By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you like the taste of alcohol?

Do you like the taste of alcohol?

Yes 48 31.79%

No 83 54.97%

Maybe 20 13.25%

Total:151
dongo8 said:
Nope. And not only that, I see no real appeal to it. It kills brain cells, slows reaction times, gets you into a state of mind where you really aren't in total control of what you're doing. PLUS it tastes disgusting, no thanks!

In moderate amounts it doesn't kill brain cells.

If you drink way too much over a long time it does wear down the dendrites in the brain making messaging between cells harder.

Also since it acts on GABA it's one of the most addictive drugs out there and has among the worst withdrawal symptoms of any drug.

It's also carcinogenic, so too much increases the risk of cancer.

Just wanted to get the facts out. Personally I drink, but only until the point where I start to feel good and my social inhibitions loosens up. Then I'm satisfied for most of the evening. Any more is just overkill, and I mostly drink for the taste anyway. One quality beer like a stout or IPA beats many cheap lagers any day.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
dongo8 said:
Nope. And not only that, I see no real appeal to it. It kills brain cells, slows reaction times, gets you into a state of mind where you really aren't in total control of what you're doing. PLUS it tastes disgusting, no thanks!

You dont drink it with the goal of getting drunk.

Thats some teen BS mentality you grow out of once your over 20years of age.

You do it because you enjoy the taste.

Also your constantly killing brain cells.

Turn your head, shake it, jump up and down (play basketball) and your brain is just slushing around in there, and brain cells are dieing as your playing basket ball. Take a smoke, probably kills brain cells too.

Doesnt mean its unhealthy to play basket ball.

That's a silly with the argument regardless, though. Of course Alcohol is bad for you. Not comparable to Basketball whatsovever, especially with all the calories Beer packs in. 

It ain't gonna stop no one from drinking it, that's for sure. :P 

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

c03n3nj0 said:
KungKras said:

If you want badass, you need to try bäsk! (Or malort as it's called in the US)
Now that's an aquired taste if I've ever seen one :)

I've definitely have had absinthe in Prague, which I think is similar. All I can say is oh boy hahaha. 

For a night of unrelentless and un-rememberable fun, I'd recommend a shot of Tequila with absinthe mixed in. After a few shots of this It hits you faster than you hit the floor afterward. 

Absinthe and tequila is fun too :)

I think absinthe has wormwood in it like bäsk, so it probably tastes quite similar. The thing about bäsk though is that it's probably the most bitter thing in the universe. Even the name "bäsk" means bitter in swedish. It's one of those spirits that really takes a special kind of person to really enjoy them.

I LOVE ICELAND!

c03n3nj0 said:
JRPGfan said:

You dont drink it with the goal of getting drunk.

Thats some teen BS mentality you grow out of once your over 20years of age.

You do it because you enjoy the taste.

Also your constantly killing brain cells.

Turn your head, shake it, jump up and down (play basketball) and your brain is just slushing around in there, and brain cells are dieing as your playing basket ball. Take a smoke, probably kills brain cells too.

Doesnt mean its unhealthy to play basket ball.

That's a silly with the argument regardless, though. Of course Alcohol is bad for you. Not comparable to Basketball whatsovever, especially with all the calories Beer packs in. 

It ain't gonna stop no one from drinking it, that's for sure. :P 

http://www.medicaldaily.com/7-health-benefits-drinking-alcohol-247552

Americans have a twisted sense of how bad certain things are.

Theres a differnce between takeing 1 glass of wine, once a month, to going out at night clubbing and getting smash drunk (many bottles of things).

There are actually small health benefits in some cases. It depends on how much you drink.

But then again everything if you do to much of has health risks.

You can drink so much you get water poisoning, and die from that. Doesnt mean going without water is a good thing.

You can eat so much it eventually kills you. Doesnt mean not eating is healthy.

Its more or less the same with drinks, in small amounts its not unhealthy.

KungKras said:
dongo8 said:

In moderate amounts it doesn't kill brain cells.

If you drink way too much over a long time it does wear down the dendrites in the brain making messaging between cells harder.

Also since it acts on GABA it's one of the most addictive drugs out there and has among the worst withdrawal symptoms of any drug.

It's also carcinogenic, so too much increases the risk of cancer.

Just wanted to get the facts out. Personally I drink, but only until the point where I start to feel good and my social inhibitions loosens up. Then I'm satisfied for most of the evening. Any more is just overkill, and I mostly drink for the taste anyway. One quality beer like a stout or IPA beats many cheap lagers any day.

Surely this is only if you are an alcoholic? People definitely drink a lot around here, especially with all the social aspects related to drinking, but I've never felt that it was an addiction in the sense that people won't be able to stop when they wan to, or have withdrawal sympotoms of any sort. 

(In Dutch society students are excempt from the definition of being an alcoholic, although on average they drink waaaaayy past the threshold! It's just too expected for us to get smashed.)

@ Bäsk conversation. 

Oh yes. I've got to try it. :P Off to Stockholm next year, anyway! 

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Around the Network

Generally no, I drink for the effect when I do.

That said, a good hefeweizen is delicious. Or a honey bourbon.

Yeah but it's an acquired taste. I only used to really like beer but I've started to like wines and whiskey.

c03n3nj0 said:
KungKras said:

Surely this is only if you are an alcoholic? People definitely drink a lot around here, especially with all the social aspects related to drinking, but I've never felt that it was an addiction in the sense that people won't be able to stop when they want to, or have withdrawal sympotoms of any sort. 

(In Dutch society students are excempt from the definition of being an alcoholic, although on average they drink waaaaayy past the threshold! It's just too expected for us to get smashed.)

@ Bäsk conversation. 

Oh yes. I've got to try it. :P Off to Stockholm next year, anyway! 

Yes if your literally addicted to drinking, and have withdrawl symptons you most probably got that way, very slowly over a long periode, where you drank much much to much of it.

Which imo would mean you where a alcoholic, a person with a drinking problem.

People can build a tolerance towards it, and if they dont have enough alcohold in their blood, they get sick/nausious/the shakes ect, they become addicted to it (just to deal with their symptoms).

Its very common that people in high positions (Bankers/Ceos) (lots of stress), have drinking problems (and addictions to it).

So its not just the underclass or poor, it happends to.

But when people think of a alcoholic they think of some poor smuch without a job that drinks to much beer.

c03n3nj0 said:
KungKras said:

If you want badass, you need to try bäsk! (Or malort as it's called in the US)
Now that's an aquired taste if I've ever seen one :)

I've definitely have had absinthe in Prague, which I think is similar. All I can say is oh boy hahaha. 

For a night of unrelentless and un-rememberable fun, I'd recommend a shot of Tequila with absinthe mixed in. After a few shots of this It hits you faster than you hit the floor afterward. 

Tequila with absinthe sounds interesting hahaha damn

Over here in Canada if we want to be a dick to our friends we'll buy them something like these:

-Prairie Fire: 151 proof rum and hot sauce

-Rocky Mountain Bear Fucker (I like these): 1/3 Jack Daniels, 1/3 Tequila, 1/3 Southern Comfort

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Not that much, honestly. I hate liquor now, after I drank too much and felt like shit the next morning. I can do with beer, but i'd rather drink stuff like red's apple ale, angry orchard or woodchuck. Don't care if they are "girly", they taste so damn good.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian