By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much does Vive/Oculus/PSVR need to sell for you to consider them succesful?

Chazore said:
Teeqoz said:

Are we seeing things that aren't there now? Where did I try to determine that anything was dead, or anything was alive? Where did I warp rules to benefit one over the other two? First of all, in my op, I say that my bar for success for Oculus is also 5 million, but it's foolish to have the same bar for all headsets, completely ignoring all other factors. Headsets like StarVR can be successful without selling 5 million. It's just like I wouldn't have the same bar for success for the iphone 7 and the Xperia Z5 or whatever.

In nearly every VR thread I've seen you complain about other people proclaiming PCVR to be dead, often without anyone actually doing that in the thread. FYI I believe PSVR is much more dependent on decent sales than PCVR is, because due to the openness of the PC platform, it will get support either way, through mods etc. On the other hand, the PSVR pretty much needs a somewhat decent userbase to receive support. What this means is basically I think there's no real way PCVR can fail altogether. The PSVR on the other hand has a very real chance of crashing and burning completely. Now please, not everyone is out to proclaim PCVR as dead, so stop acting like it.

You and me, we are always going to see the picture differently. You see random estimated numbers, I see a post being set up, a goal of sorts. Months later I imagine said estimated numbers will be brought up if not altered and then used again once sales data comes out, thus showing that the estimated numbers were in fact meant as a way to determine what lives and what dies, because believe it or not this site loves to run with numbers, to determine what is awesome and what is bad, that's just the sort of discussion that happens on this site, I don't see it on sites like the Escapist or Destructoid who also discuss games, they just don't care for what lives or dies, they only care about what they like.

The way you see proclamation is different to you than it is to me, you want to see a more vocal and direct proclamation, there are other ways of doing it without being so direct and up front but whatever helps you I guess. I don't have to act that which I see, just because you don't see it doesn't men I don't see it around the web or outside the net itself, please stop trying to dictate what I can and cannot see, if all you're going to do is constantly clash with me alone then simply don't talk to me, because that also seems to happen every thread you have, you instantly want to butt heads with me (really not hard to tell that you don't like me either but lets pretend you say you do and I'll have to take your solemn word for it like everything else).

You are fully allowed to see what you want, and I don't doubt you have seen people proclaiming PCVR as DOA on either VGC, or elsewhere. I'm not trying to "dictate what you can and cannot see", but complaining about it in every single thread is tedious and unnecessary. As for me wanting to butt heads with you and constantly clash with you, I find that pretty ironic because you are the one that came into this thread and basically accused me of trying to pronounce PCVR as DOA (though you did mask it a litle bit, saying "Are we setting up posts trying to determine what's alive and what's dead here?"), even though there is nothing in the op that suggest I was doing anything of the sort.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Teeqoz said:

And it (BTW I presume you mean the PSVR) would have to have a 50% attach rate for you to consider it as having been adopted by gaming culture? We are talking about it having to sell like 60 million units (depending on what the PS4 does) which is a shittonne more than quite a few consoles that are beloved in gaming culture sold.

Noooo, all three of them having that attach rate with consoles. So Vive/Oculus/PSVR having about 50-60million for this generation, but again I am defining success as changing gaming to new standard, it totally does not need that to be actually successful, but I do not want something like Wii Mote/Move/Kinect, where it is wasted potiential. Honestly lets throw the total number aside, I just want it to not be this thing that is one off. 

Now that we can agree on!

Teeqoz said:

You are fully allowed to see what you want, and I don't doubt you have seen people proclaiming PCVR as DOA on either VGC, or elsewhere. I'm not trying to "dictate what you can and cannot see", but complaining about it in every single thread is tedious and unnecessary. As for me wanting to butt heads with you and constantly clash with you, I find that pretty ironic because you are the one that came into this thread and basically accused me of trying to pronounce PCVR as DOA (though you did mask it a litle bit, saying "Are we setting up posts trying to determine what's alive and what's dead here?"), even though there is nothing in the op that suggest I was doing anything of the sort.

