By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XV Platinum Demo now live!

SO apparently there are 2 secret weapons which adds more to the gameplay! The Hero's shield and the shuriken. The shield can be used WITH a sword and let's you defend and counter the Iron Giant's attack while the Shuriken is useful for long range aerial attacks. 

Around the Network
Airaku said:
StokedUp said:

Is this demo representative of the main game though? I havnt played it yet but it's downloaded.

i do hope the game won't be as you say though and you simply don't really have to do anything in battle.

If the ending is any indication... I would say yes it is. Combat gameplay and control inputs rarely change from their demo state.

Sunstrider said:

This is a standalone demo not related to the main game, and its purpose is to showcase the gameplay and graphics/artstyle of the final build 😊.

Edit: Though I hope that auto movement is just an option.

Are you sure? The game at the end said that the story will continue you in the full game. So that's a little hard to believe. Also.... yeah... the gameplay is what I'm bitching about.

The Platinum demo has zero story element and does not contain anything that will be included in the story of the final game. It's meant only as a tech demo of some sort and a way to obtain Carbuncle. 

Also the battle system for FFXV already changed twice and both versions were playable. From the first demo to the Duscae ver 2 and now to this Platinum demo.

Airaku said:
StokedUp said:

Sunstrider said:

This is a standalone demo not related to the main game, and its purpose is to showcase the gameplay and graphics/artstyle of the final build 😊.

Edit: Though I hope that auto movement is just an option.

Are you sure? The game at the end said that the story will continue you in the full game. So that's a little hard to believe. Also.... yeah... the gameplay is what I'm bitching about.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the demo's story is not part of the main game, it's just a techdemo as some had already mentioned above. I think the message at the end was about carbuncle being unlocked to go with you in the main game or about noctis who's being controlled by you as a grown man or both, I'm just guessing here though hehe. You can try to read some articles on the net if your're still not sure.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Kowan said:

SO apparently there are 2 secret weapons which adds more to the gameplay! The Hero's shield and the shuriken. The shield can be used WITH a sword and let's you defend and counter the Iron Giant's attack while the Shuriken is useful for long range aerial attacks. 

I can't seem to get the video working, how/where is the shield and shuriken unlocked? I only managed to get the stronger versions of the sword and hammer.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Kowan said:

The Platinum demo has zero story element and does not contain anything that will be included in the story of the final game. It's meant only as a tech demo of some sort and a way to obtain Carbuncle. 

Also the battle system for FFXV already changed twice and both versions were playable. From the first demo to the Duscae ver 2 and now to this Platinum demo.

Have you played the other demo? How was the combat in that version? This simplistic, hold O combat was BS. A toddler should have no problem beating this game :/

(Yes I am ranting, and yes I am a little bitter toward the game atm)

Around the Network
Sunstrider said:
Kowan said:

I can't seem to get the video working, how/where is the shield and shuriken unlocked? I only managed to get the stronger versions of the sword and hammer.

https://youtu.be/94Xd45LPlOI 

Try that.

You need to collect at least 100 crystals then fight the iron giant twice but don't defeat him immediately the second time and wait for carbuncle to grant you the ability to warp. Once you get toa warp, warp to the highest point(in the middle) of the big building then let go and you will fall down to two more button thinggies which will get you those two weapons.

Airaku said:
Kowan said:

Have you played the other demo? How was the combat in that version? This simplistic, hold O combat was BS. A toddler should have no problem beating this game :/

(Yes I am ranting, and yes I am a little bitter toward the game atm)

Yes I played both versions and this demo offers very little of the overall gameplay mechanic. It merely gives you a glimpse of the revised controls and layout and previews of the cool new weapons.

Duscae and Duscae 2 still has the hold O for continuous combo but you would die if you merely do just that on all enemies. You need to evade, counter, use items, heal/revive party members, plan the right special skill(weapons have specific special attacks) to execute, and watch out for prompts(party attacks, parries). Even in the platinum demo you would most likely fail if you just hold one button in the second fight against the iron giant. The first fight is childs play as well as all the enemies prior to the IG fight. You can clearly see the level of the giant the first time(level 3) but the second time you fight it it will be at level 15 and your attacks aren't gonna do anything if you don't think of something else.

My thoughts, it's pretty, not that that would affect gameplay which is what I'm most concerned about in this game.

I'd actually, based on the style, prefer more of a KH feel, not just press circle while you wail on the enemy. I presume you are meant to swtich between weapons mid flight but it didn't seem right with the options on offer. Yet I see potential.

I had no idea what I was doing the last fight, I pressed dodge and it didn't dodge squat, felt broken and stiff. Then there was that weird Carbuncle ultimate thing, no idea what was going on, suddenly could press triangle to teleport around, didn't seem to matter much, just held circle til win.

I see potential, still not the FF game I want (see 4-9 gameplay for that).

Hmm, pie.

You have no HP throughout the demo except for the last fight btw. Clearly it is meant only to show how things work, the bare concept. The enemies are at level 1 as well. I have no idea why people are judging the difficulty and balance based on this tech demo.

Edit: I do think the updated combat can be overwhelming. The demo doesn't explain how it even works. So I understand the frustration. I think this demo was a bad idea. Or badly executed at least.

Ka-pi96 said:
Finally got round to playing it. Can't remember what the combat was like in Duscae, only that I didn't like it, but this... wow, just wow. Hold O to win? Pathetic. I don't particularly like action rpgs anyway but usually they have something more than 1 button controls. This is like the mode you'd put it on for your little kid to play, not what you'd actually play yourself.

Let's hope the main game is more filled out. Remember in KH, it basically button mash X until the enemy is dead until boss fights, yet KH controls are very fluid, while smashing X, you can be pressing up arrow to ready heal or lightning, and select it mid combat BUT at the start with very few options or skills you only really attack with the keyblade.

Hmm, pie.