By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:

Amount of time on the market has very little significance on whether or not the successor will succeed. Sega, Nintendo & Microsofts best selling hardware released after their hardware that was on the market the shortest amount of time.

Master System, Gameboy Advance, Xbox were all replaced in 4 years or less and succeeded by Genesis, DS, 360.

But that was catching lightning in a bottle, and I'm pretty sure that never happens to the same people twice.

Based on what? You cant just brush off 3 perfectly good examples as lightning in a bottle, all 3 of them got super lucky by doing the exact same thing? That makes no sense.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Aww man looks like NX is actually going to release this year... I was one of the few that was hoping it would release a year or so later. Hopefully they do incredibly well with the NX!

I guess I'll be buying another Wii U sooner than expected.

CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:

Based on what? You cant just brush off 3 perfectly good examples as lightning in a bottle, all 3 of them got super lucky by doing the exact same thing? That makes no sense.

The Xbox One isn't living up to the 360 (not quite at least), the Saturn dropped the ball from the Genesis, and you don't need me to explain the Wii to Wii U transition.

And what does that have to do with anything?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I don't know about everyone else but I've had more then my money's worth with wiiU. Probably a couple hundreds of hours of very fun gaming and a library of over 25 games.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Yeah they will not stop producing WiiU this year, even with the launch of the NX if that even happens. Zelda u is scheduled this year and there is no date yet so probably at the 3rd quarter, its impossible for them to do something that stupid.
Beside it would be the first time in console history that they stop producing a console at launch of the next one....

Around the Network
NavyNut said:
Yeah they will not stop producing WiiU this year, even with the launch of the NX if that even happens. Zelda u is scheduled this year and there is no date yet so probably at the 3rd quarter, its impossible for them to do something that stupid.
Beside it would be the first time in console history that they stop producing a console at launch of the next one....

Could make it more likely that people will buy an NX for Zelda if they cant get a WiiU though...

Nice, now we just wait for the NX to be shown at E3 (maybe sooner?) and release this year. 

edit: hopefully

KLXVER said:
NavyNut said:

Could make it more likely that people will buy an NX for Zelda if they cant get a WiiU though...

lol, ok so release one of your top title and discontinue the console it was suppose to run on, this thread doesn't make any sense.

NavyNut said:
KLXVER said:

lol, ok so release one of your top title and discontinue the console it was suppose to run on, this thread doesn't make any sense.

It makes more sense to support the new console than to support the one that is already a failure

NavyNut said:
KLXVER said:

It does make sense. The people who already owns a WiiU can buy the game and newcomers must buy a NX...