By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:

Based on what? You cant just brush off 3 perfectly good examples as lightning in a bottle, all 3 of them got super lucky by doing the exact same thing? That makes no sense.

The Xbox One isn't living up to the 360 (not quite at least), the Saturn dropped the ball from the Genesis, and you don't need me to explain the Wii to Wii U transition.

Ummmmm... and the XBox 360 had an 8 year lifespan, the Genesis had a 7 year lifespan, and the Wii had a 6 year lifespan.  If anything, you're showing that it's better to have a shorter lifespan...

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
NavyNut said:

lol, ok so release one of your top title and discontinue the console it was suppose to run on, this thread doesn't make any sense.

It makes more sense to support the new console than to support the one that is already a failure

You know what it just doesn't make any sense but I believe Nintendo lost its sense anyways as I just checked and the WiiU is 330$ here, that's 20$ less than what I paid for my xbone, hell with the extra game and the 50$ store card the xbone was actually cheaper so yeah Nintendo doesn't make any sense anymore to me. They should have cut the price of the WiiU a while ago.

Still I love the WiiU and its maybe my favorite console of all time but I paid 250$ for a new unit that a guy won, still sealed, at that price its a great system.

NavyNut said:
Yeah they will not stop producing WiiU this year, even with the launch of the NX if that even happens. Zelda u is scheduled this year and there is no date yet so probably at the 3rd quarter, its impossible for them to do something that stupid.
Beside it would be the first time in console history that they stop producing a console at launch of the next one....

Huh?  It makes perfect sense.  Nintendo has little interest in selling Wii U's anymore.  They're not producing more software, which means they're not going to make much money off the Wii U's they'd sell.  They'd much rather sell you an NX, because they'll be releasing more new releases on it, and have a chance of establishing a much better userbase.

Assuming they're releasing Zelda on NX, it makes far more sense to encourage non-Wii U owning Zelda fans to spring for the NX. 

If they are not making Zelda for NX though, then I might agree it's stupid.

NavyNut said:
zorg1000 said:

It makes more sense to support the new console than to support the one that is already a failure

You know what it just doesn't make any sense but I believe Nintendo lost its sense anyways as I just checked and the WiiU is 330$ here, that's 20$ less than what I paid for my xbone, hell with the extra game and the 50$ store card the xbone was actually cheaper so yeah Nintendo doesn't make any sense anymore to me. They should have cut the price of the WiiU a while ago.

Still I love the WiiU and its maybe my favorite console of all time but I paid 250$ for a new unit that a guy won, still sealed, at that price its a great system.

They actually make perfect sense. Maybe not in the traditional way other console makers are doing it, but they are making money on each WiiU sold. Why lower the price and lose more money?

KLXVER said:
NavyNut said:

They actually make perfect sense. Maybe not in the traditional way other console makers are doing it, but they are making money on each WiiU sold. Why lower the price and lose more money?

If you don't see your system having a bright future, it makes sense to ensure as much money as possible at the initial point of sale.  After the first couple of years, building an install base was a secondary priority for Nintendo.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
NavyNut said:
Yeah they will not stop producing WiiU this year, even with the launch of the NX if that even happens. Zelda u is scheduled this year and there is no date yet so probably at the 3rd quarter, its impossible for them to do something that stupid.
Beside it would be the first time in console history that they stop producing a console at launch of the next one....

Huh?  It makes perfect sense.  Nintendo has little interest in selling Wii U's anymore.  They're not producing more software, which means they're not going to make much money off the Wii U's they'd sell.  They'd much rather sell you an NX, because they'll be releasing more new releases on it, and have a chance of establishing a much better userbase.

Assuming they're releasing Zelda on NX, it makes far more sense to encourage non-Wii U owning Zelda fans to spring for the NX. 

If they are not making Zelda for NX though, then I might agree it's stupid.

Ok, so your telling me there won't be a Zelda U bundle, why the hell would they call it Zelda U anyways, just call it Zelda X or something else. It would be very bad marketing I believe for them to do something like that but anyways they failed on the WiiU because the damn thing should not be that expensive. This will be the first ever console that would never have got a price cut I believe......

RexSad said:
Not surprised as it was a failure from launch as I predicted. I don't see how anyone can anticipate their next console or have faith in Nintendo again.

Did you have faith after the Vita came out? 

JWeinCom said:
KLXVER said:

If you don't see your system having a bright future, it makes sense to ensure as much money as possible at the initial point of sale.  After the first couple of years, building an install base was a secondary priority for Nintendo.

Yeah, after 2014 they must have known that the console just cant be successful.

noname2200 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
WHAAAAAT THEEEE FUUUUUUUCK!? :O

Usually you keep selling the previous console for a year or two after next gen comes out before discontinuing it.

Usually there's demand though.

Yea but theres games, EXCLUSIVE games still coming out up until later this year. What are they going to do, axe it as soon as the last game comes out?...

KLXVER said:

They are going to make a new Mario Kart to sell the NX, not keep pushing MK8 on the NX.

Not near launch they aren't. They'll use other games to sell sell NX and then in two or three years release the last new Mario Kart platform. The NX doesn't need Mario Kart at launch or in the first year to succeed. The Wii U needed it because it had nothing else. The NX will not have nothing else. Next year is too soon for a new Mario Kart, so a new Mario Kart the NX will not get.