By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The best VR headset, after a week at GDC - Gizmag

Tagged games:

MortienGerrux said:

Umm no, THAT 2 YEAR OLD VIDEO says PSVR > DK1

Well no shit, the DK1 was awful:

The resolution is 1280×800 (16:10 aspect ratio), which leads to an effective of 640×800 per eye (4:5 aspect ratio). However, since the Rift does not feature a 100% overlap between the eyes, the combined horizontal resolution is effectively greater than 640. The image for each eye is shown in the panel as a barrel distorted image that is then corrected by pincushion effect created by lenses in the headset, generating a spherical-mapped image for each eye.

Can you explain to me why you need a 1000$ PC to run Minecraft or Skyrim in VR? Can you explain how a 400$ PC that's more then 50% more powerfull then the PS4 will get you motion sickness?

That's simple.

1. Hardware specific optimization.
2. Pixel through put. OR uses 2560x1200@90 fps rendering 276 million pixels/second.
PSVR 1920x1080@60 fps (reprojection to 120 costs very little) rendering 124 million pixels/second. 45% of OR minimum needs.
3. Minecraft is horribly optimized, it struggles maintaining a decent fps on ps4 (When I use to many pistons and too much redstone, stuff breaks)

While actually the PSVR has slightly better subpixel density being full RGB instead of pentile (pretty much identical though, 1.25% more subpixels in psvr)

50% more powerful is not enough, at least twice is needed and probably more to maintain a locked fps on various hardware setups. The big advantage of fixed hardware is getting the most out of that hardware, while programming for various GPUs requires a healthy overhead to prevent dips below 90fps. The last thing you want in VR is screen tearing or judder.

Around the Network
MortienGerrux said:

"But we all know that consoles can get nearly twice as much out of the hardware compared to consoles as John Carmack said himself:"

Now we know you are just a troll. Tell this to amount of broken ports on the PS4 in 2015. Games like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Just Cause 3 dropping to under 20FPS. Or when the GTX 750Ti a 80$ HTPC card outperforms it in every single game. Heck the PS4 performs worse then a HD 7870 on PC (the 4 year old graphics chip that the PS4 currently uses) 

R9 380 4GB:

GTX 750TI with I3 4130 "300-350$" budget build

And then you go on to showing us performance from multiplatform devs (small team aswell) showing how the performance is lower. Listen i am solely talking about the hardware here. If you want to show non-representative performance of the ps4 then be prepared to defend that statement.

There is a reason why Uncharted 4, Horizon and even Hellblade looks way better than The witcher 3. You are testing how the ps4 runs horrible software and and then saying it is representative. At least take the best of PS4 when you compare it to PC.

You are literally argueing AGAINST John Carmack. You know the guy who used the fast inverse square root calculation for video games.

The oculus Chief Technical Officer John Carmack.

If you honestly want to play Dark souls 3 at 60fps in VR then you will have a horrible time. The game is just not made for it and 60hz is horrible for VR. People are going to get SOOO sick playing that. I am not a troll. I am stating facts only.

MortienGerrux said:
Areaz32 said:

If you want to play Skyrim or Fallout 4 in VR then you are not doing it right. That rig you posted will not do 90hz with 100% consistent frametimes which is required for VR.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 are not games build for VR. Why would you even want that? You aren't even going to use the 3d motion controllers with those games.

Its like you are trying to shit on PSVR by making a BUNCH of assumptions about something you have no tried yet. 90hz in 3D is essential for PCVR.

This is why Oculus and HTC have shown their recommended specs for minimum performance.

How can you with a straight face say that 380 and 290 are about the same? You are either lying or blissfully ignorant because:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-380-vs-AMD-R9-290/3482vs2171

Here we have it 30 - 40% worse in most tests.

If you really want to compare PC parts to console parts then okay.

PS4 1.8tflops

380 3.4tflops

But we all know that consoles can get nearly twice as much out of the hardware compared to consoles as John Carmack said himself:

Please stop yourself. 

You are reaching so bad that you couldnt even make one of those large posts you usually do. My arguementation is sound.

Look it's just *MY OPINION*

A lame excuse and you have failed multiple times to back up your point, resorting to basically ad nauseaum fallacies. I noticed that whenever someone puts forth evidence that contradicts your claims, you never address the points and instead, switch to another topic.

