By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to unify PC and Xbox One platforms, ending fixed console hardware

TheMessiah said:
Swordmasterman said:

Yes, making games For PC, is going Multiplataform, does not matter if is not on other console, only if it is on Other Plataform, they just own the Store, just like Steam, does, Valve, is a Third Party Company, make games for Their Store, and Console, even if is Xbox/PC games, like Left 4 Dead, still Third Party, and Multiplataform, the only difference is that Valve, does not own the PC, neither the Xbox, and Microsoft, own the Xbox, but not the PC.

No its not multplatform in the sense you mean.

To play any of MS xbox exclusives on PC you have to have Windows 10. You have to have an Xbox Live account, and can only purchase these games from the Xbox store. The same store Xbox One owners buy from Digitally. These PC versions have achievements just like the console because your connected to Xbox Live. Your playing through the Xbox app on Windows 10. With 3rd party developers putting their PC titles on the Xbox store on PC its controlled by MS the same way they control these publishers putting games on the Xbox store.

Hence why Cross Buy can exist. Buy 1 copy of Battlefield 5 when it releases and you get it on Xbox PC and Xbox Console.

What makes people consider Xbox on PC over Steam?

Steam wont have Quantum Break, Halo Wars 2, Sea Of Thieves, Killer Instinct, Gears Of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Crackdown 3, Halo 5, Gears Ultimate Edition and so on. All MS First Party games will be available on Xbox PC Store. With full achievements. Cross Platform chat with console users, Cross platform play, Cross Platform buy. Then theres the ability to take a screenshot, then share it instantly on Xbox app with console and PC users alike. Or videos via Game DVR. Stream to twich with no fuss. The list is endless.

Microsoft are unifying ( and have done so already ) Console and PC Xbox players. On my Console I can chat, send a message, see videos etc with my friends on PC. Whereas before PC and console gamers could not interact like this. We arent talking just about a developer making a game Cross play which has happened on PS4. But the entire Xbox experience being on PC. Friends list unified. Everything.

This isn't Possible unless Microsoft, pay for the Developers and   try to convence Developers to do this, they cannot make Crossbuy with Third Party Tittles, i bet that they still need to pay for the Developers to release the Last game of the series with the disc of the new entry, using Backwards compatibility.

Sending Xbox One games for PC, does not means nothing for Making Crossbuy Popular, they still would be able, with only Third Party games on Windows Store, and they would need to pay the same ammount for Developers, to release those games crossbuy with both versions, They don't need to make Xbox, a Steam Machine, to make the Windows Store work, i Think that the Millions of People that Purchased Xbox, love the Console Market, and Microsoft, is giving a Shit about this, i hope that they change their minds, just like with the DRM.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/263488/spencer-i-wouldnt-say-our-strategy-is-to-unify-the-xbox-one-and-pc/

Maybe they're waiting for E3 to fully disclose their plans. In fact, I'd bet on it!

Wtf ?, but Spencer din't said that he wanted to unify Xbox One, and PC ?, i'm really clueless, i think that is better to wait for E3, and just hope that they don't announce anything ridiculous.

SvennoJ said:
TheMessiah said:

From what I understand its because games haven't utilized UWP yet. If they did they would be available in the Xbox pc store. Scaling the graphics from Xbox to Xbox pc is easier when UWP is used. Because you don't have to change much code.

Different from how a developer currently ports games from console to pc.

Of course Visuals are the reason why MS would upgrade an Xbox. Admittedly they can add current tech they couldn't when the gen started like 4K Blu-ray, 4K Netflix etc to. Maybe a 2nd hdmi in.

The trains already in motion, and I guess we will see just how its done and whether the consumer likes this choice with their wallets or not.

After the huge praise Surface pro and now Surface Book have got Microsoft seem to be innovating much better these days with good results. Surface is getting a pretty good name. And is the leader in increasing hybrid market share. They seem on the ball the last few years. They have had a great turn around for Xbox One largely thanks to Phil Spencer. He seems really involved in making Xbox great again.

I'm sure the current Microsoft knows how to achieve this unity and upgrades. The Microsoft of the 2010-2013 Was a bit lost in the gaming sector and wasn't matching the good work done by the Windows and Surface teams.

I guess we will see later this year.

I got to admit, I admire your conviction, but this UWP mantra is starting to sound like marketing the Cloud.
There is no fairy dust in making software, even on the exact same hardware, only faster processor and different amounts of memory, hdd or ssd we had to test throroughly and adjust data, balance memory management and timing between threads to make the best of the different hardware platforms. Cross compile is the easy part, the real work happens after.

I don't know about the huge praise surface pro got, all I know it's out of my price reach. Not at all good power/price ratio imo.
I'm not sure about the big turn around for XBox One either, still hiding sales for example.

