By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is NX even necessary?

Dr.Vita said:

For the players? Nope.
For Nintendo? Yep.

The user was warned for this post - VXIII.

After the dissapointing Wii U library, yes, it is necessary for us to have one console with a good Nintendo library.

OP: Yes, it is necessary. First and foremost, because as a company they can profit on hardware.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Nintyfan90 said:
Ljink96 said:

Here we go again. Killing before conception. Give it a rest. I know we're all in a frizz about NX but until NINTENDO says something about the console's concept, I'm not going to deem how worthy or unnecessary it is. Not yet, not while only 1% of info has been confirmed by Nintendo.

No need to post if you don't even bother to read the thread. I'm not "killing" NX, I'm simply asking is NX necessary if attracting 3rd parties is all Nintys after?

We don't know what NX will offer that might potentially attract or repel 3rd parties. I did read the OP but essentially, the threads about questioning a consoles performance/necessity without knowing what it is just doesn't seem right. We really don't know if it's a handheld or a console, how it works or anything of the sort. Nintendo NX's software situation will be directly influenced by its hardware. Once we know more about hardware, we can get a good idea of what 3rd parties will support the platform and if NX will be "Necessary".

curl-6 said:

Handhelds are dying, there's no point in NIntendo wasting their fortunes trying to avert the inevitable. Better to invest in a market that actually has a future. (Consoles)

I feel like the inevitable just going multiplat. Because where Nintendo is truly great is making software.

The handheld market is dying and that's where most of their success came from. Wii was exceptionally successfully but that bubble popped.

I feel like NX is going to determine Nintendo's future from here and I think they will give the handheld market another shot.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

curl-6 said:

Handhelds are dying, there's no point in NIntendo wasting their fortunes trying to avert the inevitable. Better to invest in a market that actually has a future. (Consoles)

I believe that, if left on it's current course, handhelds will die as well. However, if Nintendo can come up with a deivce that is compelling enough for kids to carry around in their backpacks, handhelds can see a rebirth. That's the issue. They have had to fight Apple head on when it comes to portable devices. If they can come up with something that even Apple can't or won't offer, then they're gold.

The question is, of course, what that could be. 

Nintyfan90 said:
curl-6 said:

Why doesn't Japan reflect this?

Japan's about the only country in the world where dedicated handhelds are still healthy. Have you seen 3DS and Vita's sales in North America and Europe lately? They're abysmal. In the most recent weekly hardware chart, 3DS is only slightly above the ailing Wii U, while Vita is on par or worse.

Handhelds sold over 230 million units globally last generation; this gen they're on track to reach about 80 million. That's a decrease of nearly 70% from one generation to the next. That's catastrophic.

Sony recognize this, that's why they've essentially pulled the plug on the Vita.

Around the Network

Miyamotoo said:

I don't think Nintendo doing on first place unified platform because 3rd party, they doing because themself, but definitely 3rd party also could can benefit from platform like that.

What difference between Wii U and 3DS?! Everything, only thing they have common is Miiverse and nothing more. They literally don't have any integration except you can use 3DS like controller on Wii U in one single game.

When I said that NX handheld will much more attractive when have home console game too I meant on Nintendo home console games on first place, but definitely there will be some 3rd parties too.

Again, main point of unified platform is that in that way Nintendo can provide higher number of more diversity games, and handheld that have home console games too, and home console that has handheld games too will be much more attractive products that just handheld that handheld games and home console that has home consoles games.

Like I wrote, IMO this is great plan and Nintendo definitely need to do that.

Look, there is no such thing as a handheld or home console game. Any game can be put anywhere, Ninty has been doing that for generations. There plats already share franchises. What 3rd parties would support the handheld line as well? Im sorry but I dont see NX handheld running PS4/Xb1 games, so what 3rd party games is NX handheld gaining? Its time for people here to admit the truth, this NX dream is nothing but hoping the home consoles get the franchises the handhelds get exclusively. Thats all you really care for, you want Ninty to go balls deep for a home console. 

Hiku said:

They're not making NX specifically for third parties, but presumably so they can unify their console and handheld libraries. That would automatically give the console more third party support, and the handheld more first party support, etc.
Contrary tyo your claim, the WiiU and 3DS don't share much of anything. The things you mention are the exceptions rather than the rule. Not one single 3DS game I own is on the WiiU. And the idea with NX is that all of them would be.

If you have to pay for third party support, then usually there's something fundamentally wrong with your console that developers see it as such a risk.
Nintendo didn't ask for any developer feedback when they were developing the WiiU, and ended up with a system that most devs didn't want to make games for.
Handhelds however are on the decline. Increasing the library of Nintendo's handheld would be one good way to garner more interest towards the system over mobile, which is growing bigger by the day.

So much wrong in the first paragraph its not even funny, tell me what first party support does the handheld gain from a fusion that it already doesnt have? Seriously, the excuses for NX existence just never cease to amaze me. The handheld doesnt gain shit from a fusion, it already has the first party support the home console wish it could get and Ninty isnt making a handheld that can candle 3rd party multiplats. So in other words the handheld side gains nothing. Why would the 3ds and wiiu play the exact same games? They are still two different plats but certainly are capable of some heavy integration. You guys are seriously misreading my thread. Im not arguing against NX being a fusion, Im arguing against NX meant to attract 3rd parties. Ninty could keep their plats the way they are now if the Wiiu had 3rd party support(obviously it would need a boost in specs). Im practically saying anyone hoping for major 3rd party support will be severly burnt yet again, because Ninty wouldnt need NX if its just for 3rd party support. Nintys support of the Wiiu is leagues better than the other two, the other two just have 3rd parties to hide their flaws. 

