By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is NX even necessary?

withdreday said:
curl-6 said:

I dunno, I am feeling very confident in my pessimism here. The rise of mobile effectively eradicates the need for a portable for the average consumer.

Well people were saying the same thing about dedicated gaming consoles in general before this gen, and the PS4 is well on it's way to 100 million worldwide, So I think we've all but seen that the general consumer isn't what drives the gaming industry.

All Nintendo has to do is make a handheld that's appealing and has great software to inspire a user base and just like with the PS4, the sales will come.

The general consumer is by definition what drives the industry, because what makes you a general consumer of something is being the average kind of person who buys something.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I dunno, I am feeling very confident in my pessimism here. The rise of mobile effectively eradicates the need for a portable for the average consumer.

Have you ever considered that your pessimism comes down to you disfavouring portables ? 

What makes you think Nintendo's prospects in the console wars are any better than their declining handheld market despite past data suggesting otherwise ? 

At least Nintendo doesn't have to worry about competition anymore in that segment so raising game prices to somewhat offset the loss in customers seems like an option ... 

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Have you ever considered that your pessimism comes down to you disfavouring portables ? 

What makes you think Nintendo's prospects in the console wars are any better than their declining handheld market despite past data suggesting otherwise ? 

At least Nintendo doesn't have to worry about competition anymore in that segment so raising game prices to somewhat offset the loss in customers seems like an option ... 

Yes they do. Mobile is competition, competition they can't compete with.

And on the contrary, I believe the opposite, that people who think there's a future for handhelds simply want desperately to believe it.

curl-6 said:

And on the contrary, I believe the opposite, that people who think there's a future for handhelds simply want desperately to believe it.

No they are not, they do not provide the same quality of games as a dedicated gaming handheld does ... 

So Zorg and I are desperate now ? Oh well at least you still can't fully back up that consoles will be a better endeavor for Nintendo so an eye for an eye I guess ?

Nintyfan90 said:

Miyamotoo said:

I don't think Nintendo doing on first place unified platform because 3rd party, they doing because themself, but definitely 3rd party also could can benefit from platform like that.

What difference between Wii U and 3DS?! Everything, only thing they have common is Miiverse and nothing more. They literally don't have any integration except you can use 3DS like controller on Wii U in one single game.

When I said that NX handheld will much more attractive when have home console game too I meant on Nintendo home console games on first place, but definitely there will be some 3rd parties too.

Again, main point of unified platform is that in that way Nintendo can provide higher number of more diversity games, and handheld that have home console games too, and home console that has handheld games too will be much more attractive products that just handheld that handheld games and home console that has home consoles games.

Like I wrote, IMO this is great plan and Nintendo definitely need to do that.

Look, there is no such thing as a handheld or home console game. Any game can be put anywhere, Ninty has been doing that for generations. There plats already share franchises.

What 3rd parties would support the handheld line as well? Im sorry but I dont see NX handheld running PS4/Xb1 games, so what 3rd party games is NX handheld gaining?

Its time for people here to admit the truth, this NX dream is nothing but hoping the home consoles get the franchises the handhelds get exclusively. Thats all you really care for, you want Ninty to go balls deep for a home console. 

Thats a point, almost any game could can be put anywhere, so whats a point of developing of two Mario Kart games, two NSMB games, two Smash games...whats a point on throwing time and resources on seperate NSMB game for handheld and seperate NSMB game for home console when can they make just one game with unifed platform and use that extra time to make other games, that leaves to higher number and more diversity games than before when they had separate platforms.

Unified platform will be much more attractive for 3rd parties as well, because in that way they will have user base of handheld owners and user base of home console owners in same time with one game. Its very simple.

You are wrong, NX dream is dream about single unified platform with much stronger and much diverse support than each of two separate platforms can ever have.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

No they are not, they do not provide the same quality of games as a dedicated gaming handheld does ... 

So Zorg and I are desperate now ? Oh well at least you still can't fully back up that consoles will be a better endeavor for Nintendo so an eye for an eye I guess ?

Only us minority of hardcore gamers care about the "quality" a dedicated portable offers, the average consumer is happy with their smartphone.

But this is a debate we've had before, and I doubt we will cover any new ground here, so we may as well leave it at that.

curl-6 said:

Only us minority of hardcore gamers care about the "quality" a dedicated portable offers, the average consumer is happy with their smartphone.

But this is a debate we've had before, and I doubt we will cover any new ground here, so we may as well leave it at that.

Then the same must apply to consoles too, lower end PC games are apparently enough for the average consumer ... 

"Dedicated" gaming itself has been the minority for a long while ...

Do you see how fallacious it is to trivialize a point ? 

curl-6 said:

Then the same must apply to consoles too, lower end PC games are apparently enough for the average consumer ... 

The portable market is in catastrophic decline from last gen, the console market isn't.

curl-6 said:

The portable market is in catastrophic decline from last gen, the console market isn't.

You sure about that? Wii/360/PS3 vs Wii U/XB1/PS4

2007-32 million vs 2014-25 million

2008-45 million vs 2015-28.5 million

LTD thru 2008-90 million vs LTD thru 2015-67 million

2009, 2010 & 2011 each add another 40+ million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

You sure about that? Wii/360/PS3 vs Wii U/XB1/PS4

2007-32 million vs 2014-25 million

2008-45 million vs 2015-28.5 million

LTD thru 2008-90 million vs LTD thru 2015-67 million

2009, 2010 & 2011 each add another 40+ million.

This console gen is a decline, but a moderate one. It's not on track to sell about a third of last gen like the portable market is.