By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is NX even necessary?

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Do I really need to explain the difference between a 1/3 drop and as 2/3 drop?

PS4's continuing strong sales show there is still great demand for consoles moving forwards. But no dedicated portable is still selling strongly. 3DS weekly sales are poor, and Vita's worse.

I understand the difference but u need to explain why one is dead while the other is fine and dandy.

3DS in its first 3 full years did about 13-14 million, so far we have seen PS4 sell about 14-16 million in its first 2 full years.

Portables aren't dead. Not yet anyway. When I talk about not having a long term future, I mean that in, say, ten years they either won't be a thing, or will be a very niche product.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

I understand the difference but u need to explain why one is dead while the other is fine and dandy.

3DS in its first 3 full years did about 13-14 million, so far we have seen PS4 sell about 14-16 million in its first 2 full years.

Portables aren't dead. Not yet anyway. When I talk about not having a long term future, I mean that in, say, ten years they either won't be a thing, or will be a very niche product.

Epic echoes of deja vu. People have been saying that for ages.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Don't even pretend that you know where tech or consumer interests will be in 2026. For all we know, home consoles could be irrelevant by then and the majority of people will be using streaming services on their smart TV's to play games causing people to have no need for a $300-400 box under the TV.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Thunderbird77 said:
curl-6 said:

And they were right; the handheld market has plummeted more than 60% this gen.

Nem said:

I think the question is: Will the NX even have a chance to be a sucess?

Because i very much doubt it. Nintendo is gonna have to have an amazing master plan to make this work. 

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:

No there isn't a such thing as a home or handheld console game. You are clearly just describing the power difference in both. Obviously traditional handhelds and home consoles need the games to be adapted across each, but thats only because of the power difference. Power doesnt dictate whether something is a handheld or home console game. If Ninty makes a handheld that as similar specs to PS4, the plats would run the same games. But for obvious reasons handhelds arent made that way. Thats my point, people use power to dictate whether something is for handhelds or not but that doesn't make something a handheld or home console game. If I slapped a battery on my wiiu, guess what? It is now a handheld, just like that lol. It would be no different from 3DS. Thats how I know there is no such thing as a handheld or home console game. Home consoles are just typically more powerful due to no need of being portable. If Ninty slapped together a $700 handheld, we would then see a handheld that could handle Black Ops 3.  

Nintendo merged their home console and handheld hardware development divisions in 2013 - after 3DS and Wii U were launched. So in answer to your question about what the handheld gains from a fusion in terms of 1st party support, well, it might indicate that in the future, games can be more easily developed for both types, which may result in more games and fewer delays. That is, of course, if NX is unveiled as two separate types of console.

More easily developed for both types? Please just stop the theory talk and start talking real world results. What does for "both types" even mean? For example, what would change about a Mario Kart game made for both? Nothing lol, MK8 could easily be a handheld game if the handheld could handle it lol. This is the type of stuff im talking about, this seperation of handhelds and home consoles is all in your head. There is no difference dude, todays handhelds are simply 6th gen plats with screens and batteries.

Bolded#2. The idea that the handheld 'wouldnt gain shit from a fusion', as you so eloquently put it - isn't necessarily true. If the NX were to be a hybrid of the two console types, the handheld portion could be a different animal altogether - something portable that is much more powerful that could handle home console games on the go.

A more powerful handheld is somehow a "different animal"? No lol its just a more powerful handheld, which is just a home console with a screen and battery. Even further proof of your pure disrepect for handhelds. Now why didnt I get any examples of what this more powerful handheld could get out of this fusion besides 3rd party support? If Ninty made the New 3DS as powerful as the WiiU, what would this New 3DS gain? Mk8? It already has Mk7. Windwaker? It already has Oot 3D. The point is a more powerful handheld gains nothing because it is now too expensive for a portable device. 

Bolded#3. It may be wise to remember that Nintendo is a dedicated videogame company, where as Sony and MS just have gaming divisions. Having 3rd parties is not about hiding flaws. It's just the way the the other two do their business.  Having 3rd party support has the potential to increase the audience - and console sales. Lack of 3rd party support contributed to the Wii U not doing well. Arguing against making a console that will attract 3rd parties is therefore senseless.

Now youre just defending what your favorite companies do. Thats nice and all but Ninty would rather expand their base at their own expense and make all the money. They have been doing business like that for decades and they would rather continue than listen to some random on the internet. The argument i presented against 3rd parties is the best theory i could come up with for why a billion dollar corporation would ignore money like that. Maybe your favorite company doesnt mind what ever flaws that comes with kissing the asses of 3rd parties. But for some reason Ninty just plain refuses to do it. Thats quite weird to say the least. Then I look at their financial reports and you would think Sony would show a history of blowing Ninty out of the water. Explain to me how Ninty could make just as much money selling less than half the games Sony does? GBA and GC didnt even sell as much as PS2 or anywhere near the amount of games and yet its heavily abused here Ninty made just as much money during that gen. It makes no sense and clearly points to, 3rd parties arent as cheap as you think.

I never said it was the sole purpose, actually read the thread. Im saying theres no point to NX if Ninty is after 3rd party support. Im pretty much saying they arent after 3rd party support, they are instead preparing for a future without them if Ninty continues to fail to attract them. 

A home console with good 3rd party support wouldn't necessarily stop any decision to unify two platforms, if the unification meant better 1st party support and better 3rd party support across both.

And if 3rd party support improves for only the home console, then the handheld is screwed. 3rd parties haven't shown any loyalty to the handheld side of gaming, so Ninty has no reason to trust they will comeback or even want to. History shows us, 3rd parties havent been very relevant in the handheld space to begin with. Why would Ninty take the risk of streamlining everything and only the home console benefit from it? Or are you actually saying Nintys next handheld will be able to handle 3rd party ports? I would love that no doubt but I just dont see it. Therefore only one scenario remains and that is the home console getting all Nintys support and 3rd party support while the handheld is left out.

And finally those are the fantasies of so called Ninty fans here, this dream of the home console getting it all from Ninty and 3rd party support is a fantasy. They even try to dream up 3rd party support pouring over to the handheld side to make it seem even more realistic. 

curl-6 said:
Thunderbird77 said:

And the home consoles have declined without any reason at all. They have all the support in the world while handhelds just have Ninty. I guess thats why the 3DS got the latest Metroid Prime game lol. Ninty knows its up to them to keep handhelds going, so even if it means sinking their home console division...their up for it. If Federation Force sells more than Metroid Prime 3, its gonna be a sad day for Ninty home console fans.

Nintyfan90 said:
curl-6 said:

And the home consoles have declined without any reason at all. They have all the support in the world while handhelds just have Ninty. I guess thats why the 3DS got the latest Metroid Prime game lol. Ninty knows its up to them to keep handhelds going, so even if it means sinking their home console division...their up for it. If Federation Force sells more than Metroid Prime 3, its gonna be a sad day for Ninty home console fans.

The console market has not shrunk anywhere near as severely as the portable market. The former has dipped, the latter has nosedived.

It's as necessary as you

Nintyfan90 said:
curl-6 said:

The reason is simple: the Wii U is the only console this generation that has failed to keep up with its predecessor. The PS4+XBO are doing significantly better than the PS3+X360.