasonable as well. Vive I don't really know.

What would it take for you to consider the various VR headsets as successes?

Around the Network

I'm not sure numbers are the only way Ill consider it a success. It could sell 5 million, but if 4 million of them hates it, then...

Playstation VR: 10-15M
Ocolus Rift: 7-10M
Vive: 5-7M

Ka-pi96 said:
I'll consider them successful when/if the companies behind them call them successful. Without knowing their expectations it's not hard to say any other way.

Fair enough, but that's rather boring to wait for

Would you consider them successful if they recouperated R&D costs and broke even?

Ka-pi96 said:
Teeqoz said:

Fair enough, but that's rather boring to wait for

Would you consider them successful if they recouperated R&D costs and broke even?

In that case... not successful, but also not a failure. Somewhere in the middle.

You sure? I mean, while the first generation of VR in this scenario will only have broken even, it will surely help Sony/Oculus(Facebook)/Valve+HTC when they launch gen 2 of VR. they can piggyback of the previous gen R&D (of course youll have to improve them, but you don't start from scratch), and there is more potential for profit.

Think of it as the business model of selling console hardware at a loss, only to make it back on software sales and accessories, services etc. except instead, the first generation of VR isn't meant to make a giant return, it just lays the foundations for future success. For me, what's most important is if I think the devices manage to lay these foundations, not that they neccesarily have to recouperate all R&D costs this gen (though given that we don't know R&D costs, that could be both a much bigger task then we think, or a much smaller task).

Of course I'm just speculating here, maybe Sony/Oculus/Valve want to see a good return on their investment in the first gen as well.

Around the Network

Honestly it has to sell half of console sales to be successful in my books, otherwise it is just another Kinect or Move.

psvr- 10ml
Oculus- 20ml
Vive- 10ml

PS VR is a success if it can make 10m sales, imo.

Acevil said:
Honestly it has to sell half of console sales to be successful in my books, otherwise it is just another Kinect or Move.

Not sure about Move sales, but the Kinect was a massive success, so "just another Kinect" doesn't make much sense.

Ka-pi96 said:
Teeqoz said:

You sure? I mean, while the first generation of VR in this scenario will only have broken even, it will surely help Sony/Oculus(Facebook)/Valve+HTC when they launch gen 2 of VR. they can piggyback of the previous gen R&D (of course youll have to improve them, but you don't start from scratch), and there is more potential for profit.

Think of it as the business model of selling console hardware at a loss, only to make it back on software sales and accessories, services etc. except instead, the first generation of VR isn't meant to make a giant return, it just lays the foundations for future success. For me, what's most important is if I think the devices manage to lay these foundations, not that they neccesarily have to recouperate all R&D costs this gen (though given that we don't know R&D costs, that could be both a much bigger task then we think, or a much smaller task).

Of course I'm just speculating here, maybe Sony/Oculus/Valve want to see a good return on their investment in the first gen as well.

hmm, I suppose that depends on both how much it has to do to break even in the first place and where it goes from there. Although even then I'd probably still see that more as their VR project as a whole being successful rather than that first individual unit.

But if the first VR gen successfully lays the foundations for a overall successful VR market, couldn't the first VR gen then be considered successful? (I'm just screwing with you now)