By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to unify PC and Xbox One platforms, ending fixed console hardware

TheMessiah said:

Why does esram become an issue. Ms SDK for Xbox one tiles for esram without the dev having to do much at all.

You really have no clue..

What is somewhat irritating is the coincidence that I was, just for fun purposes, skipping through the misterx blog just before reading your drivel here. What struck me that the same absolute cluelesness on misterxmedia's site is pretty much mirrored by you. Granted the "Russian style English" is not here, but all the rest points into the direction of misterxmedia mass postings...

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
TheMessiah said:

Crackdown 3 is nothing?

Have you made an Xbox one and Xbox Pc game using UWP? Because developers who have ( Turn 10, Remedy Games, Lionhead Studios, Iron Galaxy ) say different. For example Remedy started the Xbox pc version very late into development of the console version. Using UWP the game will be available on April 5th alongside the Xbox One version and cross buy to boot.

Have you seen developers used the could in any meaningful way since? Did the difference it made to the game make the game signficantly better to justify the effort? Just because it can work doesn't mean it's worth the effort.

And no, I haven't made an X1 game using UWP. So what? Its a developer tool that may or may not make the process of porting back and forth to PC minorly or moderately to signifcantly easier. The truth of the matter has yet to be seen. I remember reading an article from a Crytek dev about how "the Cloud" was going to enable the X1 to blow the PS4 out of the water performance-wise or so nonsense. I'll actually believe it's practical utility when people I know and respect have put it through its paces. As of right now, it is a lot of marketing fluff, and I guarantee it's not as easy as everyone is making it out to be. Based on some demo's you'd swear it's literally a matter of a few mouse clicks to recompile an x1 game to a PC game. I promise you it is not nearly that easy. There are hundreds of examples of platforms be added late to a game's development and all versions coming out simultaneously. The fact that one or two games used this tool and added a PC copy "late in the development cycle" (which literally could have been over a year ago) isn't acutally evidence of anything. These teams could have worked OT for the past 10 months, just so the Producer could attend a conference and pretend how easy it was. We really don't know.

That being said, assuming the tool actually does work as advertised, I don't need to know anything about it to have an understanding to know what it takes to properly QA a video game. No matter how great this tool is, it is effectively double the effort to QA this game. Every time you submit a change, whether it be a completely new game mode, new menu, or a text game, you need to run your code through a series of tests to ensure that your submission didn't break the main, shared build of a game. On a PS4/X1 game these tests can take 30-45 minutes. Every. Single. Time. You're adding another 10-15 minutes to that easily, on dozens to hundreds of submissions a day. That time adds up to lost development time, you can't keep working on the game while it's testing because any changes would have to go through the tests again. On a AAA game, the additional cost would be millions of dollars, and that's just the development side of QA. The testing team would have to treat the new X1.5 like an entirely new platform and verify the game works exactly the same on the X1.5 as it does on the X1 and PS4. There aren't any two ways around that.  You have no idea how much additional work MS is asking of developers, and you just gloss it over like it isn't any big deal.

Crackdown 3 isn't out yet. So we don't know its affect on the industry yet. But from what we have seen so far Crackdown e would be impossible on PS4 locally. It would need to also utilized cloud computing to run it.

Best thing we can do is this. Wait till later this year when Phil Spencer outlines the exact plans. Its happening so we will see in due time just how the consumer responds to Unifying console and pc and console upgrades with their wallets.

CGI-Quality said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/263488/spencer-i-wouldnt-say-our-strategy-is-to-unify-the-xbox-one-and-pc/

Maybe they're waiting for E3 to fully disclose their plans. In fact, I'd bet on it!

I agree. Phil is holding his cards close. I'm sure all will be revealed at E3. I would love a version 2 Xbox announced for Xmas at E3.

zero129 said:
OneKartVita said:
Will the increased pc support effect the sales of the x1? It has to. The sales are already low and struggling against the competition. How can I gain momentum when there's another viable alternative.

The will be a more powerful X1 releasing, so i imagine that will boost the sales alot. All games now are forword and backword compatible.

You want to play MS games and 3rd party games but dont care about Graphics? Buy an Xbox1.

Your only into consoles and want to play the best looking MS games and the "best" looking 3rd party games? Buy an Xbox1S/Xbox10..

You want the best looking MS games and the best looking 3rd party and 3rd party console exclusive games Buy a windows10 PC.

You want to play them MS games on the Go? Buy a Windows 10 Phone.

Its clear to see where MS is going with this. Console install base is not whats important its "Total User" Base thats important.

For instance it sounds much more better if MS is looking to get a game on their platform to say "Well we have 80 million users on our Platform" instead of "We have 20 million users on our xbox1 systems".

But what i also think is, if MS release a more powerful Xbox1. Sony might follow and release a more Powerful PS4. This could be the end of our normal console gens.

Unfortunately for MS, I still don't know a single person with a Windows phone.

They're the laughing stock of the cell phone market.

Android, iPhone or bust.

