By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is NX even necessary?

We don't know what the NX is yet.

I'll just say it. I LOVED THE WII! It's still used in my basement, and gets nearly as much play as the pool table when I have wine mixers. It's great way to socialize while hanging out with friends.

Why don't we wait for the reveal to decide?

Sony is also in a great place right now. The PSVR has the potential to give a 360 Kinect boost to the PS4.

Around the Network
Nintyfan90 said:
curl-6 said:

You can deny it all you want, but the statistics speak for themselves. 3DS is on track to be Nintendo's worst selling portable besides the Virtual Boy, Vita is a disaster, and the portable market has collapsed by over 60% from last gen.

I haven't denied anything, this matters way too much to you simply because you dont like seeing Ninty bring their best to the portable side and shit on the home console side. You only want the fall of handhelds, so you have a reason for Ninty to go all home console. So enjoy Metroid Prime on Wiiuuu.....oh yeah. Ninty wont let handhelds fall, so keep on begging for WiiU ports. While they keep on supporting handhelds to the best of their abilities. Smartphones killed handhelds but for some "odd" reason we cant figureout why they are killing home consoles in Japan. Oh and heres my favorite part, "3DS is on track to be Nintendo's worst selling portable besides the Virtual Boy" while "WiiU is Nintendo's worst selling home console". You see the difference, 3DS still has very minor chance while WiiU could be done later this year and will be forever cemented as Nintys worst. Sounds like Ninty is putting their eggs in the right basket.

I'd counter that you only say handhelds will continue because you like them, and that your predictions are therefore biased by wishful thinking.

If Nintendo makes another dedicated portable, it will continue to decline and sell worse than 3DS, you can count on that, as sure as you can count on Sony not even making another dedicated portable.

Look, in the entertaiment industry it's dangerous to make selling trends for the future. If you have the right marketing and a product comes at the right time and it becomes "it", it always will sell great, even if the product is shit.

PS4 and to a lesser degree Xbox One are selling great because there was/is a high demand for a new generation console after the former generation lasted so long. Nintendo Wii U could have profited from it as well as they were a year ahead on the market but it failed because 1. it's no real 8. gen console, 2. no marketing, 3. wrong launch titles and 4. software droughts after launch.

If you bring the right thing at the right time with good marketing, a new home console and a new handheld could be big again. There's nothing which speaks against it.

curl-6 said:

Handhelds are dying, there's no point in NIntendo wasting their fortunes trying to avert the inevitable. Better to invest in a market that actually has a future. (Consoles)

I believe the inverse. The console market has shrunk dramatically, and MS and Sony are doing research into going to cloud based gaming that can run independent of having a physical console attached. Consoles this gen have flirted with price points that make future consoles look to cost the same as a decent custom PC gaming rig.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com