Oh, and here's some more evidence that supports Areaz32's argument, though I won't expect you to actually address that either...

Aura7541 yeah that article does cooperate what i said. Not only that but Dr. Richard Marks said that it was an estimate from 3rd party devs. We all know first party devs get way more performance than 3rd party does.

shikamaru317 said:
Sounds like Sony really should have sprung for better motion controllers, even if it meant they needed to charge like $200 more for the full bundle.

There is a reason why Sony chose to use the move controllers again. The reason is that they are damn amazing. They are within milimeter accuracy. Just because someone tried a demo where the software was bad doesn't mean it has anything to do with the controllers.

The camera tracks the controllers at 2 times the refreshrate of the headset. ie. the camera goes at 240hz tracking on the controllers. So any disconnects between the controller and the game is 100% software based. It means the guys behind the software fucked up.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
* Thread warning * - I see plenty of posts in here that are hitting (or crossing) the line.... This will be the only reminder to ease up!

Yeah i felt it was getting a bit out of hand here. I have been looking around in these forums and i wasn't able to find any rules. I might just be really really blind but if it isn't too much to ask could you direct me to a rules section maybe? :D

MortienGerrux said:
Zoombael said:

Lol? Why should it matter? It obviously runs better than on a DK2. People weren't hasitent to report when VR gaming to them sick, but those rules all over sudden don't apply to PSVR and all the individuals who tried it and said it works perfectly are blatant liars? This is what you're basically saying.

“Technically, what surprised me the most was the reprojection feature. It generates 120 frames per second, taking into account the movement of the head, even when the game fails to achieve 60 frames per second. Which means that there is no jittering at all. You can play Megaton Rainfall for 1 hour and won’t see any frame out of sync. I can’t say the same for the VR experiences on my PC. Megaton Rainfallwill work at 60 fps in PSVR (120 with reprojection).”

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/03/megaton-rainfall-dev-psvr-will-ship-millions/

It seems it does do much.

"I'm not the one making clickbait articles like the whole internet does now saying PSVR will win because it's 100$ cheaper then Oculus Rift."

A hundred bucks cheaper? So you get the OR Touch controllers for free? Interesting. 

And yea, you better get a 1000+PC because if you don't simulator/motion sickness is gonna getcha!

Umm no, THAT 2 YEAR OLD VIDEO says PSVR > DK1

Well no shit, the DK1 was awful:

The resolution is 1280×800 (16:10 aspect ratio), which leads to an effective of 640×800 per eye (4:5 aspect ratio). However, since the Rift does not feature a 100% overlap between the eyes, the combined horizontal resolution is effectively greater than 640. The image for each eye is shown in the panel as a barrel distorted image that is then corrected by pincushion effect created by lenses in the headset, generating a spherical-mapped image for each eye.

Can you explain to me why you need a 1000$ PC to run Minecraft or Skyrim in VR? Can you explain how a 400$ PC that's more then 50% more powerfull then the PS4 will get you motion sickness?

It doesn't say anything like that.

You have no f* clue whatsoever.

THIS is the DK1

And THAT is a prototype HD DEVKIT

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/Oculus-VR-Rift-HD-1080p-Prototype-Headset-Impresses

The very same we see in this video...

https://youtu.be/kznm_qMR0-4

Mentioned by the same previewer in this video at 0:16...

https://youtu.be/z44mKwHav3w

"Can you explain to me why you need a 1000$ PC to run Minecraft or Skyrim in VR? Can you explain how a 400$ PC that's more then 50% more powerfull then the PS4 will get you motion sickness?"

There are a lot of things that need to be explained to you. But it doesn't seem your understanding is up to it.

Hunting Season is done...

God i feel stupid. Its right ontop of the page. Thanks anyway.

So I take it buying a premium device is always inferior to a cheap one?, man what was I thinking building my rig or spending money on expensive holidays all these years. That said I do expect price cuts in the future along with refinements.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

The PSVR will be the cheapest alternative, of course. It won't be as high-end as the PC alternatives.

But the unit is aesthetically miles better than all the other sets. The other ones looks so bland and rough in comparison. They don't look like they're in their consumer iteration version compared to it.

But the look is secondary to the experience, that's for sure. Let's just hope that even though it is cheaper, the experiences won't suffer too much in comparison to the PC sets.