I'm not complaining in every single thread though, I'm just playing to the tune of what makes some people happy on here, clearly my PC VR threads of two games are doing extremely well compared to the list of PSVR games, totally, go check them out for yourself to see the lively discussion, the results speak for themselves just like numbers do for us. I'm not exactly ready to dive into VR for a few years but it hasn't stopped me from making two threads to cover two different games, I haven't complained in those.

I came here to point out how guessing estimated numbers isn't really a good idea because it all ever seems to do is have those people who guessed said numbers to come back later on down the line and go "I'm right, you're wrong", rather than nodding at the numbers and calling it a day. Also you replied to me on another thread just after you replied to me in this one, I feel you went out of your way with the other one like you had on this one and the last few times you and me have talked, ever since that day where we clashed. No need to put words into my mouth though, I never directly stated that you said PCVR was DOA, that's you saying that instead of me, I was talking about posts being set up for the future and how it's not really a good idea to do as such, I'm not like you like I said before, I'd rather wait for the numbers than guess them and use them as a means of saying if something has been doomed or is successful, it's like setting your own personal bar that can easily just be as high or as low as you set it. If you want to go on some counter aggressive stance to "shout" me off the thread then by all means go for it, it'll just prove my earlier point about you just not liking me in general, something which you neglected to answer (not like it matters now anyway).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Honestly when I see that people pre order a product now and still have to wait months to get it because of the waiting list and a large number of people pre ordering one I think you can call them atleast a bit succesfull already, but that is only step one, step 2 is will the sales still be strong after they can produce enough to have them in shops...

Chazore said:
Teeqoz said:

I'm not complaining in every single thread though, I'm just playing to the tune of what makes some people happy on here, clearly my PC VR threads of two games are doing extremely well compared to the list of PSVR games, totally, go check them out for yourself to see the lively discussion, the results speak for themselves just like numbers do for us. I'm not exactly ready to dive into VR for a few years but it hasn't stopped me from making two threads to cover two different games, I haven't complained in those.

I came here to point out how guessing estimated numbers isn't really a good idea because it all ever seems to do is have those people who guessed said numbers to come back later on down the line and go "I'm right, you're wrong", rather than nodding at the numbers and calling it a day. Also you replied to me on another thread just after you replied to me in this one, I feel you went out of your way with the other one like you had on this one and the last few times you and me have talked, ever since that day where we clashed. No need to put words into my mouth though, I never directly stated that you said PCVR was DOA, that's you saying that instead of me, I was talking about posts being set up for the future and how it's not really a good idea to do as such, I'm not like you like I said before, I'd rather wait for the numbers than guess them and use them as a means of saying if something has been doomed or is successful, it's like setting your own personal bar that can easily just be as high or as low as you set it. If you want to go on some counter aggressive stance to "shout" me off the thread then by all means go for it, it'll just prove my earlier point about you just not liking me in general, something which you neglected to answer (not like it matters now anyway).

If you came here to point out how guessing estimated numbers is a bad idea, you might have misunderstood the title, as it doesn't say anything along the lines of "How much do you think ____ will sell?". It's not for predictions. It's not about what people think the HMDs *will* sell.

It's all nice and dandy that you haven't complained about it in your threads about PCVR, but you have done it in quite a few other threads, and I do think you are aware of that.

No, you didn't directly state that but you were certainly implying it. Even now, in this post you say "I'm not like you like I said before, I'd rather wait for the numbers than guess them and use them as a means of saying something has been doomed or is successful".

Now, first of all, I am also not trying to guess numbers here, so that makes two of us. Love how you imply that I am trying to guess numbers though, by saying "I'm not like you, I'd rather wait for the numbers".

