By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is NX even necessary?

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

You sure about that? Wii/360/PS3 vs Wii U/XB1/PS4

2007-32 million vs 2014-25 million

2008-45 million vs 2015-28.5 million

LTD thru 2008-90 million vs LTD thru 2015-67 million

2009, 2010 & 2011 each add another 40+ million.

This console gen is a decline, but a moderate one. It's not on track to sell about a third of last gen like the portable market is.

Its on track to sell about 2/3 the previous gen which would also put it below 6th gen. What is stopping this decline from continuing? From gen 1 to Gen 7 the console market had consistently grown each time, now were looking at a 90 million decrease yet I don't see you saying the market is dying.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

This console gen is a decline, but a moderate one. It's not on track to sell about a third of last gen like the portable market is.

Its on track to sell about 2/3 the previous gen which would also put it below 6th gen. What is stopping this decline from continuing? From gen 1 to Gen 7 the console market had consistently grown each time, now were looking at a 90 million decrease yet I don't see you saying the market is dying.

Simple, the console decline is nowhere near as severe as the portable decline.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Nah, or just using double standards now, selling 1/3 the previous generation is "doomed" while selling 2/3 the previous generation is nothing to be worried about.

6th generation, handhelds-80 million, consoles-200 million

7th generation, handhelds-235 million, consoles-280 million

8th generation, handhelds-80 million, consoles-180-200 million

The handheld & console markets have both reverted back to roughly 6th gen levels yet one is dead and the other is fine.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think the question is: Will the NX even have a chance to be a sucess?

Because i very much doubt it. Nintendo is gonna have to have an amazing master plan to make this work. 

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Nah, or just using double standards now, selling 1/3 the previous generation is "doomed" while selling 2/3 the previous generation is nothing to be worried about.

The handheld & console markets have both reverted back to roughly 6th gen levels yet one is dead and the other is fine.

Do I really need to explain the difference between a 1/3 drop and as 2/3 drop?

PS4's continuing strong sales show there is still great demand for consoles moving forwards. But no dedicated portable is still selling strongly. 3DS weekly sales are poor, and Vita's worse.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Nintyfan90 said:
Look, there is no such thing as a handheld or home console game. Any game can be put anywhere, Ninty has been doing that for generations. There plats already share franchises. What 3rd parties would support the handheld line as well? Im sorry but I dont see NX handheld running PS4/Xb1 games, so what 3rd party games is NX handheld gaining? Its time for people here to admit the truth, this NX dream is nothing but hoping the home consoles get the franchises the handhelds get exclusively. Thats all you really care for, you want Ninty to go balls deep for a home console.

Yes, there is such a thing as a handheld or home console game, when they've been specifically developed for that platform. Any game can be put anywhere, but a home console game has to be adapted into a handheld game and vice-versa. You're also assuming that there will be a separate NX handheld. We don't know what form the NX will take for sure, so at this stage, getting irate about what anyone else thinks the NX will mean for home console or handheld gaming is pointless. Wait until we have more information.

Hiku said:

Nintyfan90 said:

So much wrong in the first paragraph its not even funny, tell me what first party support does the handheld gain from a fusion that it already doesnt have? Seriously, the excuses for NX existence just never cease to amaze me. The handheld doesnt gain shit from a fusion, it already has the first party support the home console wish it could get and Ninty isnt making a handheld that can candle 3rd party multiplats. So in other words the handheld side gains nothing. Why would the 3ds and wiiu play the exact same games? They are still two different plats but certainly are capable of some heavy integration. You guys are seriously misreading my thread. Im not arguing against NX being a fusion, Im arguing against NX meant to attract 3rd parties. Ninty could keep their plats the way they are now if the Wiiu had 3rd party support(obviously it would need a boost in specs). Im practically saying anyone hoping for major 3rd party support will be severly burnt yet again, because Ninty wouldnt need NX if its just for 3rd party support. Nintys support of the Wiiu is leagues better than the other two, the other two just have 3rd parties to hide their flaws. 