CGI-Quality said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/263488/spencer-i-wouldnt-say-our-strategy-is-to-unify-the-xbox-one-and-pc/

Maybe they're waiting for E3 to fully disclose their plans. In fact, I'd bet on it!

Magnifique 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

I know plenty of people who own windows phone and I use one too.

TheMessiah said:
Protendo said:
The Messiah is missing very important points.

1.) All the Windows 10 games are lacking even the most basic standards Crossfire, windows mode, and more.
2.) Gears shows how bad the transition can be for sloppy ports
3.) This shows the eSRAM weakness in this strategy. It's what is making things difficult. The only way to make the transition smoother is not optimize for eSRAM which could result in a downgrade in graphics.
4.) Microsoft is never getting back the steam market without Mod support. Who's going to buy the W10 version of Elders Scrolls?
5.) Steam has plenty of exclusives not coming to W10, so I don't think they are worried about sloppy ports without the basic features.

The sad thing is this could of been great, but what they released so far is not going to convince anyone to change. If anything there efforts might make Vulkan look more attractive than DirectX...

Ive read from users here gears runs really well and looks better than the Xbox one version. few dropped frames, but that's it.

The Xbox app on pc is due an upgrade this year with the issues you want fixed.

Why does esram become an issue. Ms SDK for Xbox one tiles for esram without the dev having to do much at all.

Phil Spencer said last week he's working with 3rd parties to bring all pc titles to Xbox pc and direct x 12. As now 3rd parties can make Xbox console and Xbox pc games simultaneously with UWP. If a game gets made for Xbox console it will be on Xbox pc in the future. 3rd parties can also utilized cross buy just like MS first Party is doing.

Lets wait and see what happens when all of Ms First party is on Xbox pc later this year as well as 3rd party pc titles.

You can stop now. Even the biggest Xbox fans are admitting to the annoying judder. Are you saying all the technical sites are lying, all the video streams are made up? I didn't even post all the problems originally. Youtube is having fun with this mess as reports of people falling through the ground and graphic oddities appear.

Surely everyone is wrong and this is just some big conspiroucy agains Microsoft....  (Sarcasm) 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=214220&page=1

I won't even mention the others, reading the forms other users have know what's up. That's good enough for me.

Protendo said:
TheMessiah said:

Ive read from users here gears runs really well and looks better than the Xbox one version. few dropped frames, but that's it.

The Xbox app on pc is due an upgrade this year with the issues you want fixed.

Phil Spencer said last week he's working with 3rd parties to bring all pc titles to Xbox pc and direct x 12. As now 3rd parties can make Xbox console and Xbox pc games simultaneously with UWP. If a game gets made for Xbox console it will be on Xbox pc in the future. 3rd parties can also utilized cross buy just like MS first Party is doing.

Lets wait and see what happens when all of Ms First party is on Xbox pc later this year as well as 3rd party pc titles.

You can stop now. Even the biggest Xbox fans are admitting to the annoying judder. Are you saying all the technical sites are lying, all the video streams are made up? I didn't even post all the problems originally. Youtube is having fun with this mess as reports of people falling through the ground and graphic oddities appear.

Surely everyone is wrong and this is just some big conspiroucy agains Microsoft....  (Sarcasm) 

I won't even mention the others, reading the forms other users have know what's up. That's good enough for me.

I'm not saying anything. Ive not looked for anything regarding. I simply stated what users on this site have said about their experience with Gears Of War on pc. CGI Quality said a little stuttery but a clean, crisp image and able to run at 120fps on his rig.

TheMessiah said:
Protendo said:

I'm not saying anything. Ive not looked for anything regarding. I simply stated what users on this site have said about their experience with Gears Of War on pc. CGI Quality said a little stuttery but a clean, crisp image and able to run at 120fps on his rig.

Can you even admit when MS borks something up?

This is pretty much a flagship title for UWA, and it's completely borked for many users. It's a good thing the porting of the game from X1 to PC was so easy! Maybe they completely forgot to test it with common and widely used hardware settings. See, in the real world, it's not just a couple of button clicks, changing a few settings, and boom, working game. Porting a game still takes a pile of hard work, effort, and testing. It's things like this that demonstrate if there is an X1.5, developers will have to test it diligently, as if it were a seperate platform.

potato_hamster said:
TheMessiah said:

Can you even admit when MS borks something up?

This is pretty much a flagship title for UWA, and it's completely borked for many users. It's a good thing the porting of the game from X1 to PC was so easy! Maybe they completely forgot to test it with common and widely used hardware settings. See, in the real world, it's not just a couple of button clicks, changing a few settings, and boom, working game. Porting a game still takes a pile of hard work, effort, and testing. It's things like this that demonstrate if there is an X1.5, developers will have to test it diligently, as if it were a seperate platform.

Easy man. I can only go off what I've read about it. I don't own it. Ive only read impressions from some on vgchartz. The first I heard of issues was in that post. Now what I can personally comment on was how broken Halo mcc was at launch. Because I experienced it. Issues around launches are hardly because of UWP. At least theres no proof respectfully. Because many games had issues at launch without using UWP.