Second of all, I am also not trying to claim anything as doomed or successful here. Again, low how you imply that I am! What I did here was say that if PSVR/Oculus manages to sell 5 million within this gen (I don't think VR will catch on quickly), I'd consider the headsets a success.

But yeah, you never directly said I was trying to claim PCVR as DOA, you were just implying it (and you still are, judging by your post). Good night!

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

If you came here to point out how guessing estimated numbers is a bad idea, you might have misunderstood the title, as it doesn't say anything along the lines of "How much do you think ____ will sell?". It's not for predictions. It's not about what people think the HMDs *will* sell.

It's all nice and dandy that you haven't complained about it in your threads about PCVR, but you have done it in quite a few other threads, and I do think you are aware of that.

No, you didn't directly state that but you were certainly implying it. Even now, in this post you say "I'm not like you like I said before, I'd rather wait for the numbers than guess them and use them as a means of saying something has been doomed or is successful".

Now, first of all, I am also not trying to guess numbers here, so that makes two of us. Love how you imply that I am trying to guess numbers though, by saying "I'm not like you, I'd rather wait for the numbers".

Second of all, I am also not trying to claim anything as doomed or successful here. Again, low how you imply that I am! What I did here was say that if PSVR/Oculus manages to sell 5 million within this gen (I don't think VR will catch on quickly), I'd consider the headsets a success.

But yeah, you never directly said I was trying to claim PCVR as DOA, you were just implying it (and you still are, judging by your post). Good night!

How much do you think it will sell is still asking for a prediction of what you think it *could* sell.

Am I not allowed to complain at all now or only when you allow me to, is that how it is supposed to play out on this site for some folk, only when they allow for it?.

Is it also okay to claim I imply but never for yourself?, especially with being aware and all.

Love how you imply your own implications of me, it just proves that you're just never ever going to see my pov nor agree, just like in the past.

This whole reply of yours has basically been a long whiended "you implied", you do realise that?, still avoiding the "you don't like me" part, I guess I'm right to think on that as a reason to why you wish to butt heads with me, second time in a row you've completely avoided that part. You also say Good night but I can tell you now that you will reply again some hours later to continue the implications. 

Besides selling more than 5m should be considered successfull, unelss you want to compare it to mobile adoption numbers or think like SE.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

100 million each

Chazore said:
Teeqoz said:

How much do you think it will sell is still asking for a prediction of what you think it *could* sell.

Am I not allowed to complain at all now or only when you allow me to, is that how it is supposed to play out on this site for some folk, only when they allow for it?.

Is it also okay to claim I imply but never for yourself?, especially with being aware and all.

Love how you imply your own implications of me, it just proves that you're just never ever going to see my pov nor agree, just like in the past.

This whole reply of yours has basically been a long whiended "you implied", you do realise that?, still avoiding the "you don't like me" part, I guess I'm right to think on that as a reason to why you wish to butt heads with me, second time in a row you've completely avoided that part.

I don't like you because we butt heads all the time, not the other way around. So no, I don't wish to butt heads with you. I avoided that part because I consider wether you like someone or not to be pretty irrelevant in any discussion, it only makes stuff get personal, which is never a good thing. But if you really want me to say it, no, I don't like you, you don't like me either. There.

"How much do you think it will sell is still asking for a prediction"

Again, I'm not asking anyone how much they think it will sell, so I don't get why you keep bringing it up.

"Am I not allowed to complain at all now or only when you allow me to, is that how it is supposed to play out on this site for some folk, only when they allow for it?."

You are *allowed* to complain as much as you want, but I should also be allowed to point out that it's getting tedious seeing you write the same things in a lot of different threads. It reminds me a bit about a user that I shall not name that constantly makes threads about PS4 JRPGs and how great they are. He is allowed to, but it becomes pretty annoying after a while.

It may just be that I am sleepy, but I didn't understand what you meant by that.

Same goes for you too

Good night for real. (Like seriously, it's 2:44 AM, I need to sleep)

Azelover said:
100 million each

huehuehue