But sure we will see. My guess is a cheap streaming box, no disc drive, 1tb hdd, hdmi 2.0, windows 10 with xbox one innards. XBox One games will look exactly the same, there is just no profit to be made with a slight yet costly upgrade. The only upgrade will be for the OS and streaming.
Of course it will be marketed as a completely new thing, Windows 10 UWP all in One machine, nicely locked to the windows 10 store. With keyboard and mouse support in a the next update it's ready for re-launch. The main focus will be on Windows 10, windows 10 store, all xbox one games on windows 10, buy an xbox one game get it in your windows 10 library as well, etc.

But if you want the games to look better, you have to buy your own hardware with windows 10 on it. Simple.

Surface Pro, is too Expensive, with Government Tax, and converting it to US$, it cost 4500-5000US$ the newest version on my Homeland.

TheMessiah said:
potato_hamster said:

Holy crap man, are you a spokesperson for MS? Seriously, every single post you have made on this site raves about how great Microsoft  is in some way, whether it be its products or it's direction. Every single one. Every single article/video you link to is from some type of Microsoft PR event. If you have anything bad to say it's always vague and pretty an pretty commonly accepted opinion, but even then you try and put a positive spin on it. And a couple time out of nowhere you've brought other MS products into the conversation seemingly out of the blue so you can rave about how great they are without apparently ever using them. All that on a two-day old account.

Seems a bit odd.

I like MS is there a problem here?

I dont wish to post in threads with information on a company or product Im not interested in. I dont see the point of trolling someone elses opinion or likes. Your taking things out of context. Especially referring to the Gears on PC thing. Other people have come forward and said in your thread that they have very little problems. The same who posted impressions that I read here on VGC. Ive not been here more than 5 minutes, and really only commented on MS announcement about Upgradeable Xbox Ones and exclusives coming to PC. Of which I like and see no problem of. So why would I need to be negative? I also praised The Last Of Us and Heavy Rain. They arent MS products.

Anyway, life goes on.  

To say the truth, only because you like Some games of a Plataform,  does not means you are biased towards other plataform, we are speaking about Xbox, and PC, coming together, Xbox One, became upgradable, and you bring the Microsoft's Phone market that does not have nothing to do with this, Microsoft, is not going Mobile.......so.

And Microsoft, cannot compete with Apple, on the Phone Market, because they joined the ship too late, Apple, already have a Install Base, the Apple's Phones means Status, Windows Phone, is really Niche, i never saw one  on my Whole life, and because of that, the Apple Store,  Receive a lot of App, and a lot of Games App, Apple Store, receive biggest games than the Android, and most of the times it receive first, even Happy Whells, launched first for IOS, so the 2 have a nice competition on Software's Support, Apple, and Google, and this is something that Microsoft, cannot offer.

Mobile Gaming, is nearly big as Console, and PC Gaming, with Apple, and Android, with the Edge, this make more difficult to Microsoft, for Aproach, same reason because Sony, and Samsung, also failed on this area.

What MS is saying is "we lost so we are going to not only leave the arena and kill our much-hyped champion but we are going to do our best (or worst) to actually destroy the arena because this is a game that we can't win so nobody should play it."

I have nothing against PC and PC gaming, by  the way, but these are the reasons I prefer to play games on consoles and keep the PC for 'work' things and phones for making phone calls.

- malware/spyware: platforms such as the PS4 and Nintendo have been virus free and whatever 'tracking' of online activties they do, it is limited and understood.Of course, Microsoft's desperate attempts to spy on users through Kinect have been a contributing factor to them losing the console competition because most of us don't like to be tracked and observed in our living rooms.

- hacker proof: unlike PC games, console games are generally hacker-free. I like that. Microsoft's unifying PC games with their consoles will open up the Xbox games to hackers and there's will be no way to avoid them if Microsoft has its way.

- optimized to the max: yes, consoles are not as powerful as the most expensive gaming PCs but, thanks to their 'fixed' and well documented and well understood architecture, performance on a console is way better than what you'd get out of a similarly built PC. Once Microsoft releases some universal developers' platform, you can forget about optimization. You will find that 'new games' will work as poorly on the Xbox you bought one year ago as they do on the $400 PC that you bought a year go.

- efficient allocation of resources: consoles don't spent CPU cycles constantly defending themselves from viruses or doing the many other things that PCs do, with their multi-layered operating systems that translate into enormous overhead. The Xboxes of the future if such things will ever exist and the PCs, of course, have a million more things to worry about than a console does.

- very limited ads. I heard that the today's Xbox is, in fact, full of ads but my PS4 has practically none. Which is another reason PS4 is ahead and is beating the crap out of Microsoft's 'monetezing' game.

So, to conclude, there are many reasons to do gaming on consoles but Microsoft casn't continue to support a console because what they are looking is not to provide a service to gamers but to use 'gaming' as a way to milk as much money from this specific cash cows demographics also known as 'gamers'. So keep singing them praises because it's good for you. Or so Microsoft would want you to believe.

Around the Network
avrwc2 said:

What MS is saying is "we lost so we are going to not only leave the arena and kill our much-hyped champion but we are going to do our best (or worst) to actually destroy the arena because this is a game that we can't win so nobody should play it."

I have nothing against PC and PC gaming, by  the way, but these are the reasons I prefer to play games on consoles and keep the PC for 'work' things and phones for making phone calls.

- malware/spyware: platforms such as the PS4 and Nintendo have been virus free and whatever 'tracking' of online activties they do, it is limited and understood.Of course, Microsoft's desperate attempts to spy on users through Kinect have been a contributing factor to them losing the console competition because most of us don't like to be tracked and observed in our living rooms.

- hacker proof: unlike PC games, console games are generally hacker-free. I like that. Microsoft's unifying PC games with their consoles will open up the Xbox games to hackers and there's will be no way to avoid them if Microsoft has its way.

- optimized to the max: yes, consoles are not as powerful as the most expensive gaming PCs but, thanks to their 'fixed' and well documented and well understood architecture, performance on a console is way better than what you'd get out of a similarly built PC. Once Microsoft releases some universal developers' platform, you can forget about optimization. You will find that 'new games' will work as poorly on the Xbox you bought one year ago as they do on the $400 PC that you bought a year go.

- efficient allocation of resources: consoles don't spent CPU cycles constantly defending themselves from viruses or doing the many other things that PCs do, with their multi-layered operating systems that translate into enormous overhead. The Xboxes of the future if such things will ever exist and the PCs, of course, have a million more things to worry about than a console does.

- very limited ads. I heard that the today's Xbox is, in fact, full of ads but my PS4 has practically none. Which is another reason PS4 is ahead and is beating the crap out of Microsoft's 'monetezing' game.

So, to conclude, there are many reasons to do gaming on consoles but Microsoft casn't continue to support a console because what they are looking is not to provide a service to gamers but to use 'gaming' as a way to milk as much money from this specific cash cows demographics also known as 'gamers'. So keep singing them praises because it's good for you. Or so Microsoft would want you to believe.

Damn, people still paranoid about Microsoft watching over us through the Kinect LOL. Haven't heard that one in years.

By the way, all the consoles we play are computers. If MS goes through with this plan of allowing us to upgrade Xbox consoles and putting out "windows console hardware", they will still be computers dedicated to gaming, just like we have right now. And Xbox has never been "full of ads" :)

Lastly, every one of these console manufacturers are looking for ways to milk money from consumers as much as possible. It's how business works.

avrwc2 said:

I can't take this post seriously.

Proud to be a Californian.

It will be a seprate unit that will connect to the Xbox one. It will will bypass processors of the motherboard and utilize the blue ray, and network features. It will also have its own hdmi. All games will be compatible. It will be like pc where if you have the xbox2 your games will be in high settings.

LudicrousSpeed said:
avrwc2 said:

Damn, people still paranoid about Microsoft watching over us through the Kinect LOL. Haven't heard that one in years.

By the way, all the consoles we play are computers. If MS goes through with this plan of allowing us to upgrade Xbox consoles and putting out "windows console hardware", they will still be computers dedicated to gaming, just like we have right now. And Xbox has never been "full of ads" :)

Lastly, every one of these console manufacturers are looking for ways to milk money from consumers as much as possible. It's how business works.

In fairness:

That's almost half of the menu screen occupied by ads.

Another example if you think that's a one-offL

That's more ads on your screen than not.

The only ad that I see on my PS4 outside of the store is on the video app section, it'll advertise one new movie or show amongst my apps, and it annoys me to no end.

Well it seems I'm not the only one with an uneasy gut feeling about UWP.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-04-epic-boss-accuses-microsoft-of-trying-to-monopolise-game-development-on-pc

It's the latest attempt at a walled garden. If you want to make use of UWP you have to live with all the restrictions and be tied to the windows 10 store.

It seems the reactions are divided into 2 camps.
A. It's ok, It's what Apple does too with their app store.
B. It sucks, PC was always a open platform.

Now with the recent restrictions on Tombraider and the debacle with Gears I'm leaning to camp B. Especially since I'm not ready to upgrade to Windows 10 and am apparently no longer of interest to MS until I do. Keeping PC games away from me until I cave in.
Unifying PC and XBox One apparently means locking down PC while letting you run XBox One games on more powerful locked down hardware. Basically not providing more hardware choices, but putting a big lock on your own hardware in the form of Windows 10.

I'll adopt my usual wait and see approach. Not in a hurry to upgrade nor shy of games to play.