By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to unify PC and Xbox One platforms, ending fixed console hardware

SvennoJ said:
Well it seems I'm not the only one with an uneasy gut feeling about UWP.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-04-epic-boss-accuses-microsoft-of-trying-to-monopolise-game-development-on-pc

It's the latest attempt at a walled garden. If you want to make use of UWP you have to live with all the restrictions and be tied to the windows 10 store.

It seems the reactions are divided into 2 camps.
A. It's ok, It's what Apple does too with their app store.
B. It sucks, PC was always a open platform.

Now with the recent restrictions on Tombraider and the debacle with Gears I'm leaning to camp B. Especially since I'm not ready to upgrade to Windows 10 and am apparently no longer of interest to MS until I do. Keeping PC games away from me until I cave in.
Unifying PC and XBox One apparently means locking down PC while letting you run XBox One games on more powerful locked down hardware. Basically not providing more hardware choices, but putting a big lock on your own hardware in the form of Windows 10.

I'll adopt my usual wait and see approach. Not in a hurry to upgrade nor shy of games to play.

Despite the MS PR that was fired back, I don't for a moment think MS wouldn't try making their own walled garden, they've seen how it worked for APple for years and I'd guess they think it would work well for them, trouble is a hell of a lot of PC gamers like PC for being open and being able to mod the list of games on the platform for decades, MS have always had a big anti modding stance and that alone would pose a big problem with them trying to make PC a closed platform, not everyone is going to settle for losing all the options we've had for decades. MS once tried to charge for online with PC gamers back with GFWL, PC gamers fought back and won, I would imagine the same happening once more, especially with other forms of competition not standing for a closed monopoly like this on a platform that's open.

THis whole plan of theirs and locking games to a single store that's restrictive along with the OS is exactly why I'll never upgrade to 10, I'd rather keep with 7 for a few years more and jump onto Steam OS or Linux as either are free, one being primarily supported by a games company and distributor along with Vulkan being supported by other parties.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I am sorry but your comments are on the shallow side.

That reminds me of old Bill Clinton defending his oral adventures with Monica as 'old news' so not worth talking about no more. The fact that 'you' haven't heard of MS spying on people is irellevant. The other fact is that (see Snowden's revelations) Microsoft was practically begging the government to take the keys to their 'services' - Skype, Outlook - and access them as they pleased.  I have no reasons to believe that they changed their MO since.

And. yes, consoles are 'comptuers'. And so are your microwave ovens and your pedometer so saying 'that' is irrelevant. What is relevant is, if MS has its way, you will feel as miserable as a 'not rich' PC gamer because your last year's Xbox will only play the newer games at he 'low' settings and in won't be able to play some at all. Unless you upgrade, of course. And in the case of Xboxes, upgrading will cost you 5 times as much as upgrading a 'normal' PC because MS will make sure that all the hardware add-ons are proprietary. How do I know that? Well, look at today's Xbox proprietary upgrade options.

Omfg this is getting too hilarious now 😆

About those ads..yes there's two small icons for upcoming games or new releases and one for free gold games. On games screen there's ads for game sales and new releases of games and dlc.. I personally find this only a positive thing, you know, since the console is for gaming.

SvennoJ said:
Well it seems I'm not the only one with an uneasy gut feeling about UWP.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-04-epic-boss-accuses-microsoft-of-trying-to-monopolise-game-development-on-pc

It's the latest attempt at a walled garden. If you want to make use of UWP you have to live with all the restrictions and be tied to the windows 10 store.

It seems the reactions are divided into 2 camps.
A. It's ok, It's what Apple does too with their app store.
B. It sucks, PC was always a open platform.

Now with the recent restrictions on Tombraider and the debacle with Gears I'm leaning to camp B. Especially since I'm not ready to upgrade to Windows 10 and am apparently no longer of interest to MS until I do. Keeping PC games away from me until I cave in.
Unifying PC and XBox One apparently means locking down PC while letting you run XBox One games on more powerful locked down hardware. Basically not providing more hardware choices, but putting a big lock on your own hardware in the form of Windows 10.

I'll adopt my usual wait and see approach. Not in a hurry to upgrade nor shy of games to play.

