By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

Paatar said:
This would honestly make me not want to support Nintendo anymore.

That's what i will do. 

I was already disapointed with the Wiiu and 3ds, i won't get another nintendo system anymore, ESPECIALLY NOT BEFORE 3/4 YEARS !

I have all nintendo system, but i stop here, i had enough.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

No, media & advertisements told kids they were cool products then kids told their parents thats what they wanted.

What ur saying is nonsense and it has always been kids that told parents what they want, not the other way around.

It doesn't matter what media and advertisements tell kids because parents are the ones with the money and the fully developed brains. If you seriously think you had any real agency in the things your parents got for you growing up, you've been severely misled. If you wanted something and your parents got it for you, it was a happy accident.

Kids don't like Disney because they made an informed dicision about Disney's quality of animation and writing. Kids like Disney because Parents are told that Disney Channel is good safe television for children growing up so they make their kids watch Disney Channel and because Frozen is the first movie they've ever seen because parents were told that it was going to be a great movie to show their kids and Disney is a brand built with the ideals of teaching kids important life lessons about frendship and kindness and doing the right thing and facing adversery. Kids like Disney because they're impressionable and they will like anything their parents make them like and the same goes for everything else, including and especially video game consoles.

Kids don't choose their consoles. Parents make their kids think they chose their consoles. Because children are children and will like anything.

Ya thats totally how it works

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

tbone51 said:
RexSad said:
Not surprised as it was a failure from launch as I predicted. I don't see how anyone can anticipate their next console or have faith in Nintendo again.

Did you have faith after the Vita came out? 

For handheld? No. I don't even want a successor to the Vita, but the Vita is still being supported and has not been discontinued.

This is bad news, overall to the customer. If the Wii U didn't sell that well it will only mean that getting physical retail copies of games and accessories is going to be really hard. If you already own a Wii U, KEEP THAT GAMEPAD SAFE! Discontinuation means that getting replacement parts is way harder.

so, theyre producing lots of unities and keeping them on stocks, just for free the machines for start producing NX?
theyve had already produced lots of unities and stop producing while the stocks didnt get empty because of wring 9 million sales prediction. so, could they do it again?

Around the Network
dongo8 said:
Gamemaster87 said:
R.I.P. Nintendo
I'm now a PS4 only gamer.

Because they are bringing their new console out sooner? This makes no sense to me, it's going to be an upgrade. What if it winds up being something that is completely irresistable? I think you may be defecting too soon in the game haha

People have said the same thing since the N64 and each console since has not been irresistible with the Wii being only appealing to casuals outside of diehard Ninty fans. That is the main reason why the WiiU failed.People said the WiiU would be "irresistible" and they were wrong.

SJReiter said:
Ok, so here's the thing that I think some people are missing is all this.

Just because a product 'ceases production' at a certain point, it doesn't mean that all copies of that product immediately vanish from store shelves. I remember reading last year that one reason why Nintendo was so profitable in 2014 was because they didn't have to manufacture any Wii Us that year. Every Wii U sold was produced in 2013. This may not be 100% correct but I remember reading something along those lines.

This already happened in Japan.

Looks like Nintendo does not expect any hardware boost after Zelda U release. 

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

No, media & advertisements told kids they were cool products then kids told their parents thats what they wanted.

What ur saying is nonsense and it has always been kids that told parents what they want, not the other way around.

It doesn't matter what media and advertisements tell kids because parents are the ones with the money and the fully developed brains. If you seriously think you had any real agency in the things your parents got for you growing up, you've been severely misled. If you wanted something and your parents got it for you, it was a happy accident.

Kids don't like Disney because they made an informed dicision about Disney's quality of animation and writing. Kids like Disney because Parents are told that Disney Channel is good safe television for children growing up so they make their kids watch Disney Channel and because Frozen is the first movie they've ever seen because parents were told that it was going to be a great movie to show their kids and Disney is a brand built with the ideals of teaching kids important life lessons about frendship and kindness and doing the right thing and facing adversery. Kids like Disney because they're impressionable and they will like anything their parents make them like and the same goes for everything else, including and especially video game consoles.

Kids don't choose their consoles. Parents make their kids think they chose their consoles. Because children are children and will like anything.

There is an age where kids don't really care that much one way or another, they will play basically any system just because they purely love any kind of video game. 

The problem is single child households aren't always the norm. All it takes is that 8 year old having a angst-ey 12 year older brother ... and guess who gets to make the choice? 

8 year old will be happy with a Playstation too because it has LEGO Jurassic World and Disney Infinity on it. But 12 year old likely has a giant stick up his ass about playing "kids" games and needs desperately to have the new Grand Theft Auto to fit in with his peer group at school. 

So the parent is simply going to buy the one that makes both happy. 

I worked at Toys R' Us for several years, and even at Toys R' Us, where Nintendo consoles you would figure would surely dominate with kids ... it wasn't the case at all, we'd pretty always sell 3 or 4 Playstations/PS2s for every N64 or GameCube. That was an eye opener for me, if Nintendo can't even hold serve at 50-50 even in a place like Toys R' Us something was wrong at a more fundamental level. 

spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

MK8 released in May 2014, I am pretty sure Nintendo can prepare MK9 for end of 2017, 3.5 years after last one.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying they won't. It's too soon. For a lot of people, it'll be the second MK in 3 years. They can easily push it back and release something else instead. They can release Diddy Kong Racing Returns in May of next year, and not release another Mario Kart until the year after, or the year after that.

Same with Smash. The Smash that launches with NX could very well be the last Smash. Like ever. There's no need for another one. It's too complete. Smash 4 will be the NX Smash and Mario Kart 8 will be relevant on NX for years thanks to BC and the eshop giving it as much visability as they want. Smash may not get another entry ever again, being succeeded by Pokken and the eventual Nintendo vs. Capcom please don't debate this let me have this, and Mario Kart can be held over by a Diddy Kong Racing Returns until the last of that comes out and Nintendo turns it into an open platform to which new tracks and characters can be added indefinitely.

No way a new Mario Kart is coming next year, though. Too soon.

IMO Diddy Kong Racing 2 like launch or 1st year title would be great move, and then 1.5-2 years after they could release Mario Kart 9 too.

First we dont know if NX will have BC, second story about Smash Bros is very diffrent than Mario Kart story, we know Sakurai said he will take long break from Smash, I think thats one of main reasons about that rumour for Smas Bros 4 remaster for NX, because we want see new Smash Bros in near future, also Smash Bros 4 is relased 6 months after Mario Kart 8.

3.5 years after last MK for MK definitely isn't too soon and actually very possible.

KLXVER said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

The Witcher 3, The Division, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Project CARS, Hitman, Call of Duty BOII arent "360 games". And lets not forget that "360 games" struggled on the Wii U as well. This is the only gen where I have seen last gen games perform worse on current gane hardware, its a joke. Nintendo put 0 effort into accomodating outsiders, 0.

Thats the thing though. You blame the hardware for games performing worse. I blame lazy ports from publishers. The WiiU can run any 360 and PS3 game.

Are the games I mentioned on the 360? You may not have noticed but publishers have largely abandoned those systems.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine