By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best VR headset, after a week at GDC - Gizmag

Tagged games:

sabvre42 said:
MortienGerrux said:

You call me biased yet you are the one telling lies.

PCVR only requires 1 HDMI cable and 2 USB 3.0 cables. That's all. You don't need anything else to connect the device to a PC/laptop. 

PSVR requires a 300-350$ console just to see anything on the screen.

The HTC Vive is the most comfortable, because it has the best headtracking, which means less motion sickness.

MobileVR will run on any smartphone you want, you dont' need a 1440p or even 1080P smartphone. It won't train any battery because it's connected to your PC/laptop via MicroUsb. Also I don't understand how games like GTA 5, Fallout 4 or Dark Souls 3 isn't considered "actual effects"

Like with any PC game, you will need different hardware for different games. Here is the 400$ PC I posted earlier:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($172.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ Micro Center) 

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 500W ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $399.83

Do you really believe you can just plug PCVR into any machine and make it work? Have you even bothered to read either the OR / Vives MINIMUM specs?

You keep strawmanning this whole concept of PSVR being all demos, but yet you think the quality of games that PCVR can run on your build wouldn't be demos?

Also, you forgot the OS that you LEGALLY need; you picked a horrible CPU; you are light on RAM; and you probably would want a better case.

And again -- now you are referring to hooking your mobile fun up to a computer which requires an actual gaming PC to run it. So we just circled back to it NOT being that cheap; and NOT that accessible for the mainstream.

Yes. It's just a display ffs. Do you think if you plug it in a GTX 960 instead of GTX 970 you will get a black screen?

It's not mainstream?

Anyone can do the following

1) Buy VR plastic headset on Amazon (20$-100$)

2) Put your current smartphone in it.

3) Install TrinusVR on your current PC or laptop.

4) Connect your smartphone via Micro-USB

5) Profit. You have a ENTRY LEVEL VR HEADSET FOR JUST 20$

6) Optional: Install VorpX to make non-VR games like Fallout 4 into VR.

Around the Network

Vasto said:
Zoombael said:

You can lift up the headset and see whats going on in the real world. It's not super glued to your face, requiring a painful hour long procedure to remove it.

Yes, you can but by HTC / Valve intergrating this into their headset with the Wall Barriers set up to notify when you get too close shows that this issue was thought about just like I said it should be.

It is one of the reasons why Vive right now is considered the best fo the 3.

The reason why the Vive has the chaperone system - which doesn't let you know whats going on in the real world, it just warns you before you bumb into an obstacle - is because of the focus on roomscale VR. 

MortienGerrux said:

Especially a remark made in the second video is revealing (0:19). It's consistent with other statements, saying PSVR is clearly superior to the OR HD DevKit (DK2).

Does it run at 60hz, 90hz or 120hz on the PSVR?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=214991&page=10

Lol? Why should it matter? It obviously runs better than on a DK2. People weren't hasitent to report when VR gaming to them sick, but those rules all over sudden don't apply to PSVR and all the individuals who tried it and said it works perfectly are blatant liars? This is what you're basically saying.

MortienGerrux said:

sabvre42 said:

Dude... you are freaking rediculous. You are LITERALLY attacking PSVR but praising everything else... including Mobile VR (which is horse shit for gaming).

I'm not attacking lmao, I just said it's not worth the price for 10-20 demo's.

I'm not the one making clickbait articles like the whole internet does now saying PSVR will win because it's 100$ cheaper then Oculus Rift. Or lying that you need a 1000$ PC to play some basic looking VR games like No Man Sky.

And why is Mobile VR horseshit? When it's about 50x cheaper then the other options? 

You get what you pay for.

Not attacking? You're still making the same proven wrong assumptions despite your demonstrated lack of knowledge. You didn't even know that games with PSVR are running at 60/120 or nat90 or nat120 and claiming 60 reprojected to 120 and i quote:

MortienGerrux said:

1080P 60hz (reprojection with fake frames doesn't do much, look at TV's) on the PSVR for 499$

“Technically, what surprised me the most was the reprojection feature. It generates 120 frames per second, taking into account the movement of the head, even when the game fails to achieve 60 frames per second. Which means that there is no jittering at all. You can play Megaton Rainfall for 1 hour and won’t see any frame out of sync. I can’t say the same for the VR experiences on my PC. Megaton Rainfallwill work at 60 fps in PSVR (120 with reprojection).”

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/03/megaton-rainfall-dev-psvr-will-ship-millions/

It seems it does do much.

"I'm not the one making clickbait articles like the whole internet does now saying PSVR will win because it's 100$ cheaper then Oculus Rift."

A hundred bucks cheaper? So you get the OR Touch controllers for free? Interesting. 

And yea, you better get a 1000+PC because if you don't simulator/motion sickness is gonna getcha!

Hunting Season is done...

MortienGerrux said:

The HTC Vive is the most comfortable, because it has the best headtracking, which means less motion sickness.

MobileVR will run on any smartphone you want, you dont' need a 1440p or even 1080P smartphone. It won't drain any battery because it's connected to your PC/laptop via MicroUsb. You can even run it wirelessly via Wi-fi!

Also I don't understand how games like GTA 5, Fallout 4 or Dark Souls 3 isn't considered "actual effects"

Dude just stop yourself. You are moving the goal post from enjoying a VR experience to just being able to see anything on the screen.

Is it really that hard to understand that VR experiences doesn't include video games with a plug-in that can display the game in stereoscopic 3d?

And you moved the goal post from being Samsung gear VR to just being MobileVR which is even worse than PSVR. You are literally trying to shit on PSVR FOR NO REASON.

Lastly that CPU you picked is going to buckle under the pressure of running the complex physics simulations they use for VR + OS + The game engine with AI etc.

It is going to make you throw up big time before you get to do anything else in VR. Not only that the GPU is from a shit brand so the life expentency of your setup is EVEN LOWER. You won't be able to reach 90hz 1080p with that build. Especially not with new games and furthermore in VR.

Just stop yourself. You did everything you could to shit on PSVR. Please just stop.

Zoombael said:

Lol? Why should it matter? It obviously runs better than on a DK2. People weren't hasitent to report when VR gaming to them sick, but those rules all over sudden don't apply to PSVR and all the individuals who tried it and said it works perfectly are blatant liars? This is what you're basically saying.

“Technically, what surprised me the most was the reprojection feature. It generates 120 frames per second, taking into account the movement of the head, even when the game fails to achieve 60 frames per second. Which means that there is no jittering at all. You can play Megaton Rainfall for 1 hour and won’t see any frame out of sync. I can’t say the same for the VR experiences on my PC. Megaton Rainfallwill work at 60 fps in PSVR (120 with reprojection).”

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/03/megaton-rainfall-dev-psvr-will-ship-millions/

It seems it does do much.

"I'm not the one making clickbait articles like the whole internet does now saying PSVR will win because it's 100$ cheaper then Oculus Rift."

A hundred bucks cheaper? So you get the OR Touch controllers for free? Interesting. 

And yea, you better get a 1000+PC because if you don't simulator/motion sickness is gonna getcha!

Umm no, THAT 2 YEAR OLD VIDEO says PSVR > DK1

Well no shit, the DK1 was awful:

The resolution is 1280×800 (16:10 aspect ratio), which leads to an effective of 640×800 per eye (4:5 aspect ratio). However, since the Rift does not feature a 100% overlap between the eyes, the combined horizontal resolution is effectively greater than 640. The image for each eye is shown in the panel as a barrel distorted image that is then corrected by pincushion effect created by lenses in the headset, generating a spherical-mapped image for each eye.

Can you explain to me why you need a 1000$ PC to run Minecraft or Skyrim in VR? Can you explain how a 400$ PC that's more then 50% more powerfull then the PS4 will get you motion sickness?

Areaz32 said:
MortienGerrux said:

MobileVR will run on any smartphone you want, you dont' need a 1440p or even 1080P smartphone. It won't drain any battery because it's connected to your PC/laptop via MicroUsb. You can even run it wirelessly via Wi-fi!

Also I don't understand how games like GTA 5, Fallout 4 or Dark Souls 3 isn't considered "actual effects"

Dude just stop yourself. You are moving the goal post from enjoying a VR experience to just being able to see anything on the screen.

Is it really that hard to understand that VR experiences doesn't include video games with a plug-in that can display the game in stereoscopic 3d?

And you moved the goal post from being Samsung gear VR to just being MobileVR which is even worse than PSVR. You are literally trying to shit on PSVR FOR NO REASON.

Lastly that CPU you picked is going to buckle under the pressure of running the complex physics simulations they use for VR + OS + The game engine with AI etc.

It is going to make you throw up big time before you get to do anything else in VR. Not only that the GPU is from a shit brand so the life expentency of your setup is EVEN LOWER. You won't be able to reach 90hz 1080p with that build. Especially not with new games and furthermore in VR.

Just stop yourself. You did everything you could to shit on PSVR. Please just stop.

A R9 380 4GB will be able to run pretty much any VR game lol. The recommended GPU from Oculus is a R9 290 which is about the same power as the newer R9 380.

Also I never knew Skyrim or Fallout 4 had to do "complex physics simulations" 

Around the Network

It seems like Vive is the best option.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Input lag ... waggle ... ? Either he had a faulty experience or he's exaggerating. The MOVE was nearly 1:1 on the PS3 and is improved on the PS4. When you look at the PS4 screen while someone is playing, you are also looking at lag from the splitter box to the TV, and even then it's almost 1:1.

The PS5 Exists. 

MortienGerrux said:
Areaz32 said:

A R9 380 4GB will be able to run pretty much any VR game lol. The recommended GPU from Oculus is a R9 290 which is about the same power as the newer R9 380.

If you want to play Skyrim or Fallout 4 in VR then you are not doing it right. That rig you posted will not do 90hz with 100% consistent frametimes which is required for VR.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 are not games build for VR. Why would you even want that? You aren't even going to use the 3d motion controllers with those games.

Its like you are trying to shit on PSVR by making a BUNCH of assumptions about something you have no tried yet. 90hz in 3D is essential for PCVR.

This is why Oculus and HTC have shown their recommended specs for minimum performance.

How can you with a straight face say that 380 and 290 are about the same? You are either lying or blissfully ignorant because:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-380-vs-AMD-R9-290/3482vs2171

Here we have it 30 - 40% worse in most tests.

If you really want to compare PC parts to console parts then okay.

PS4 1.8tflops

380 3.4tflops

But we all know that consoles can get nearly twice as much out of the hardware compared to consoles as John Carmack said himself:

Please stop yourself. 

You are reaching so bad that you couldnt even make one of those large posts you usually do. My arguementation is sound.

Zoombael said:

Vasto said:

Yes, you can but by HTC / Valve intergrating this into their headset with the Wall Barriers set up to notify when you get too close shows that this issue was thought about just like I said it should be.

It is one of the reasons why Vive right now is considered the best fo the 3.

The reason why the Vive has the chaperone system - which doesn't let you know whats going on in the real world, it just warns you before you bumb into an obstacle - is because of the focus on roomscale VR. 

I did not say that the Chaperone system lets you know whats going on in the real world.

I said the Vive has a built in Camera so you can see the real world while having on the headset.

Areaz32 said:
MortienGerrux said:

If you want to play Skyrim or Fallout 4 in VR then you are not doing it right. That rig you posted will not do 90hz with 100% consistent frametimes which is required for VR.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 are not games build for VR. Why would you even want that? You aren't even going to use the 3d motion controllers with those games.

Its like you are trying to shit on PSVR by making a BUNCH of assumptions about something you have no tried yet. 90hz in 3D is essential for PCVR.

This is why Oculus and HTC have shown their recommended specs for minimum performance.

How can you with a straight face say that 380 and 290 are about the same? You are either lying or blissfully ignorant because:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-380-vs-AMD-R9-290/3482vs2171

Here we have it 30 - 40% worse in most tests.

If you really want to compare PC parts to console parts then okay.

PS4 1.8tflops

380 3.4tflops

But we all know that consoles can get nearly twice as much out of the hardware compared to consoles as John Carmack said himself:

Please stop yourself. 

You are reaching so bad that you couldnt even make one of those large posts you usually do. My arguementation is sound.

Look it's just *MY OPINION*

I would rather play Dark Souls 3 at 1440P 60FPS on my GearVR or any MobileVR then not be able to play it EVER on the PSVR which costs 20x then a decent plastic headset on Amazon.

Luckily I saved up money, and will buy the HTC Vive once it is available here in the Netherlands.

"But we all know that consoles can get nearly twice as much out of the hardware compared to consoles as John Carmack said himself:"

Now we know you are just a troll. Tell this to amount of broken ports on the PS4 in 2015. Games like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Just Cause 3 dropping to under 20FPS. Or when the GTX 750Ti a 80$ HTPC card outperforms it in every single game. Heck the PS4 performs worse then a HD 7870 on PC (the 4 year old graphics chip that the PS4 currently uses) 

R9 380 4GB:

GTX 750TI with I3 4130 "300-350$" budget build

User was moderated for this post ~ CGI-Quality