This is something really interesting, Microsoft, does not need Games to sell the OS, this is just PR, 99% of the People will update for the Next OS, just for convenience, or because they Tag the OS, with the PC, that are Sold, but with the Gaming on PC, and that is a Big Revenue, Valve, without launching 1 game already made 2-2.5 Billions of Revenue, with 500-600 Millions being because of CS Go, and Dota, so 100% goes to Valve from those Millions, and a part from the other ones, and Valve, acording to Steam Spy, already made more than 4.4 Billions of US$, with their games on Steam, 100% goes to Valve, because is Digital Only, and this without counting Microtransactions, from CS Go,  and Dota, so is a very profitable service, Much more profitable than Netflix, for Example.

Is a lose for Microsoft, because they will lost a great part of the Revenue, and Profit, but because of the 99% of the Windows Users, that don't play Video Game, this will not change nothing for Microsoft, is a Save move, and even if they get the Hate of the Developer, and Gaming Community, this will not affect Windows 10.

KiigelHeart said:

About those ads..yes there's two small icons for upcoming games or new releases and one for free gold games. On games screen there's ads for game sales and new releases of games and dlc.. I personally find this only a positive thing, you know, since the console is for gaming.

So, your logic is because you like the ads you see, They're not really ads, or you shouldn't really be bothered by them.

Okay. I'm the hilarious one.

When your competition menu looks like this:

Or this:

With literally not a single ad displayed.

And Xbox's main menu features over half of the main focal point with ads, it's more than fair to call xbox one's menu "full of ads" in comparison.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
KiigelHeart said:

So, your logic is because you like the ads you see, They're not really ads, or you shouldn't really be bothered by them.

Or this:

And Xbox's main menu features over half of the main focal point with ads, it's more than fair to call xbox one's menu "full of ads" in comparison.

It wasn't your post I found hilarious and I don't even know why you would think that. You didn't bring up ads and I didn't deny the existence of ads, did I? I simply pointed out that some of us like them, to know what's available to play so I don't think it's fair to say ads are ultimately a bad thing. Some Pepsi ads would be a whom another thing.

also if you scroll down from home page to section where your pinned games and apps are, there's no ads there.

edit. Ah ok I was distracted before and left out a part of my previous post so it did look.like I was laughing at your post. My apologies.

I mean, personally, that giant ad for the Hangover Part II, or  KIA car ad in the corner, that would be like a Pepsi ad to me in the sense that it has nothing to do with gaming, but that's just me. I don't see how anyone can argue that those ads don't detract from your console experience.

On a related note:

Also it appears that the Head of Epic games, the company that had input in the development of UWP, and just developed a flagship UWP game, absolutely despises the system and suggests that you do too.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/04/microsoft-monopolise-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

potato_hamster said:

I mean, personally, that giant ad for the Hangover Part II, or  KIA car ad in the corner, that would be like a Pepsi ad to me in the sense that it has nothing to do with gaming, but that's just me. I don't see how anyone can argue that those ads don't detract from your console experience.

That doesn't look like Xbox one interface and personally I've never seen non-gaming related ads on home page of any Xbox consoles. So I don't know what to say.

potato_hamster said:

On a related note:

Also it appears that the Head of Epic games, the company that had input in the development of UWP, and just developed a flagship UWP game, absolutely despises the system and suggests that you do too.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/04/microsoft-monopolise-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

I'm completely Clueless, Epic, isn't owned by Microsoft ?, or they just purchased the rights for Gears of War ?, because something owned by Microsoft, speaking bad about it, isn't good.

potato_hamster said:
KiigelHeart said:

Or this:

You need to Remember that Xbox One's inicial project was to be more a Multimidia Box for Tv, and Netflix, than a Gaming Console, this means that they already had ADS Deal before the Release of the Console, and with Majority being TV-Centric, this Kind of Ads is like Windows 10's Ads, and if isn't for Gaming, so is Useless, and even if is for Gaming, a lot of Ads became really annoying, on your last post you post the Ads on Xbox One, and half of the Scream was covered with a Breaking Bad's Ad, and this really have nothing to do with Xbox One, or Gaming, this kind of thing that isn't nice.

The menu whould be clear, and people just need to see the Ads when they are searching for Something, while you are searching for Series, is OK to have a Breaking Bad's Ad, but on the Main Menu, this can't happen.