Sony pays for 3rd party support, thats why they foot the advertising bill and only god knows what else. Its heavily abused around here that Ninty made as much money during the GBA/GC days as sony with PS2? There is really no excuse for that if 3rd parties were oh so valuable. Its a vicious cycle Ninty wants no part of, why should I have you pay me licensing fees just for me to piss it away in advertising your games? Ninty clearly says no thanks, we'll figure this out on our own.

Bolded #1. How do you think games have been shared between handheld and home console up to now? They are developed for one platform and then adapted for the other. Even Smash 4, which was developed for both Wii U and 3DS simultaneously, had problems because of how different the platforms are. A good example is the reason why Ice Climbers was axed from the roster - 3DS couldn't handle it.

Nintendo merged their home console and handheld hardware development divisions in 2013 - after 3DS and Wii U were launched. So in answer to your question about what the handheld gains from a fusion in terms of 1st party support, well, it might indicate that in the future, games can be more easily developed for both types, which may result in more games and fewer delays. That is, of course, if NX is unveiled as two separate types of console.

Bolded#2. The idea that the handheld 'wouldnt gain shit from a fusion', as you so eloquently put it - isn't necessarily true. If the NX were to be a hybrid of the two console types, the handheld portion could be a different animal altogether - something portable that is much more powerful that could handle home console games on the go.

Bolded#3. It may be wise to remember that Nintendo is a dedicated videogame company, where as Sony and MS just have gaming divisions. Having 3rd parties is not about hiding flaws. It's just the way the the other two do their business.  Having 3rd party support has the potential to increase the audience - and console sales. Lack of 3rd party support contributed to the Wii U not doing well. Arguing against making a console that will attract 3rd parties is therefore senseless.

Having said that, you are right that it would be narrow sighted to develop a console purely to increase 3rd party support, but it's narrow sighted for you to think that this is the sole purpose of the NX. Again, wait until it is revealed before getting irate about nothing.

Ljink96 said:

Nintyfan90 said:

What the hell are you talking about? Dude get a grip, im not predicting anything. What we know is, this plat will have heavy integration. With that said, is heavy integration necessary if Ninty is just gonna chase after 3rd parties? Plain and simple question. 3rd parties make heavy integration unecessary because the home console can be supported by 3rds. Thats all im saying, you think Ninty wants to give up selling two distinct platforms? Them iving that up is for a reason. They would only give that up if they truly believed it could no longer continue, so heavy integration is necessary. If the home console had 3rd party support, Ninty wouldnt give up having two distinct platforms.

Nintendo is not just going to chase after 3rd parties. Heavy integration (as you call it) between handheld and home console is to streamline their own operations, which presumably will result in better 1st party support whether NX is a handheld, a home console, or both, or a hybrid of both.

A home console with good 3rd party support wouldn't necessarily stop any decision to unify two platforms, if the unification meant better 1st party support and better 3rd party support across both.

curl-6 said:

Nintyfan90 said: All i see is useless stats and excuses galore. Home consoles will also sell less this gen, so clearly things are going back to normal. Wii and DS heavily boosted both markets, so without a repeat market expansive product the market will strink back to its regular sive. Sony also heavily contributed to the handheld market dropping due to their poor support. No market expanding product mixed with a major hardware developer dropping out equals a major decline obviously. The home console market only lost the market expanding product, everything else remains the same.

The home console market has nearly every game developer backing it in the west, thats why home consoles are selling fine in the west. Japan on the other hand has every major game developer backing handhelds which is why you see the market is the way it is in Japan(3DS > PS4 by a landslide lol). So you can spread all the fud you want, but the handheld market would be doing fine as well if the support they received was better in the west. Thats where NInty comes in, Ninty has shown us they are willing to kill their home console business to save their handheld business. See Metroid primes latest release, that is yet another once "home console exclusive" turned handheld game. I think its pretty clear what happens on this site. So called Ninty fans are so jealous of what the handheld side gets, they are willing to think up any fantasy they possibly can to make Ninty switch support to home consoles. Thats why you ignore the home console vs. handheld situation in Japan, thats why you dream of this make believe NX home console that will gather 3rd party support and play all the handheld games. 

#Bolded - I think we need to stick to what we know, here, rather than your own fantasies about what you think 'so called Ninty fans' dream about.

