By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Mystro-Sama said:
noname2200 said:

Usually there's demand though.

Yea but theres games, EXCLUSIVE games still coming out up until later this year. What are they going to do, axe it as soon as the last game comes out?...

What Paper Mario? Not sure thats going to set the WiiU sales on fire tbh...

Around the Network
NavyNut said:
JWeinCom said:

Huh?  It makes perfect sense.  Nintendo has little interest in selling Wii U's anymore.  They're not producing more software, which means they're not going to make much money off the Wii U's they'd sell.  They'd much rather sell you an NX, because they'll be releasing more new releases on it, and have a chance of establishing a much better userbase.

Assuming they're releasing Zelda on NX, it makes far more sense to encourage non-Wii U owning Zelda fans to spring for the NX. 

If they are not making Zelda for NX though, then I might agree it's stupid.

Ok, so your telling me there won't be a Zelda U bundle, why the hell would they call it Zelda U anyways, just call it Zelda X or something else. It would be very bad marketing I believe for them to do something like that but anyways they failed on the WiiU because the damn thing should not be that expensive. This will be the first ever console that would never have got a price cut I believe......

Ummmmm... I don't think Nintendo has ever referred to it as Zelda U.  That's just a title the internet gave it.  They have referred to it as The Legendd of Zelda. 

And there probably won't be a Wii U/Zelda bundle... just like there wasn't a Twilight Princess bundle with Gamecube, or a Skyward Sword Bundle with Wii.  Dunno why you'd expect this.

The Wii U did get a pricecut.  The deluxe model is down from its starting 350 to 300, and comes with an extra game.  The reason why the don't cut the price down any further is because they need to make money.  If Nintendo does not see the Wii U having a bright future, there is no reason to cut hardware profits to build install base.

Nothing makes sense in this thread. Hell even Nintendo doesn't make any sense for asking such a high price for a system that has older tech than the other systems out there. I can understand before the new consoles came out but now......
I don't think Nintendo wants to succeed, its like they just quit.

spemanig said:
KLXVER said:

They are going to make a new Mario Kart to sell the NX, not keep pushing MK8 on the NX.

Not near launch they aren't. They'll use other games to sell sell NX and then in two or three years release the last new Mario Kart platform. The NX doesn't need Mario Kart at launch or in the first year to succeed. The Wii U needed it because it had nothing else. The NX will not have nothing else. Next year is too soon for a new Mario Kart, so a new Mario Kart the NX will not get.

What do you mean the WiiU had nothing else?

NavyNut said:
Nothing makes sense in this thread. Hell even Nintendo doesn't make any sense for asking such a high price for a system that has older tech than the other systems out there. I can understand before the new consoles came out but now......
I don't think Nintendo wants to succeed, its like they just quit.

Yes exactly.  They realized that they had a loser on their hand, and they got as much money as they could and quit.  Which is why the company stopped losing money.  If they kept throwing money at the Wii U, they'd still be in the red.

Mystro-Sama said:
noname2200 said:

Yea but theres games, EXCLUSIVE games still coming out up until later this year. What are they going to do, axe it as soon as the last game comes out?...

Sure, why not?  The exclusives aren't big sellers anyway, except for Zelda U which will almost assuredly be ported.  The games will sell to the 12-14 million Wii U owners.  The rest will be encouraged to buy an NX instead.  And if it is backwards compatible, all the better.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Farsala said:
Discontinuing a console so early does not exactly breathe confidence. Most successful consoles had predecessors that lasted for a long time as well. Exceptions being 360 and Wii.

Amount of time on the market has very little significance on whether or not the successor will succeed. Sega, Nintendo & Microsofts best selling hardware released after their hardware that was on the market the shortest amount of time.

Master System, Gameboy Advance, Xbox were all replaced in 4 years or less and succeeded by Genesis, DS, 360.

You are right.

But I meant after a failure of a console.

DS was after GBA which was a handheld that was selling very fast and extremely well. PS2 was after PS1 which was the #1 selling console. Master System at the time was pretty successful and that paved way for Genesis success. Again the only exceptions being 360 and Wii.

If the console was failing or had little support at the end of its gen then they in turn released a new console quickly, and then they tend to fail again. People underestimate the later years importance to keeping a brand strong.

Saturn,DC, Atari, Commodore, Mattel, Phillips, NEC, SNK, Bandai.

It is likely you and others will disagree, and I cannot see us convincing each other so this is likely my last post. Just wanted to put some food for thought out there.

I hope the NX bring a new gaming experience like the Wii brought us, because if its just a WiiU with better graphics and interface I'm afraid this won't be enough for Nintendo.
Anyways I'll probably still buy it if it got the same level of quality games as the WiiU got.

zorg1000 said:

No, media & advertisements told kids they were cool products then kids told their parents thats what they wanted.

What ur saying is nonsense and it has always been kids that told parents what they want, not the other way around.

It doesn't matter what media and advertisements tell kids because parents are the ones with the money and the fully developed brains. If you seriously think you had any real agency in the things your parents got for you growing up, you've been severely misled. If you wanted something and your parents got it for you, it was a happy accident.

Kids don't like Disney because they made an informed dicision about Disney's quality of animation and writing. Kids like Disney because Parents are told that Disney Channel is good safe television for children growing up so they make their kids watch Disney Channel and because Frozen is the first movie they've ever seen because parents were told that it was going to be a great movie to show their kids and Disney is a brand built with the ideals of teaching kids important life lessons about frendship and kindness and doing the right thing and facing adversery. Kids like Disney because they're impressionable and they will like anything their parents make them like and the same goes for everything else, including and especially video game consoles.

Kids don't choose their consoles. Parents make their kids think they chose their consoles. Because children are children and will like anything.

Mystro-Sama said:
noname2200 said:

Yeah, why not? I sincerely doubt Zelda is going to move millions of consoles at this point in the system's life, especially if it's not exclusive to the system. Pump out million or two, then use that supply to ride out the remaining demand.

NavyNut said:
I hope the NX bring a new gaming experience like the Wii brought us, because if its just a WiiU with better graphics and interface I'm afraid this won't be enough for Nintendo.                                   

Well Sony and MS has had success that way...