By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XV Platinum Demo now live!

Hiku said:
VXIII said:

Edit: reading the comments here. I really encourage you guys to summon the final boss for a second time. Don't step on the ending plate. Continue forward. That will unlock new aspects of the combat (warping, time-based parrying, Noctis special skill). And the boss will be on a higher level. It is the only challenging and balanced fight in the demo that requires skill. All of the other enemies are simply a showcase. They almost do nothing.

I did that during my first playthrough because I like to explore. But I didn't notice what new aspects of the boss fight it unlocked?

I killed the Iron Giant too fast for the first time, so the abilities wasn't unlocked for me untill the second fight.

I was talking about Noctis special skill which requires mana. The ability to warp to certain points and unlock the two secrets weapons. The Hero's shield in particular is special because it replaces the dodging with a normal blocking animation. Many will find that more convenient.

Around the Network

I wasn't particularly impressed by the demo. The visuals were nice at times, the music was good and it had some charm, but aside from that, I really didn't have much fun.

The combat wasn't all that engaging or interesting, neither were the enemies. It was also very short and didn't have much to it aside from 'fight a couple enemies, warp to the next area, rinse and repeat' until you fight the boss at the end (which felt like the only part of the demo that would actually be like the final game somewhat). I dunno, kinda weird if you ask me.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I noticed the framerate drops in the very first area. I would think they'd want to at least polish the demo before releasing it. Not a great sign.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Well... that demo was a disappointment.

The event got me excited for the game, but the demo had the opposite effect. :/

It was disappointing, to be honest. I guess I kinda expected something in the vein of Episode Duscae but with child Noctis. Platinum Demo felt more like going on a developer debug stage and testing the engine doing some weird things.

As for things I noticed:

- Didn't really see any noticeable framerrate drop. Tried forcing some problems (like spamming "Meteore" combined with "Rain"), but the game overall stood its ground.

- Rain effects are very nice. I was kinda amazed at the fact that places with ceiling don't get wet, but on the outside there's a dynamic pool of water trying to get in. I dunno if what I said makes sense, just go try it on the game.

- Combat is WAY TOO SIMPLE and very easy. I hope that this isn't the final version (Although the weapon wheel is a nice, welcomed addition, so keep that). I liked it in Episode Duscae. I don't even get why swap Square for Circle when attacking. I guess this wasn't meant to be a combat demo, because Noctis is invincible, but still... :/

- The camera goes bananas if those lego/children pieces start falling on Noctis when pushed. No, seriously, the camera went batshit insane when those pieces felt on Noctis. I couldn't even control it. I didn't even know what was going on until they stopped.

- Light effects are extremely good, although there are noticeable problems when looking at objects from a distance.

- I dig Noctis' Sasuke hair. In fact, I think I dig Noctis in general.

- The child hammer is absurdily cute.

- The platforming thingy is stiff as heck, but oddly interesting. I wonder if they'll add things like those in the final game. As a side note, Noctis being able to grab ledges would be a nice addition, but maybe too problematic at this rate.

Damn, impressions for this demo have been poor. Very worrying this close to release, this demo looks like a big misstep on SE's part.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Well, I never played KH (too much Disney for me) so I wouldn't know about any of that stuff

eh, it isn't going to stop me from getting the game, I've known for awhile I wouldn't like the combat in it. But the story is definitely looking good so that's what I'll be getting it for. Oh and Sean Bean FTW!

You should  play them, and when I say them, I mean 1 and 2... only ones that matter. KH games are great... plus Disney is cool... well Disney Disney... their Marvel and Star Wars departments have been lacking recently.

celador said:
Damn, impressions for this demo have been poor. Very worrying this close to release, this demo looks like a big misstep on SE's part.

Starting it with running and jumping collecting icons didn't help, I thought this was a FF game, not a platformer. But once it got into the combat and explortation it felt better. I said in my original post it has potential but that's a real big issue for me in a way, an FF game shouldnt have potential, it should already be there.

Hmm, pie.

Loved it!

A very short demo :/

At first I didn't enjoy the demo so much, but once I came back exploring it slowly it started to grow on me. Now I keep re-fighting the last boss while exploring new opportunities... it's so much fun. I'm really hyped for XV... will certainly buy it on launch.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Still not convinced. I'm not sure if it's because SE choose wrong the demo or what. But it makes the combat system looks bad and awfully boring. It excels graphically, and it's certainly ambitious, but the combat system for me is the core of any game, so...