Sony pays for 3rd party support, thats why they foot the advertising bill and only god knows what else. Its heavily abused around here that Ninty made as much money during the GBA/GC days as sony with PS2? There is really no excuse for that if 3rd parties were oh so valuable. Its a vicious cycle Ninty wants no part of, why should I have you pay me licensing fees just for me to piss it away in advertising your games? Ninty clearly says no thanks, we'll figure this out on our own.

Ljink96 said:

We don't know what NX will offer that might potentially attract or repel 3rd parties. I did read the OP but essentially, the threads about questioning a consoles performance/necessity without knowing what it is just doesn't seem right. We really don't know if it's a handheld or a console, how it works or anything of the sort. Nintendo NX's software situation will be directly influenced by its hardware. Once we know more about hardware, we can get a good idea of what 3rd parties will support the platform and if NX will be "Necessary".

What the hell are you talking about? Dude get a grip, im not predicting anything. What we know is, this plat will have heavy integration. With that said, is heavy integration necessary if Ninty is just gonna chase after 3rd parties? Plain and simple question. 3rd parties make heavy integration unecessary because the home console can be supported by 3rds. Thats all im saying, you think Ninty wants to give up selling two distinct platforms? Them iving that up is for a reason. They would only give that up if they truly believed it could no longer continue, so heavy integration is necessary. If the home console had 3rd party support, Ninty wouldnt give up having two distinct platforms.

curl-6 said:

Japan's about the only country in the world where dedicated handhelds are still healthy. Have you seen 3DS and Vita's sales in North America and Europe lately? They're abysmal. In the most recent weekly hardware chart, 3DS is only slightly above the ailing Wii U, while Vita is on par or worse.

Handhelds sold over 230 million units globally last generation; this gen they're on track to reach about 80 million. That's a decrease of nearly 70% from one generation to the next. That's catastrophic.

Sony recognize this, that's why they've essentially pulled the plug on the Vita.

All i see is useless stats and excuses galore. Home consoles will also sell less this gen, so clearly things are going back to normal. Wii and DS heavily boosted both markets, so without a repeat market expansive product the market will strink back to its regular sive. Sony also heavily contributed to the handheld market dropping due to their poor support. No market expanding product mixed with a major hardware developer dropping out equals a major decline obviously. The home console market only lost the market expanding product, everything else remains the same. The home console market has nearly every game developer backing it in the west, thats why home consoles are selling fine in the west. Japan on the other hand has every major game developer backing handhelds which is why you see the market is the way it is in Japan(3DS > PS4 by a landslide lol). So you can spread all the fud you want, but the handheld market would be doing fine as well if the support they received was better in the west. Thats where NInty comes in, Ninty has shown us they are willing to kill their home console business to save their handheld business. See Metroid primes latest release, that is yet another once "home console exclusive" turned handheld game. I think its pretty clear what happens on this site. So called Ninty fans are so jealous of what the handheld side gets, they are willing to think up any fantasy they possibly can to make Ninty switch support to home consoles. Thats why you ignore the home console vs. handheld situation in Japan, thats why you dream of this make believe NX home console that will gather 3rd party support and play all the handheld games. 

curl-6 said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Look at any 5-6 year period of handheld sales excluding 2005-2010, you will see that 3DS+Vita is pretty similar to those pre-DS/PSP levels.

You can say that a 70% decline is awful but it could also be argued that DS+PSP were over inflated due to being the right devices at the right time in a pre-smartphone era that caused a 200% gen over gen increase.

Are handhelds dying? Have they returned back to their previous baseline? Can they successfully adapt to smart devices and increase again? We can't accurately answer those questions until the next generation is underway but it will certainly be interesting to see how things unfold.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Look at any 5-6 year period of handheld sales excluding 2005-2010, you will see that 3DS+Vita is pretty similar to those pre-DS/PSP levels.

You can say that a 70% decline is awful but it could also be argued that DS+PSP were over inflated due to being the right devices at the right time in a pre-smartphone era that caused a 200% gen over gen increase.

Are handhelds dying? Have they returned back to their previous baseline? Can they successfully adapt to smart devices and increase again? We can't accurately answer those questions until the next generation is underway but it will certainly be interesting to see how things unfold.

Japan is the only market where portables are still selling decent numbers. Outside glorious Nippon, even 3DS is barely selling any better than the dying Wii U, and Vita is a lost cause.

The core audience for portables is children, and nowadays they just game on Mum and Dad's tablet/smartphone. As for adults, in an era where everybody carries around a device capable of playing games 24/7, people are increasingly unwilling to spend hundreds of dollars on a separate device just to play certain games. Mobile gaming has ripped the heart out of the portable industry. They're destined to go the way of PDAs and movie rental stores.

curl-6 said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Ltd numbers are similar across japan, europe and america.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Japan is the only market where portables are still selling decent numbers. Outside glorious Nippon, even 3DS is barely selling any better than the dying Wii U, and Vita is a lost cause.

The core audience for portables is children, and nowadays they just game on Mum and Dad's tablet/smartphone. As for adults, in an era where everybody carries around a device capable of playing games 24/7, people are increasingly unwilling to spend hundreds of dollars on a separate device just to play certain games. Mobile gaming has ripped the heart out of the portable industry. They're destined to go the way of PDAs and movie rental stores.

Japan-21 million hardware, 102 million software

Americas-19.5 million hardware, 87 million software

Other-17.5 million hardware, 75 million software

Sales really aren't that different between region. I'm pretty sure millions of people still rent movies via Redbox, the market didn't die, it adapted which is what Nintendo needs to do. Nintendo doesnt need to beat smartphones/tablets, they simply need to find a way to coexist.

Kids/casuals want whatever is considered the new, cool, hip item and if Nintendo can release a device that is seen as cool than it will attract these consumers. Easier said that done but not impossible.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.