By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be the size of the NX inner memory (storage capacity)?

What will be the size of the NX inner memory?

64-128 Gb. Home console. 64 24.24%

500 Gb. Home console. 85 32.20%

1T. Home console. 67 25.38%

2T. Home console. 12 4.55%

Infinite memory. 36 13.64%

Total:264
Iyasu said:

I'd say it's pretty safe to bet that the next console will support external harddrives again, they have they tech for it.
I just think having an extra hdd internally would be benificial, if you want to take your NX with to a friends house you won't forget it, and if you don't like having to see the external hdd it's hidden. But they'd have to have the space inside the console for it, so the extra internal hdd is rather unlikely (sadly).

I don't like the concept for the PS4 that much, because you can't just add space without losing 500GB (or 1TB depending on your model), eventhough I like that you don't see a hdd hanging out beside the console.

In a perfect world, they'd be accomedating like that. I don't know how much value they have in all that though. I wouldn't be suprised if they only allowed you to replace your HDD like with PS4 (on top of the prior external option).

Around the Network
spemanig said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

So the one company that lags behind in tech for at least two gens is going to be the first company to push an all digital console? lol

*Popularized mainstream touch screen use*

*popularized motion gaming*

*used extremely proficient 100% lag-free companion streaming tech with the gamepad*

*ushered in glasses-free 3D*

*lags behind in tech anyway*

Yeah let's pretend Nintendo hasn't achieved anything technically in the past 10 years because you personally didn't like it. They are definitely going to do an all digital console. And it's going to me a massive, industry shaking success.

More like they're NOT going to release an all digital console and you're going to have to come up with a massive, forum shaking essay on just how utterly wrong you were lol.

I honestly can't believe you're publiclly setting yourself up for such embarassment. You seem much more intelligent than that.

spemanig said:
Chrizum said:
Nintendo has never really valued storage capacity. They'll probably have two models: a basic model with 16GB and a premium model with 64GB. It will be compatible with HDD's of course for more storage.

They've never had to. Now they have to.

Why?

Iyasu said:
Chrizum said:
Nintendo has never really valued storage capacity. They'll probably have two models: a basic model with 16GB and a premium model with 64GB. It will be compatible with HDD's of course for more storage.

I wouldn't necessarily agree to that. They value storage capacity, just not as highly as other things.

N64 they valued higher piracy protection + control over the media + loading times (cartridges) over storage space (CD)
GCN they valued higher piracy protection (proprietrary mini DVD)  over storage space + paying licensing fees (DVD)
Wii they valued higher piracy protection (proprietrary DVD) over storage space + paying Sony licensing fees (BluRay)
Wii U they valued higher piracy protection (proprietrary BluRay) over storage space + paying Sony licensing fees (BluRay)

So Nintendo so far tries to limit the costs for making games, by generating more sales through less piracy or saving the money for licensing fees.

HDDs weren't much of an issue previous to the Wii U for Nintendo.

Specifically concerning the Wii U:
Nintendo said that one of the design philosophies for the Wii U was to make a system that consumed little energy, so that mothers could be happier. 
Putting that into perspective, it made sense to use flash storage over a physical hdd. Flash storage consumes less watts, is smaller and produces less heat. Yet due to how expensive flash storage was/is I guess they could only afford a small drive (8GB and 32GB). 

After the Wii U Nintendo should have learned some lessons concerning the internal storage.
-consumers complained about the limited storage
-consumers bought the version with more storage
-3rd parties should have told them that they need more space by now

If Nintendo uses a SSD the space will be limited again, but they should be able to afford 128GB or 256 GB. I also highly doubt they will continue the two model strategy, because the basic pack Wii U didn't sell. But since 500 GB and 1TB HDDs are so cheap in comparison they should prefer those, except if they need the benefits of an SSD for the OS/console design.

Seems we agree with eachother, Nintendo values other stuff more than storage capacity. But I doubt that they learned any lessons, Nintendo does things their own way and they are much too stubborn to listen to any criticism.

SpokenTruth said:
Chrizum said:

Bare minimum sounds exactly like Nintendo's hardware philosophy. The Wii U had an 8GB model. Nintendo will never overdo something when it comes to hardware specifications. I guess I can see them do a 32GB basic model, but can't imagine them going any higher.

The 8 GB and 32 GB eMMC NAND chips used in the Wii U were upper-mid range in Samsung's capacity line up at the time Wii U was being designed.   8 GB is now their smallest capacity eMMC with 256 GB being the high end.   So for the same costs, they could use 64 GB to 128 GB.

Also, if they switch to Samsung's new V-NAND (which I suspect they are), capacity starts at 128 GB which is also preferable because the read speads go from 300 MB/s to 1500 MB/s (BGA format).  They are slightly bigger but use almost half as much energy (something Nintendo seems concerned with).  Price doesn't seem much different as SSD's using both technologies cost about the same.

The choice to go with Samsung flash memory speaks volumes. PS4 and Xbox One sport 500GB HDD's because Sony and Microsoft care more about storage (and thus, digital distribution) than reducing energy consumption etc.

Chrizum said:
spemanig said:

They've never had to. Now they have to.

Why?

Well, the size of the games keep geting bigger. it's been impressive they have managed to keep most of their games under 5Gb this gen, but if the bigger games plus the DLC and updates, there is a really big need for space.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Chrizum said:

Why?

Well, the size of the games keep geting bigger. it's been impressive they have managed to keep most of their games under 5Gb this gen, but if the bigger games plus the DLC and updates, there is a really big need for space.

But you have external HDD's for that. Also, 16 or 32GB is more than enough for storing one or two games on the internal memory.

Around the Network

It will likely have different tiers. More expensive models for people who don't know about external hard drives, and then cheaper models for those of us who do.

iI am shocked at the number of gamers who don't know about external harddrives, especially on this forum.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Chrizum said:

Why?

Digital only.

SpokenTruth said:

Consider that Nintendo had the first console that had day and date parity with all retail and digital games with the Wii U says otherwise.   Sony and MS didn't go day and date parity until after Nintendo bespite their consoles having massive hard drives.

However, I do agree that Nintendo puts far more emphasis on energy efficiency than MS or Sony but it's not related to their policy on digital distribution.

What to you mean by day and date parity?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

spemanig said:
Chrizum said:

Why?

Digital only.

I assume you're joking? Nothing Nintendo has done points in that direction. It obviously would be a catastrophic disaster.

Tried to count ALL games on the Wii U and came to a total file size a bit over 500GB.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7832756
So if NX ignores heavy graphics 3d party games and only goes for the (1st and 2nd party) home & handheld combined line up, 500GB would be enough.