We know that handhelds do better in Japan than home consoles.

We know that home consoles do better in the West than they do in Japan.

We know that it's easier to dedicate time and resources to developing for one platform rather than for two.

We know that Nintendo merged their research and development divisions for home console and handheld hardware.

We know that having 3rd party support on a dedicated platform is just one of several ways of widening the audience and increasing sales.

We know that Nintendo are trying to get to larger audiences by getting their IP known through mobile apps, theme parks etc.

Despite knowing all of that, all we can be sure of about the NX is that it's going to be "A dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept." Iwata, March 2015.

And until more details are revealed, that still could mean just about anything.

(Original quotes from Miyamotoo, Curl, Hiku and Ljink are here http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7793056)

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Lol have u looked at their shipments this fiscal year?

Japan-2.01 million, Americas-1.98 million, Others-1.88 million

All three regions are doing similar numbers.

Why does Redbox losing to Netflix matter? Millions of people use it and its profitable which is what matters and is exactly my point. Redbox doesnt need to beat Netflix/Hulu just like handhelds don't need to beat smartphones/tablets, they simply need to coexist.

Japan is just one country, the fact it's selling more than a whole continent or the rest of the world says a lot.

Dedicated portables will continue to dwindle in sales next generation, count on it. Sony know what's up, they see there's no long term future in it. There won't be another Sony portable, and the next Nintendo portable will continue the 3DS's decline.

It says a lot about japan's importance in the game market. That's because japan is big, not because the others are doing bad. The hardware results were always similar to now but you're not complaining about past numbers, are you?

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Do I really need to explain the difference between a 1/3 drop and as 2/3 drop?

PS4's continuing strong sales show there is still great demand for consoles moving forwards. But no dedicated portable is still selling strongly. 3DS weekly sales are poor, and Vita's worse.

I understand the difference but u need to explain why one is dead while the other is fine and dandy.

3DS in its first 3 full years did about 13-14 million, so far we have seen PS4 sell about 14-16 million in its first 2 full years.

Miyamotoo said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Look, there is no such thing as a handheld or home console game. Any game can be put anywhere, Ninty has been doing that for generations. There plats already share franchises.

What 3rd parties would support the handheld line as well? Im sorry but I dont see NX handheld running PS4/Xb1 games, so what 3rd party games is NX handheld gaining?

Its time for people here to admit the truth, this NX dream is nothing but hoping the home consoles get the franchises the handhelds get exclusively. Thats all you really care for, you want Ninty to go balls deep for a home console. 

Thats a point, almost any game could can be put anywhere, so whats a point of developing of two Mario Kart games, two NSMB games, two Smash games...whats a point on throwing time and resources on seperate NSMB game for handheld and seperate NSMB game for home console when can they make just one game with unifed platform and use that extra time to make other games, that leaves to higher number and more diversity games than before when they had separate platforms.

Unified platform will be much more attractive for 3rd parties as well, because in that way they will have user base of handheld owners and user base of home console owners in same time with one game. Its very simple.

You are wrong, NX dream is dream about single unified platform with much stronger and much diverse support than each of two separate platforms can ever have.

I agree with everything you are saying except the 3rd parties part. The handheld can't be left out, what kind of 3rd party support are you expecting a handheld to get?

Nintyfan90 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Thats a point, almost any game could can be put anywhere, so whats a point of developing of two Mario Kart games, two NSMB games, two Smash games...whats a point on throwing time and resources on seperate NSMB game for handheld and seperate NSMB game for home console when can they make just one game with unifed platform and use that extra time to make other games, that leaves to higher number and more diversity games than before when they had separate platforms.

Unified platform will be much more attractive for 3rd parties as well, because in that way they will have user base of handheld owners and user base of home console owners in same time with one game. Its very simple.

You are wrong, NX dream is dream about single unified platform with much stronger and much diverse support than each of two separate platforms can ever have.

I agree with everything you are saying except the 3rd parties part. The handheld can't be left out, what kind of 3rd party support are you expecting a handheld to get?

We already know handhelds have very strong support from Japanese developers, unified platform can definitely win some other 3rd parties.